PDA

View Full Version : The Time Machine

zeroforconduct
01-17-2008, 09:47 PM
Decided recently that some of my best (as well as worst) computer experiences were the result of fumbling around the Windows 98 environment. Coupling that with a fondness for some of the older PC games that flourished around the late nineties, I picked up an OEM version of 98SE on eBay and bought a refurbished box from these kind folks: http://www.pcretro.com.

Part of the pleasure (twisted though it may be) is recreating some of the utilities I remember using, like TweakUI or a basic version of WinZip (which at the time was a free download from Tucows). Unfortunately, I can't remember which version it was. Here at OldVersion, there are versions up to 10 but the more recent builds are a pretty large footprint (5-6 Mb), so I'd like to download one of the earlier versions, either 8 or 9. I don't use it for much but unzipping files so the more sophisticated features are not something I would typically use. Any thoughts?

The Dude
01-18-2008, 02:03 AM
You got yourself 1 awesome computer there!!!

Win98se rocks!!!!!!

Welcome to the site :)

the gaffer
02-13-2008, 04:25 PM
You got yourself 1 awesome computer there!!!

Win98se rocks!!!!!!

Welcome to the site :)

windows 98se does rock dude,strange as it may sound though im now running most of my boxes on xp , yep thats right xp , never thought i would but im actualy prefering it at the moment,still think it will be a long long time before i give up the 98se altogether, i also have one pc that runs windows m.e just fantastic and i wouldnt change it for nothing,i still think there would be no need for broadband myself if programs were like they used to be and not bloated like a balloon with mbs and mbs of bloatware,used to download just fine on dial up.seems software is getting just as obese as society lol lol