PDA

View Full Version : Read this! Changes at OldVersion.com

OldVersion.com Admin
02-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Hey guys,

Long time, no major updates. Don't fret, I am not dead yet! In the next few weeks, there will be some major changes to OldVersion.com. They will be the good kind of changes where your functionality will be improved and not hindered. Before these plans are put in motions, I want to get some feedback from everyone on what we want to see changed here on our site. Here are features that I currently feel will help this site grow quickly, as well as provide large amount of growth in a short period of time. Please do me a huge favor and read them carefully and tell me what you think about them!

- Have individual information for each individual file. It's extremely overbearing to have 100 different old versions to choose from with no real direction on where to go, even if you are an expert user. So we want to make available hardware information, what operating system the version is intended for, date released, a changelook. Perhaps screenshots, but only if it won't clutter things up too much. We want this to remain a very simple site where you can go and find the file you want, get the old version, and get back to whatever you were doing quickly.

Implementing these changes will require everyone's help.

There's currently thousands of files on this site - I can't practically update all this information myself without taking another twenty years to do it, unless I somehow find super-ninja strength (if you know where it is, email me). So we are developing a user-registration system where people will be able to register for the site if they wish and update the information easily. Registration WILL NOT be necessary for downloading files, simply contributing information to ensure that malicious files don't find their way here. Then, administrators simply approve the information for quality control. In the same sense, files will be easy to submit as well. What do you guys think of these ideas? Will you help us fill in the blanks for the large amounts of files? This needn't be a chore - for files you have information for, fill it in. We'll keep track of all this and perhaps award some small prizes for people who contribute the largest amount of information. Who knows, we'll have some fun with it.

We'll also have voting enabled for people to rank individual files so that may give people an idea of what people like to download.

We are completely open to your ideas and critisicms, so contribute if you have a free moment and lets continue growing this site.

killerfoxtv
02-23-2008, 01:41 PM
maybe changing the theme would be a really great idea...!

killerfoxtv
02-23-2008, 01:44 PM
what if people abuse that sort of membership? or are you only going to give them read access, but they can just messege you if they think something needs changing...like that?

i think that is a really good idea... it would be great if this website got even better than it allready is!! maybe you shoud make it a bit more user friendly, like let the user search for programs. Sometimes when I search for the name of a program, a forum link comes up.

OldVersion.com Admin
02-23-2008, 01:54 PM
what if people abuse that sort of membership? or are you only going to give them read access, but they can just messege you if they think something needs changing...like that?

i think that is a really good idea... it would be great if this website got even better than it allready is!! maybe you shoud make it a bit more user friendly, like let the user search for programs. Sometimes when I search for the name of a program, a forum link comes up.

That's a great point. We would have quality controls in place to make sure only high quality content gets published. The administrators role would be to check all the information. And yes, we will also tweak the search! Thanks.

the gaffer
02-23-2008, 04:22 PM
sounds all good to me,user voting is an excellent idea as many prefer to go for a version that is rated highly by others,as for the ninja power i reckon that LOCUST had it all he seems to be off on a mission lately.

locustfurnace
02-24-2008, 01:35 PM
sounds all good to me,user voting is an excellent idea as many prefer to go for a version that is rated highly by others,as for the ninja power i reckon that LOCUST had it all he seems to be off on a mission lately.

No, my "Ninja-Powers" have only be redirected and focused mostly into Photography these days while computers have taken a second seat.

As for the site, I hope to see a place to start adding in Mac software. Be it PPC or Universal binaries or looking towards the future, aimed at Intel binaries.

I would like to see a specific form for the information to be added and followed. So that things are easier to understand what someone is trying to explain, without people making up their own words and their own layouts describing the information.

I think the simple way I had layed out the "Howto Request an App" has helped out a lot over the years. Being a simple template, that was easy to follow and easy to understand what the user was asking.

Without some sort of a template to follow, file information could get ugly. So hopefully when a user adds such information it will be via drop-down menu templates or a copy-n-paste form.

The Dude
02-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Excellent!

I reckon these changes will take effect when we upgrade to 3.7.

Thanx Alex!

killerfoxtv
03-01-2008, 03:07 PM
hey,
instead of using vbulletin why dont you use phpBB instead?
it looks better and is free also.
i use it in my website, it is really good.
it is even better than some ones that you have to pay for.
search phpBB on google. the file (i think) is 2 - 4MB

The Dude
03-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Although phpBB is good,its not as good as VBB :)

hettar
05-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Yes! Nice information that you have shared with us.

Thank you very much!

Tafalezono
02-05-2009, 06:42 AM
I think it would be really useful if version release dates could be displayed together with the version numbers. Could this possibly be added in the future?

The Dude
02-08-2009, 05:16 AM
You can find out version release dates on the VBB site itself!

www.vbulletin.com/forum

Welcome to the site bud :)

OldVersion.com Admin
02-10-2009, 07:03 PM
I think it would be really useful if version release dates could be displayed together with the version numbers. Could this possibly be added in the future?

I assume you mean release dates of the programs listed on OldVersion.com. This is being worked on :). We're almost there, guys.

The Dude
02-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Welcome to the site :)

OldVersion.com Admin
02-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Just a question - what do you mean by hashing?

Constance
02-20-2009, 12:42 AM
I guess he means that the hashes for files (you know, calculation results based on file contents, to check they are not corrupted, such as CRC, MD5, SHA-1 ...) should be displayed.

Chattycat
01-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Like everything else, the better things were made in the past and
that goes with clothing too. Just had to throw this in...
I loved I.E. 6 and never wanted to changed, when they moved to I.E. 7, now I.E. 8. give me the good old versions anytime.
thanks for lett me blow off some steam.

Constance
01-12-2010, 09:04 AM
Huh that thread isn't really dedicated for this, you know ?

The Dude
01-21-2010, 07:42 PM
I loved I.E. 6 and never wanted to changed, when they moved to I.E. 7, now I.E. 8. give me the good old versions anytime.
thanks for lett me blow off some steam.

I dont blame you.... IE 7 AND 8 ARE COMPLETE CRAP!!

IE6 is the best of the series :)

coolnice
05-10-2010, 02:14 AM
I would like to see a specific form for the information to be added and followed. So that things are easier to understand what someone is trying to explain, without people making up their own words and their own layouts describing the information.

AlleneTullw
03-03-2011, 12:37 AM
^: heh, thanks. This give me some ideas.