PDA

View Full Version : Copernic 2

jbjbjbjb
10-02-2008, 06:11 PM
Hi. Having recently upgraded (in a non-reversible way) to Copernic 3 I definitely want to go back to the good old days of Copernic 2. Please help!

the gaffer
10-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Why do you state in a non reversible way ??? please give more details as to what it is you have a problem with and we may be able to help,please state exact problem OS you are using etc etc etc

jbjbjbjb
10-03-2008, 10:39 AM
I use vista home edition. I recently reinstalled everything, and when looking for my old programs on the net noticed and installed the latest copernic software. I stated this because an obvious solution would have been to roll-back to a previous windows configuration using the windows system restore function.

On this same forum I have since found some links for various copernic v1 releases, but the one I downloaded of these crashes regularly.

Copernic 2 worked fine for me, even though I know that others complained of it being too slow. Copernic 3 seems more limited, and annoying adverts that just bother me. It may be slower too though I haven't been able to check that.

Thanks

alafortanfuni
10-13-2008, 08:05 AM
I'm having the same problem. 3.0 version is annoying.
"Search as you type" function is disabled in free version. And I didn't see any speed up in version 3.
I searched and found the old version in a forum. Version 2.3 build 30

http://depositfiles.com/en/files/6936586

MysticRunes
10-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Hello all,
ZDnet still has the 2.3 version for download. I've been able to disable Copernic 2.3 "update feature" so I can continue using the 2.3 version without the nagging prompts to update...
First, exit the Copernic program by right-clicking the icon in the system tray.
In Regedit, go to Local Machine-->Software-->Copernic-->DesktopSearch2-->System.
There are three entries of interest: LastSoftwareUpdate, LastSoftwareUpdateShown and UpdateAvailable.
Open your Windows system clock and change your system date to some date very far away, like October 2020.
Open Copernic Desktop Search again; you will get an "update" notification. Click Cancel.
Go back to Regedit and hit "F5"; the LastSoftwareUpdateShown value will have changed. Copy the hex value in this key to the LastSoftwareUpdate key. Then change UpdateAvailable value to "0".
Change your system time back to today's date.
No more notifications.
Let me know if this works for you!

WindsurferLA
12-11-2008, 10:14 AM
My general policy is to pay for the software that I use, but I rebel when something is offered as free and then taken away without notice. Had it been offered originally as a limited time trial, my position would be different. That said, I want to make sure my wife and family don't inadvertently "update" my version of Copernic.

MysticRunes describes a procedure for disabling Copernic Update reminders. I'm reluctant to edit registry but if there is no other way...

Looking at my registry, I went to Computer|Software|Copernic|DesktopSearch2|Config but I could not find a "system" directory.

I found "LastServiceVersionRun" heading, but no headings for
LastSoftwareUpdate, LastSoftwareUpdateShown, or
Update Available.

Is there some other way, perhaps by setting my browser to block access to the Copernic server?

debile
07-13-2009, 10:26 PM
File is still here
Copernic Desktop Search 2.3 build 18----shine download (http://www.shinedownload.com/software/Copernic-Desktop-Search/2519.html)

I think OldVersion should host it; my guess is that copernic is actively removing all traces of that one since it has more features than in V3 (if you want these features in V3, you need to pay 50$)

komrade
09-14-2009, 03:53 AM
I've got Copernic running perfectly now!
The best free version they ever made - version 2.30 - build 30.
Got it from the link on this forum.

No ADS
Find the ApplicationConfig.ini file at
C:\Program Files\Copernic Desktop Search 2\FileRepository\50

and change the first line AdEnabled="True"
to AdEnabled="False"

No update nag
Just put your clock forward a few years, open Copernic, click Cancel to the update, then put your clock back to today.
I didn't need to mess with the registry (as above).

This program was by far the best desktop search, and with these changes it's perfect! :)

AMPwerx
11-07-2009, 06:55 AM
I appreciate the helpful hints to recoup version 2.3.

Thx!
-A

RNFolsom
12-12-2009, 08:54 PM
I've got Copernic running perfectly now!
The best free version they ever made - version 2.30 - build 30.
Got it from the link on this forum. . . .
Komrade:

I'm a brand new registered user on Old Version, and I want to find Copernic 2.30 build 30.

Aside from the good things I've read in this thread about 2.3, my reason for wanting 2.3 (even if I had to pay for it) is that according to Copernic's website, version 3.x requires XP or Vista, but I intend to keep using Windows 2000 as long as my security software (Eset's NOD32) continues to support it.

Where should I start looking to find that Copernic 2.3 build 30 file "on this forum"?

In message immediately preceding yours in this thread (from debile, 07-13-2009) , there was a link, but apparently that link now is dead. Not surprising, given that July was awhile back.

Thanks for any help.

R.N. (Roger) Folsom

the gaffer
12-12-2009, 11:59 PM
I'm having the same problem. 3.0 version is annoying.
"Search as you type" function is disabled in free version. And I didn't see any speed up in version 3.
I searched and found the old version in a forum. Version 2.3 build 30

Deposit Files (http://depositfiles.com/en/files/6936586)

RNFolsom this link above is still active and working and i believe is the same version you seek

RNFolsom
12-15-2009, 04:25 PM
RNFolsom this link above is still active and working and i believe is the same version you seek
The Gaffer: I had already tried the "Deposit Files" link, but couldn't figure out what to click on in the minimal time allowed, which seemed to be only a very few seconds. (I don't mind paying for stuff, but a six months Gold subscription seemed a bit high for probably will be a one file download.)

But your message inspired me to try again. I don't have a clue about what I clicked on (I clicked on all sorts of stuff, and then remembered that NoScript might be blocking the download, so I fixed that) and then a download window opened and copernicdesktopsearch.rar was on its way. I don't think my Winzip 9 SR-1 unpacks RAR files, but Google apparently thinks that there a lot of utilities that do so.

If you have any recommendation for the simplest minimal install rar unpacker (this is my first rar file since the early 1980s, and possibly my last), please let me know. Otherwise I'll just pick something off the Google search at random, e.g. ExtractNow.

Thanks for solving this! All of the other alleged Copernic 2.x files available on other sites (I've downloaded four of them) are .exe files of size 7,423,776 bytes, exactly the same size as Copernic 3.2.1.8. And when I checked those "2.x" files' properties > version, the version turned out to be 3.2.1.8.

Roger Folsom

the gaffer
12-15-2009, 04:35 PM
roger, the best there is Download (http://www.7-zip.org/download.html) small, easy to use and fast.

RNFolsom
12-15-2009, 11:32 PM
roger, the best there is Download (http://www.7-zip.org/download.html) small, easy to use and fast. Thanks. I just now downloaded it. 7z465.exe, only 918kb, a tad smaller than ExtractNow at 939kb. (I decided I wasn't ready for the 7z909.exe Beta.)

I looked for some 7-zip documentation at SourceForge, but didn't find any (other than the comments about version 909). So I'm assuming that 7-zip will be self-explanatory.

To me, the 7-zip name is a bit weird, but maybe it's nothing more than the belief that 7 is a lucky number.

Thanks again for making Copernic2 available to me!

Roger Folsom

the gaffer
12-16-2009, 10:34 AM
7zip is as simple as,install it and then you will find a short cut under your right click menu,simply right click your rar files and then go 7zip and extract here,it is a far better app than winzip in my opinion. as for the help youre welcome,enjoy the forums.

RNFolsom
12-19-2009, 02:36 AM
7zip is as simple as,install it and then you will find a short cut under your right click menu,simply right click your rar files and then go 7zip and extract here,it is a far better app than winzip in my opinion. as for the help youre welcome,enjoy the forums. Thanks again. Roger Folsom

RobCr
12-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Thanks for the 'heads up' on v 2.3 Build 30
When I extract the .rar, I get the correct version exe, but I also get a .htm file with a Russian name.
Should I be worried ?
Anyone else get the same thing, and have run it without problems ?
Thanks,
Rob (new member)

RNFolsom
12-31-2009, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the 'heads up' on v 2.3 Build 30
When I extract the .rar, I get the correct version exe, but I also get a .htm file with a Russian name.
Should I be worried ?
Anyone else get the same thing, and have run it without problems ?
Thanks,
Rob (new member)
Rob: Please excuse my tardy reply, but I've been focusing on Christmas and the holiday season rather than on emails and computing.

The quick answer to your questions are: Should you be worried? Answer: Apparently not, explanation below.
Did anyone else get the same [mystery .htm file] in addition to the copernic2 exe file? Answer: yes. I got it (or at least something similar; check your mystery filename with my mystery filename, given below). Whether anyone else got a mystery file I know not.

[Digression: I used ExtractNow (by Nathan Moinvaziri) rather than 7-zip (by Igor Pavlov) because I had already downloaded ExtractNow before I got the 7-zip recommendation earlier in this thread. I probably won't keep either one installed, because I don't expect to ever get another rar file. I don't do much compressing or decompressing, so WinZip 9.0 SR1 is enough for me.]

Like you, when I "unrared" (decompressed) the Copernic2.rar file, I got a mystery htm file with some weird symbols that, thanks to you, I now know are Russian. My mystery file title is:
Прочитай подумай! может пригодится.htm
Its modification date is 01-Aug-08, and its size is 8,194 bytes. If yours differs, let me know.

The copernicdesktopsearch.exe file that came out of my rar file installed with no problems. Its modification date is 05-Jul-08 at 23:01:40 and its size is 5,854,128 bytes.

When I double-click my mystery file to open it (I could be brave because I had already made image backups of my C: and D: partitions), I get the following message (I've taken out the spacing between paragraphs):

"File Not Found
"The file /D:/[path to the folder where the rar file and also copernic2.exe and also the mystery file are located on my computer]/CopernicSearch2Temp/???????? ???????! ????? ??????????.htm cannot be found.
"Please check the location and try again.
* Could the item have been renamed, removed, or relocated?
* Is there a spelling, capitalization, or other typographical error in the address?
* Do you have sufficient access permissions to the requested item?"

My [I]guess is that the mystery file is supposed to have an accompanying folder containing its content.

In any case, after installing Copernic2 and then reading your message, I ran a "demand scan" (Eset's NOD32 v4.0.467, antivirus and antispyware), and then a Webroot Spysweeper scan, and no problems were found.

I hope this helps. Here's hoping that someone else reading this knows something about the mystery
Прочитай подумай! может пригодится.htm
file.

Roger Folsom

the gaffer
12-31-2009, 01:55 AM
I personally wouldnt be concerned by this file File extension HTM (http://www.file-extensions.org/htm-file-extension)

RNFolsom
01-02-2010, 02:53 PM
I personally wouldnt be concerned by this file File extension HTM (http://www.file-extensions.org/htm-file-extension)

Thanks.

Now that I have Copernic2 installed, I have some comments and questions:

In the initial setup, I was glad to be able to limit Copernic's scans to my D: (Data) partition, because there's no reason for Copernic2 to keep track of my C: partition (which is Windows and other software only; no data).

1) I also told Copernic not to mess with MS Internet Explorer (which I use only for windows Updates). I assume that's why --- in the Search window --- the "Favorites" and "History" icons, (which I guess mean MSIE's Favorites and MSIE's browsing history) say "indexing disabled." Correct?

2) In Display Settings, there is an "All" checkbox, and also checkboxes for Emails (apparently only Outlook or Outlook Express, neither of which I use because I use Mozilla SeaMonkey email and browser), Files, Music, Pictures, Videos, Contacts, Favorites, and History. What else would "All" cover? For example, does "Files" include Folder names also, or to include Folder names must All be checked?

Roger Folsom
P.S. Thanks to komrade, message #8 in this thread, for explaining how to eliminate Copernic advertisements.

And thanks to MysticRunes, message #5 in this thread, for explaining how to eliminate "nagging prompts to update." In my own case, I am running Windows 2000 Sp4, and I expect to continue doing so for the foreseeable future (the reason is a long boring story), even though MS will drop Windows Updates beginning in July 2010.
And Copernic's latest 3.x version requires Windows XP.

quark
03-12-2010, 03:22 AM
Thanks for all this valuable information.
I have uninstalled verson 3.2.2 and installed version 2.3 build 30 from the deposit link.
All went OK, but the program does not index. it gives in the left corner below the message "indexing disabled" .
I have no clue how to enable this. Windows XP SP3

Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot.

NOTE : Have "solved" the problem , it seems to be a matter of selecting the things to be indexed (email/folders etc.), all of which appeared to be unselected...probably due to the customised installation

NOTE2:
still does not work, indexing remains IDLE, the above mentioned selections will disappear after restarting the PC or the program...
this is strange..

I have freshly installed the same version 2 on antoher PC, and this works without problems (laptop with Windows7)..so it is not caused by a possible faulty program.

Therefor I guess somewhere the first installed version 3 leaves some traces?...preventing version 2 from functioning properly..
could this be the case?
when I to reinstall version 3, this one will work OK .
version 2 has been reinstalled after uninstalling, and restarting the PC, etc. so what else can I do..., any ideas?

RNFolsom
03-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Last edited by quark; Today at 03:02 AM. Reason: still in trouble
Quark:

On my Win2kSp4 computer, when I installed Copernic 2 I did it without ever having installed any Copernic version previously (3.x doesn't run on Win2k), and also I run Copernic 2 only occasionally and at the moment it is not loaded, so the following ideas may be completely irrelevant.

Nevertheless, if no one else comes up with better ideas, here goes:

I guess somewhere the first installed version 3 leaves some traces?...preventing version 2 from functioning properly.. could this be the case?My own guess is that the answer to your question is yes. Therefore I suggest the following:

1) I would uninstall whatever Copernic version or versions you now have installed.

2) I would make a complete backup of your registry --- or, even better, a complete backup image of your partition C: (assuming you have the WinXP and your software installations all on partition C: and your data on some other partition such as D:.) But if that's not practical, a registry backup should be adequate.

Your WinXP version of regedit may differ from my XP version (I'd guess that it is), but hopefully the following instructions make sense to you anyway.

While in your Administrator account: Open regedit (start menu, run, type in regedit), select "my computer" in the left (or only) column, then select Edit, Find, make sure that in the "look in" region all three items are checked, and below that region make sure that that "Match whole string only" is NOT checked, then type into the "Find what" field the word "Copernic" (capitalization doesn't matter), and search for Copernic.

Then delete all references to Copernic, regardless whether they are keys, value, or data.

After you get message that says Copernic can't be found, exit regedit, and Reboot.

Log on to each of your Limited User (or any non-administrator accounts), and go through the same regedit routine. (At least in Win2k, even in an Administrator account Regedit doesn't look into non-administrator accounts; you have to look into each one separately.)

After each time you run Regedit, reboot.

Exception: If you have Windows Regclean (or any other registry cleaner with which you are completely comfortable) installed, then after each reboot run that, and let it delete any residue (e.g. class ids {lots of letters and numbers, I think 16 of them} that the registry cleaner finds. Reboot after each time you run the registry cleaner.

Then install Copernic 2.

I'm about to run off for a crucial appointment, so after I get back, later today or early tomorrow I will run Copernic 2 and see if I can find the "indexing disabled" message. I did a Google search for Copernic "indexing disabled" and to my surprise I came up with no hits. You might try some variations, e.g. "index disabled," with and without quotes.

Roger Folsom

RNFolsom
03-13-2010, 02:15 PM
. . . I have uninstalled verson 3.2.2 and installed version 2.3 build 30 from the deposit link.
All went OK, but the program does not index. It gives in the left corner below the message "indexing disabled". I have no clue how to enable this. . . .
NOTE1: Have "solved" the problem; it seems to be a matter of selecting the things to be indexed (email/folders etc.), all of which appeared to be unselected...probably due to the customised installation.
NOTE2: Still does not work, indexing remains IDLE, the above mentioned selections will disappear after restarting the PC or the program. . . .
Quark:

My previous message [Friday 12 March 02:02 PM PST], agreeing to your thought that

[I]Therefore I guess somewhere the first installed version 3 leaves some traces? ... preventing version 2 from functioning properly ... could this be the case?probably is irrelevant overkill. Since posting it, I searched the registry for Copernic entries, and discovered that there are very many Copernic entries, plus many more related Class ID numbers. And I did not find any registry settings for "selecting the things to be indexed (email/folders etc.)." They may have been there, but I didn't find them.

In short, the registry strategy that I suggested in my preceding message was based on my experience with programs that I now realize were much simpler --- at least with regard to their registry entries --- then Copernic is.

However, I have since discovered that Copernic2's default location for its indexes is either
C:\Documents and Settings\WindowsAccountName\Application Data\Copernic\DesktopSearch2\
OR
C:\Documents and Settings\WindowsAccountName\Local Settings\Application Data\Copernic\DesktopSearch2\

[See the P.S. below for how I discovered, for each Windows account, those two alternative Copernic Index locations.]

So, after uninstalling all versions of Copernic, but before messing with the registry, I would check all of the locations listed above and delete any Copernic folders and subfolders that you find.

The next two paragraphs are optional, and perhaps you shouldn't bother with them until trying the ideas at the end of this message.

If you have access to MS Regclean or some other Registry cleaner (as discussed in my preceding message), I would run that, and reboot.

And then if you have something such as Norton Systemworks' WinDoctor --- which lets you know all registry entries that reference some folder or file that the registry thinks is on your hard drive but that really isn't there, and then lets you repair the registry entry or delete it --- I would run that also, delete references to Copernic, and reboot.

Then a truly fresh installation of Copernic2 very likely would work, meaning start to index right away.

But if not, follow up on your NOTE1: At Tools, Options, check every item in the left column (but especially Files) and make sure that there is something there for Copernic2 to index.

Then try the Tools | Options | Update Index command.

If that doesn't work, go to Tools | Options | Advanced | Other | Index Location and click on the "Clear index and reindex all" link.

Then again try the Tools | Options | Update Index command.

Here's hoping, on your behalf, that something works.

Meanwhile, if anyone else reading this knows where Copernic's Tools | Options settings are stored, I hope they tell us where that location is.

Roger Folsom

P.S. I discovered those two different Copernic Search Index locations for each Windows account on two different occasions last night, after I realized that several weeks ago, when I restored a previous partition C: backup image in order to clean install the lastest Mozilla SeaMonkey Browser/Email combination, I had eliminated my Copernic2 installation. So I installed Copernic2 (which was a clean install). Then in setting Copernic2's settings for my Administrator and Limited User accounts, and for both accounts moving the Index location [Copernic Tools | Options | Advanced | Index Location] from partition C: to a common location for both accounts on partition D:, I discovered where the Index Locations had been on partition C:.