PDA

View Full Version : Older Icq Clients

chicane
10-26-2002, 07:43 PM
Great site. I downloaded ICQ 99 cause 2002 really sucks, and AOL still didn't get it right with their ICQ "lite" release. Lite is now slow beacuse of the skinned window.. what were thinking?! :angry:

Anyway, back to ICQ 99 here, I cannot register my UIN no matter what I do. I've tried searching the 'net for a solution, but it seems useless. Do you guys know? Everytime I register my UIN, ICQ says "Registering User" until it says an error has occured. I'm guessing AOL won't let users register old clients in an effort to force me to use their bloated, advertising piece of shit they like to call "ICQ 2002" but there's got to be a way around it, isn't there?

Sandstorm
10-28-2002, 10:36 PM
Hey I finally got ICQ99a installed again after pressing the register button for 30 minutes
It finally worked. Hell I was able to do another time a few days later after accidently deleting it.

Just keep trying and eventually you should get it.

But its a b***h to use cause i keep getting disconnected if i try to do a lot of things besides sending and receieving messages.

xeni
11-10-2002, 02:16 AM
I had to persist a lot to keep my oldd 99 icq version. But it frustrates us by not allowing authorizations, taking for ever to get into chat mode, disconnects, and endlessly repeating messages..etc Solution, use Trillian, even if you only use it for ICQ and none othe other IMs. Solid. Secure connections and file transfers, instantly add buddies...each window is a chat window if kept open. Wonderful. No adds, and free. By the way, I did not reinstall my old version on my computer. All you need is your nick and password and do your preferences once icq accept your old user account :)

Ric Gates
11-10-2002, 04:06 PM
Do a search for Trillian - it does ICQ, I think you'll like it.
I had trouble with ICQ99 also, I never did install 2k because of the ads, I just use Trillian now.

--
| Ric

guest_FireFox31
11-26-2002, 10:32 AM
I'm a diehard fan of ICQ 98a but, at last check, it just WOULD NOT run at all. My only guess is that the old ICQ servers are hardcoded into the program and when AOL bought them, those servers were decomissioned. Thus, there's no way for ICQ 98a to connect to the new servers.

But I must say, ICQ99a did a great job migrating my massive log files and histories. I just like 98a better. And thoughts?

Ric Gates
11-26-2002, 10:46 PM
I don't remember what the difference was.

Brian
12-06-2002, 05:05 AM
I've been lurking around in here for about a month now.

I've accidentally downloaded some other chat client similar to Trillian, and they just registered me another ICQ number without asking me first. I've thought with no problem I'd be able to delete (unregistered) the ICQ number by using the ICQ client, but to my surprise AOL has that feature/option discontinued on the new version.

I've just downloaded the older ICQ version to use the unregistered feature/option, I kept getting a message saying "Database Down. Try again in short time."

Anyway, does anyone know of a way I could get the ICQ number I don't want to keep deleted?

Many thanks!