PDA

View Full Version : Icq Without Ads

Qwer Ty
04-06-2003, 02:35 PM
Excluding ICQ lite, what is the most recent version of ICQ without advertisments in the individual message windows?

guest_Brian
04-10-2003, 12:09 PM
i may be wrong, but i believe icq started using ads when they made 2000b

BlueNoah
04-11-2003, 06:49 PM
You can get rid of ads in newer version of ICQ using ICQPlus, when you have a skin on, the ads do not show up. It's not really an ideal solution, but it works in a pinch.

Nichers
04-14-2003, 04:05 PM
There's a few sites around that explain how to remove ads from later versions, but these days, it usually seems to involve deleting your history database.

Flying Gino
05-01-2003, 02:46 PM
If you really want ICQ with no adds use Trillian.
www.trillian.cc
its a clone of ICQ that can also do AOL, MSN, IRC and Yahoo.

Brian
05-10-2003, 04:53 PM
Yeah, Trillian (and other clients like EasyMessage, Odigo, Lycos, etc) will do the trick having no banners, but it doesn't bother me using ICQ client.

locustfurnace
05-28-2003, 09:36 PM
you can use older versions of icq, but due to change in protocol to v7 or v8, you wont get your offline messages, but can still send,
its easy to stop the banners, no hacking

go to the icq folder, find the file/folder called AteBrowser

delete it, make a txt file with same name, make it read-only.
thats it.
thats all i ever do.

Goslow
06-21-2003, 07:46 PM

thats it.
thats all i ever do.

Hmmm youre lucky this didnt work for me
ICQ2003a
Win98
I.E.5

It disabled ICQ s.m.s. at first attempt & then ICQ just rewrote the folder & I have those lovely (not) adds back

locustfurnace
06-21-2003, 11:41 PM
sorry to hear that. that is how i currently set up all icq clients for people i help out.
its possible, that you are not setting up explorer to SHOW AL FILE EXTENSIONS.
look in any folder. see if the files all end with a DOT.EXE, DOT .TXT, if not. that will not permit the creation of a file named ATEBROWSER, without adding the creator extension, such as .txt

so if you arent seeing the .txts, you need to permit all extensions to be shown. then now when you create files. you will need to add the last 3 file creator extensions.
and if you do not add the last 3, you then can create files with no extensions, which is required when making the ATEBROWSER file i mention above.

since explorer defaults to hiding the last 3 letters on all files. it needs to be shown. if you arent seeing them, its hiding them.
can be changed via
Windows Explorer / TOOLS / Folder Otpions / VIEW

Goslow
06-24-2003, 06:39 AM
sorry to hear that. that is how i currently set up all icq clients for people i help out.
Thanks for the long go slow:-) explaination I created the txt file & deleted the .txt extension .All is well add free & s.ms working :-)

locustfurnace
06-24-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Goslow@Jun 24 2003, 06:39 AM

Thanks for the long go slow:-) explaination I created the txt file & deleted the .txt extension .All is well add free & s.ms working :-)
your welcome, glad it now works for you.

DuLLiFieD
07-02-2003, 02:08 AM
wanna know when ICQ started with ads? here's when: when they started werking with the worlds sh!ttiest ISP that will ever be.....
who else but AOL!!!

oh and another thing you all may enjoy...

guess who owns the click-thru ad company?? yep, u guessed it, AOL!!

and aol's against SPAM?! lol i think not, one of the most expensive providers and they have an ad on almost every window on thier service.....

why anyone would spend $25+ a month to view a bunch of ads is beyond me!

shyt one could use one of the free IPSs out there and only have ONE rotating banner ad....

AOL SUCKS, they ruin everything they get thier hands or software on. :lol:

peace all
Visit www.WASTEOID.com (http://www.WASTEOID.com)

locustfurnace
07-02-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by DuLLiFieD@Jul 2 2003, 02:08 AM
wanna know when ICQ started with ads? here's when: when they started werking ....who else but AOL!!!

Icq is not working with AOL. ICQ was made by a company in Israel called Mirabillis. and AOL bought it from them for $400 million.

If you dont like the ads, follow this post to the begining, and find my explanation on how to get rid of them.

Rimmer1
07-09-2003, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by locustfurnace@May 28 2003, 09:36 PM
you can use older versions of icq, but due to change in protocol to v7 or v8, you wont get your offline messages, but can still send,

thats it.
thats all i ever do.
Does this work with 2003a build 3800?

I have followed your instructions as best i can, and still it doesn't work.

I think i'm supposed to delete the folder called AteBrowser, and the make a .txt file called AteBrowser.txt......then make it read only, if so i have done this but it doesn't work :(

Any suggestions?

Cheers :):)

locustfurnace
07-09-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Rimmer1@Jul 9 2003, 05:06 AM
I think i'm supposed to delete the folder called AteBrowser, and the make a .txt file called AteBrowser.txt......then make it read only,
you need to enable SHOWING of the file extensions within windows explorer. which I describe also in this posting up above.

the file will be a txt file, but without the DOT txt extension.
it will be a file without any known icon also. so if your ending up with a txt icon on the ATEBROWSER file you made, ya know it is not correct.

you must enable these options - SHOW ALL FILE EXTENSIONS within WINDOWS EXPLORER's folder options.

it will work. I just a day ago helped someone else do just such on her Windows ME.
just take your time, follow the directions above in this post. and you'll have success.
its not too difficult. but if you skip showing all file extensions, then it will fail ever single time.
make sure you delete the folder ATEBROWSER before making the txt file portion.

Popcorn
09-14-2003, 05:51 AM
I did all that you said in the above post. It does show as an unknown icon, but I still get a banner on my IM window. I use 2000b
Got any idea how to fix it?
Thanks.

Popcorn
09-14-2003, 05:56 AM
I did all that you said in the above post. It does show as an unknown icon, but I still get a banner on my IM window. I use 2000b
Thanks.

locustfurnace
09-14-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Popcorn@Sep 14 2003, 05:56 AM
Thanks.
your talking about the blank tan colored banner? if so, the only way to remove that is when you reinstall ICQ ontop the older version.
so usually when they update the client and you install the newest one, but leaving the old version there, it removes the banner.
for me, i just reinstall icq ontop of the old version, (or same version), to remove the banner

ramian
09-15-2003, 10:31 AM
Two ways for a 100% clean ICQ 2001/2002 (No Ads or Ad Boxes) Not sure if this works with 2003 but then, there's no harm trying.

1. Making a clean install:
- install it
- before the first start of ICQ kill the ICQhttp.dll
- Delete the AteBrowser folder and create a "Read Only" text file named AteBrowser (No Extension)
- set Auto Update = No ( HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mirabilis\ICQ\DefaultP refs )
- your ICQ will stay add-free

2. Killing adds from a existing version:
! You will loose your message history and most of your settings !
! Your contact list MUST be on ICQ server, or you will lose it too!

- Completely Close ICQ
- delete ICQhttp.dll
- set Auto Update = No ( HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mirabilis\ICQ\DefaultP refs )
- remove the 2001a folder and the Contact List folder
- Delete the AteBrowser folder and create a "Read Only" text file named AteBrowser (No Extension)
- restart ICQ
- type in your ICQ Number and password
- set all your lost settings again
- Contact List will be loaded from the server
- ICQ will stay 100 % add-free

ICQLite

Here a complete and hopefully most simple step-by-step guide:

*) First, shut down ICQ Lite if it's running
*) Click "Start"/"Run..." and key in "regedit"
*) Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mirabilis\ICQ\ICQLite and change the values of LiteBannersActive, LiteCLBannerActive and LiteInterOpActive to "0".
*) Now right-click on key "ICQLite" (in the left pane) and select "Permissions"
*) In the permissions window, click the "Advanced" button
*) Now, deselect the first checkbox which says something about inherited permissions and click "Remove" in the appearing dialog, which will remove all entries in the list, then click the "Apply" button. Why? This will remove all permissions set on this key and disable inheritance. We have successfully blocked ALL access to this key and it's values.
*) Now we have to re-enable value reading so ICQ can find out what we think of its advertisments. Click "Add", key in "Everyone" and click "OK". Now just select the "Grant" of the second entry ("read values") in the list and click "OK". Close the other permission windows with "OK". Note that we gave Everyone access to this key, for simplicity reasons - this will be no big security issue ;-)

Now you can test this by simply trying to change the value of one of the entries to anything else with regedit - you should receive an error which says the new value could not be written.

*) Additionally, you can get rid of the welcome screen by opening HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE&#092;SOFTWARE&#092;Mirabilis&#092;ICQ&#092;NewOwner s&#092;<YOUR_ICQ_NUMBER>&#092;ICQLite and changing ShowWelcomeScreen to "0" - ICQLite should not be running or it will re-enable this value&#33;

locustfurnace
09-15-2003, 02:48 PM
When deleting files, such as the http.dll, you should make a folder such as OLD within the ICQ folder, and move whatever files there, or just rename the file, if the file is ICQhttp.dll, rename it to OLD-ICQ.http.dll.

Deleting files can and does sometimes cause problems. This particular file, i can not rem what problems - if any, where caused by the removal of it. But I do recall removing a file within the icq structure which showed no signs of distress, only til I decided to receive a file from a user, then I was not able to receive the file, it might have been this file, but I am thinking more likley it was the "icqhttpcontrol.ocx".

But I would just suggest not deleting the file, just rename it, or move to a sub folder within the dir. Just to be safe.

The Dude
10-28-2003, 11:41 PM
I just position my session windows with the ad below my screen,then i dont see it :D

The Dude :)

locustfurnace
10-29-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by The Dude@Oct 29 2003, 12:41 AM
I just position my session windows with the ad below my screen,then i dont see it :D

The Dude :)
that doesn&#39;t stop the ads from sucking up bandwidth. an ad here and ad there, pretty soon your crawling down the internet while the ads are filling up your hard drive.
each day you re position the chat windows takes more time then removing the ad.

Crayola
04-04-2006, 04:58 PM
icq lite V 5.1 no ad patch by me

attention theres a problem with my old patch apparently icq changed the file icqlite.exe so i had to make a new patch,even though its still V5.1 they must have did something to mess it up ,well editing the same codes does the same thing so a new patch fixes everything.
heres the edit list

{header..image...link}

{%CLImage%...%CLLink%}

{SkinsLinkVisible}

{N.o.C.L.B.a.n.n.e.r.....N.o.M.s.g.B.a.n.n.e.r...D .i.s.a.b.l.e.O.w.n.e.r.N.i.c.k.N.a.m.e.....N.o.S.w .i.t.c.h.2.P.r.o.....N.o.G.u.e.s.t.M.o.d.e..}

{LiteBannersActive...}

{...LiteCLBannerActive..ActiveInternetTime..Banner sIdlTimeLimit.http://www.icq.com/client/confirm_email.php.<ft_ars><url>ars.oscar.aol.com</url><port>80</port><timeout>6000</timeout></ft_ars>}

{ICQWelcome..ICQWelcome2}

{S.H.O.W.W.E.L.C.O.M.E.S.C.R.E.E.N}

{ShowWelcomeScreen}

here
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/necro_demon666/download_right.jpg (http://www.savefile.com/projects.php?pid=560937)
make sure that you get the one on
the bottom cause its the newest one .

patch description: i disabled that one welcome screen and think i disabled the one that you cant shut off in preferences im not sure update later and the ads are gone and easier to apply the patch no intelegence needed .so
enjoy and look out for updates they will be here .......
tell me what going on with the patch and stuff i need to know any problems you might have.