PDA

View Full Version : Retail Software

Louis Campagna
04-28-2003, 06:39 PM
I am a long-time visitor to this site, my username is hockeyman16, I am just too lazy to log in right now.

Anyway, here in the Requests forum, I am getting sick of seeing people request retail software, such as Adobe Photoshop and random Microsoft titles such as Windows and Office.

Once and for all, you can try searching eBay for these titles, but please stop asking here; Oldversion.com does not post these titles because it would be illegal to do so.

Thank you for reading this,
Louis Campagna

04-29-2003, 12:23 AM
No, you stupid f**k, posting a serial number is illegal, a download of the trial version isn't.

Louis Campagna
04-29-2003, 12:53 AM
I never said a trial version. People come to this site all the time asking for the full retail copies of many programs.

I am so "stupid f**k" as you called me, I know what I am talking about. Read past posts if you don't believe me. I'm sure anyone here can and will agree with me on this.

peppycomputer
05-06-2003, 01:45 PM
Louis

You are correct! But what shocks me is that someone has to responded with no respect. If we do not like what some has said on this forum then respond with decent respect. Just because we can not see you face to face does not mean you do not deserve respect.

For what it means, sorry, for the response you got and mayby the other people posting will show some restraint in the future.

By the way you are right. B)

hockeyman16
05-07-2003, 07:26 PM
Thank you very much for your reply. I am glad that my message is getting across and that people agree with me.

As for the person that responded so disrespectfully, ever since my refuting message, I haven't heard back from him, so I think my message got the point across to him.

Thanks again,
Louis Campagna

cooldep
05-11-2003, 06:52 AM
;) Hi, I hope being a new visitor to your Forum I don't offend anyone. I think that you should not be able to post without signing in so the COWARDS that like to disrespect can have the balls to put their name next to their ignorence!!!
Nice Forum and thank-you for the idea of finding older versions of proggies.
C'Ya~Paul~ :D

LAKOTA
05-11-2003, 09:05 PM
I agree, this forum is so we can help each other. I saw a post that requested Nero and I replied that I would mail them the program. Not a copy, the origional because I have no need for it. Nothing wrong with that and not illegal to give away software but I do agree with what you said about illegal copys. Im sorry you were treated with such disrespect.

Therese
05-11-2003, 09:22 PM
Louis and Kyle,

I quite agree with both of you.

It seems like some people believe that OldVersion.com is a kind of a warez site.

I do some searching for old program files and I am not always familiar with all the different programs. I have spent many wasted hours trying to find program files from less well known companies than Adobe and Microsoft only to find out that the requested programs are not shareware or freeware.

Louis, take no note of the reply from guest “55193”. A person with such behaviour isn’t worth it!

Eva Therese L

hockeyman16
05-12-2003, 06:52 PM
Thanks to everyone who is supporting me and this post. I haven't heard from guest 55193 since then, so hopefully, we got him to leave us alone.

-Louis Campagna

PS - This post is being used as a "thanks" and as a bump ;-)

lightsup55
05-16-2003, 09:10 AM
I just have1 thing to say and I will sum it up into 3 words:

Disable guest posting!

mokopuna
05-16-2003, 10:12 AM
Totally agree with that sentiment. ((% of other forums have that policy. Glad to see you have caused a discussion. Only just seen it on the other board.

lightsup55
05-16-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by mokopuna@May 16 2003, 11:12 AM
Totally agree with that sentiment. ((% of other forums have that policy. Glad to see you have caused a discussion. Only just seen it on the other board.
My board has that same policy, no guest posting.

hockeyman16
05-16-2003, 09:03 PM
That is an excellent idea and I hope that it happens.

-Louis Campagna

hockeyman16
05-17-2003, 01:42 AM
BUMP

Even after posting this, people still continue to ask for illegal software. What gives?

This is not a Warez site!

Go to eBay (http://www.ebay.com) if you want a chance at getting the software you are looking for.

Thank you,
Louis Campagna

peppycomputer
05-17-2003, 02:41 AM
Louis,

Human nature causes them to keep asking for illegal software. Its like, not driving the speed limit. we seem to always go faster. If you had a cop on every corner you would follow the speed limit. The same with software. People have traded so much, with out permission, that they think its ok. This does not make it right , it only means it happens. The fact that controls have now been put into effect, means that people will have more cops on the corners, to keep them from speeding. ;)

Therese
05-24-2003, 01:31 PM
*BUMP*

Pinned by Therese

hockeyman16
05-25-2003, 12:58 AM
Cool, I feel special now ;-)

peppycomputer
06-04-2003, 01:49 AM
;) You should feel special. It looks like Grandma likes you and if Grandma likes you Grandpa likes you also. Kidding set aside, This is the core of what we are trying to clean up on oldversion. so keep up the good work and help us find the rats in the cuboard as they say.

To everyone out there email any moderator if you find anything out of the ordinary. We can not read every post all the time. grandma emails me and I check on what bothers her. We can then decide what needs to be done about it.

Thanks the posts are looking alot better and that is saying alot for everyone.

GOOD JOB B)

creeping-flesh
07-31-2003, 07:24 PM
i am new to this forum havent logged in at moment but the thing is if your not supposed to ask for anything you shouldn`t then don`t i am a long standing member of quite a few forums and you have to abide by the rules and if your not prepered to do that there is always somewere else!

goodnight B)

lzw
08-01-2003, 06:13 PM
The site seems to be all about old shareware and that is what people want and why they come here so it is probably best to stick with that... Although some freeware and demos don't hurt! (I requested linux versions and that was a little bit out there but I only did it once, lol)

I know about these different kinds of software:

Shareware - also comes in flavours of trialware and crippleware but it is mostly anything that can be registered for the full version!

Demo's - they are stripped out versions of major commercial apps/games and cannot be registered because they are little more than the runtime enviroment to give people a look and feel of it.

Freeware - different flavours include GNU and public domain.

Warez - at one time had something in common with demos in that much of the program was missing but enough was included to make it fully useable as pirated software! Now warez is probably just anything pirated, even iso's!

Spyware - also known as scumware, malware and adware.... Programs and games which are often distributed under the banner of freeware but put a heavy tax on your computer by tracking your internet use or bombarding you with non-stop advertisements and much more devious things!

For those of us who like oldversion.com as it is, lets not try to make it all things to all people! Anyone wanting old full retail programs certainly know where to find them! (if not, try a little harder! the term starts with "abandon...") and if it is new pirated software... How could you go more wrong than to end up here? The site is NOT called newversion.com for a good reason!

As for commercial software, I think a lot of it did have demo versions in the old days... Like you could get a microsoft word demo, including the runtime only version of windows!!! Prehaps not so much anymore... but I believe Adobe still does demos and I thing you might even get a time limited version of windows if you are on the microsoft developers network, or a beta tester!

so I say the site is perfect the way it is with old versions of popular shareware but I look forward to the collection getting even larger!!!

locustfurnace
08-01-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by lzw@Aug 1 2003, 06:13 PM
....I thing you might even get a time limited version of windows if you are on the microsoft developers network, or a beta tester!

alot of the beta verisons of windows can be had, FOR A PRICE, ofcourse.
for about half the price of the retail release you can generally obtain a beta, but why if your not a major developer. Developers get it so they can start writing programs against the lib, api's, etc, so that their product is READY for Windows $$ version. whichever it be.

12-04-2004, 02:27 PM
not everybody has a credit card where they can go to fricken ebay to get shit theyre looking for. and not everybody has $80 to get adobe photoshop & other stuff. you're not going to stop everybody from doing stuff illegal, just dont pay any attention to what people ask for that is unethical, hm?

straight talker, unplugged
12-04-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Guest@Dec 4 2004, 03:27 PM
not everybody has a credit card where they can go to fricken ebay to get shit theyre looking for. and not everybody has $80 to get adobe photoshop & other stuff. you're not going to stop everybody from doing stuff illegal, just dont pay any attention to what people ask for that is unethical, hm?
nobody says they will stop people doing illegal stuff, what they say is it will not happen here at oldversion, and just incase you hadnt noticed this is an age old thread why answer it it is long dead and forgotten about.

locustfurnace
12-04-2004, 07:12 PM
just dont pay any attention to what people ask for that is unethical, hm?
We don't pay attention to what people do, people can do whatever they want, no skin off our backs. Just as Straight_talker said, it isn't going to happen here.
This board is not owned by the public, it is owned by a few people who have a say it how and what is posted. Not all boards cater to everyone, if those people looking for certain apps not offered here, they can go someplace else. This is not the end of the line for finding software.

If this board was yours, then you could post whatever you liked, and be facing those lawsuits as well.

VincentTheValentine
05-31-2005, 10:39 PM
True...this thread is old...
but damn this dude is right.

flarnlgso
06-02-2005, 11:14 AM
I visit here quite a bit, never the forums though.

Awesome work, great site.

Just wanted to add that those wanting OS's, Office, utilities, etc software for little to _no_ money should go to school. Most schools (universities, not CCs) have software for download or pickup that is cheap.

For instance, at UT Dallas I can buy any of windows pro, office, norton, visual studio, etc for UNDER 20 bucks a piece or I can login to the MSDN academic alliance website and download them all for free. As an aside if your school does have the MSDNAA you can download and get as many copies of the latest version of windows as you want, however I am not going to say how. Figure it out.

great site

flarn

You people amaze me
06-12-2005, 01:46 PM
Can anyone post the new version of Adobe Photoshop CS? I don't have 600 dollars and I need it free

the gaffer
06-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by You people amaze me@Jun 12 2005, 01:46 PM
Can anyone post the new version of Adobe Photoshop CS? I don't have 600 dollars and I need it free
you will not get any help at this forum for illegal stuff, if you dont want or are unable to pay for the app you want then use a freeware alternative,any links for illegal stuff are deleted straight away and threads locked so please dont waste our time and yours asking.