PDA

View Full Version : Winlite 98

peppycomputer
04-30-2003, 11:44 AM
My question is Has any one used 98 Lite and what problems did they encounter? Did they like it ? I have used it and had mixed feelings on it . I am very intriged with lite98 and would like to use it to full capacity.. :blink:

rports
05-06-2003, 09:38 PM
For a short time I ran 98Lite under Windows 98. It does speed things up by using such tricks as replacing the taskbar with the old Windows 95 taskbar. Eventually, I began to miss conveniences like the QuickLaunch area. I also began to worry that some program might need a Windows 98 feature that has been disabled by 98Lite, so I eventually removed and went back to stock Windows 98 system.

peppycomputer
05-17-2003, 04:46 PM
:D I found the same problems. It is very fast but unless you have only the need for speed and keep your programs simple, You will find capatability problems with many programs. I ended up having to reformat and reload 98 to get back my functions. I have now learned to Install 98 customized from scratch. Then add the functions that are necessary. It also takes up a tremendous amount of hard drive and some of us do not have extra to spare.
This might be a great program for an office situation that does not allow alot of bells and gadgets.
It is really fast :)

whocudathowtit
06-06-2003, 12:21 PM
I've used 98lite with 98, 98SE & ME with no problems, It streamlines the OS, and runs faster generally.

I must point out that the Win 95 desktop is only an option, you don't have to use it.

Quote:-- It also takes up a tremendous amount of hard drive and some of us do not have extra to spare.

I don't see how you can make this comment as the whole concept of 98 lite is to cut out a lot of the MS bloat, and it does that very well,so in fact takes up less of your HDD. :D

peppycomputer
06-06-2003, 09:14 PM
unless 98 lite is done from reload of operating system, from scratch, it recopies all of the files it needs into a 98 lite folder. This creates many duplicate files that it uses to restucture your operating system. If you are not happy with the restucture then all you have to do is uninstall 98 lite. This then takes up some where in the range of 150-200 more mb. On my computer that is alot of my hard drive. 98 lite does nothing to get rid of the old software setup unless you personaly delete it. 98 lite can be easily reloaded and unloaded like any program. Which is what 98 lite is, a program.
It is not a operating system. the bloat as you say is still there. It is just tucked away and not used unless you want to. The way to utilize 98 lite to its fullest is to use to it to do a fresh install and then you can utilize the savings on hard drive space. Most people will use it with the operating system they have and that creates the bloat. This goes along with you can use 98 lite to uninstall IE but the browser is still there. any time you want to reinstall you can. which slows down your computer. I am using 98 lite right now, and I have tried every combination possible with it. The system I am using is with the 95 shell and beonex browser. A 166 pentium IBM it boots in less than a second, the winlite company says that you can get it faster than that. I am processing this from a windows system of around 75-80 mgbyts. that is the largest windows system i use. I have a 486 that has no hard drive and I can run windows from just installed memory that is availble. For an office situation that this is designed for it makes old computers very fast.

whocudathowtit
06-08-2003, 10:40 AM
Hi Peppy,
Apologies, I'd forgotten about applying it to an existing OS, something I've never done, I always go for the clean install whatever OS is involved. Like you I've rung all the changes with all versions of 98lite since since version 3, now I only have it on one machine running dual-boot with win XP, and only keep that because I have 2 or 3 essential to me programs that wont run on XP.
I'm looking forward to XP/2K lite should it ever materialise, been waiting a while LOL. :D

LoLo
07-01-2003, 11:58 AM
Ive used 98Lite Pro, the full version of 98Lite. It has quite a few differnt features than the free version to try out, but it basicly does the same thing - it allows you to install windows the way YOU want it not microsofts way. In doing this you definatly can save a huge amount of drive space, I have used it on a very old Pentium 50 with a 240mb drive (yes 240mb LOL) to save disk space and maybe get it to run faster I used 98Lite to install 98se. I got a full install of 98 on it taking only 72mb of space up! If I did the 95 Shell swap it supposedly gets down to 45mb but it forces you to loose much of the nice things in 98.
Overall I saw very little improvement in speed, not enough to even mention. I did bench tests on this pc with a full clean install of 98se and then the 98Lite installation since I was curious to see if it did speed it up at all.
I too am waiting for XP Lite and today I got a big suprise after almost giving up on it. I noticed in my bookmarks a shortcut to the site and out of curiosity clicked it and OMG its gone Beta!! The site is once again looking like something might come about soon after many months of seeing no progress!!!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed, what they show on Lite XP looks good as XP is the king of Drive Hogs and I'd certainly like to get rid of all the crap I don't use or need.

whocudathowtit
07-01-2003, 04:19 PM
Hi Lolo !,
I to found lite XP beta, a couple of days ago. I find I can uninstall all the items available and then reinstall all with no problems. ( Needless to say I have the drive imaged, So can soon be back to normal in a short time) I've got to say it looks promising, so let's hope they soon issue the full monte LOL. I also took the opportunity to grab a copy of 98 lite Pro 4.7 :D

Monserrat
07-09-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by whocudathowtit@Jul 1 2003, 04:19 PM
I to found lite XP beta, a couple of days ago.
I am interested to know how many megabytes you managed to shed from an XP installation using the XPlite beta. A standard XP home installation takes up 1.2 GB. If you take into account the paging file and one restore point, it goes up to 1.5 GB.

I use XP Pro at work, but at home, I'm still prefer W95/98.

whocudathowtit
07-13-2003, 01:41 PM
Hi Montserrat !,
Space saving with the beta version wasn't great, around 70 M/Bytes, I'd expect the final version to be better than that. I did try to apply it to win2K, but ran into problems with that, it wouldn't let me switch off file protection, so the install didn't work.

LoLo
09-11-2003, 05:30 AM
Hmmm I found a cool little tool that does just that (turns off wfp) at a gaming site. Some of the mods for Grand Theft Auto Vice City dont install correctly if wfp is on. its about 460kb and works like a charm. Leave a message if you want to try it with win2k to do the litexp thing :)

Ah heres a link to it on my server :) Win Clear Read Only Attributes (disables wfp) (http://kitty-killers.no-ip.com/kh_private/Clear%20Read%20Only.zip)

locustfurnace
09-11-2003, 12:30 PM
you can always do this yourself, open a DOS promtp, or Command Prompt. go to whatever directory you want to remove the READ-ONLY attribute, and type attrib -R /S

the - R clears READ-ONLY, also,

-A clears Archive bit
-H clears Hidden attribute
-S clears System attribute

to turn ON the bits, use a + switch

the /S tells the command to process all files in the specifed path.