PDA

View Full Version : Please Register

OldVersion.com Admin
10-30-2002, 05:12 PM
We may soon shut down guest posting, and we recommend that everyone registers on the forum for extra features such as private messages, personalized messages, signatures and etc. We do not collect your information, or use your information in any way. We never email our registered users unless something important regarding the forum comes up.

Please register, it only takes a few minutes and provides more benefits and features.

lightsup55
12-10-2002, 05:19 PM
Also, you may hide your email address*, here's how:
1.) Login (or register if you haven't already)
2.) Click My Controls (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=UserCP) at the top of the page
3.) Click Email Settings on the right
4.) Place a check box in "Hide my email address from other members"
5.) Click "Amend my email settings" to submit

If you don't want to appear on the active users list, you can easily do this at the login page. Simply place a check mark in "Don't add me to the active users list".

* NOTE: If you DON'T hide your email address, people can still email you, however, we will display "Private" instead of the full email address. If someone else clicks on it, they will fill out the form, but they still will not see your email address.

SSS
12-28-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by lightsup55@Dec 10 2002, 05:19 PM
Also, you may hide your email address*, here's how:
1.) Login (or register if you haven't already)
2.) Click Your Control Panel at the top of the page
3.) Click Email Settings on the right
4.) Place a check box in "Hide my email address from other members"
5.) Click "Amend my email settings" to submit

If you don't want to appear on the active users list, you can easily do this at the login page. Simply place a check mark in "Don't add me to the active users list".

* NOTE: If you DON'T hide your email address, people can still email you, however, we will display "Private" instead of the full email address. If someone else clicks on it, they will fill out the form, but they still will not see your email address.
Due to the update of Invision Board, the instructions above have changed. Heres how to hide your email address now:
1.Login or Register if you haven't already
*2.Click the My Controls link at the top.
3. Click the Email Settings link in the left pane in the control panel.
4. Select the Hide my email address from other members checkbox.
5. Click the Amend my email settings button.

* indicates that the part of the instructions changed.

peppycomputer
05-06-2003, 03:06 PM
I am replying to this forum to bring it back to the top. The forums at the beginning are what you see first. I have noticed that we have multiples of visitors everyday and very few sign ups. I challenge the next 20 visitors to go ahead and sign up after you read this!!!! You will find it worth it. I am very new to oldversions but I am sure that even a newby opinion counts. What better way to express your self than a forum of peers that work to make their computer the best they can. so sign up give your opinion (respectfully) and you would be surprised how much you will learn and can teach!!! :wacko:

05-07-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by peppycomputer@May 6 2003, 03:06 PM
I am replying to this forum to bring it back to the top. The forums at the beginning are what you see first.
thats called a "bump". so next time you want to bring a post back up, simply type "bump".

peppycomputer
05-14-2003, 12:32 AM
;) :blink: Bumpty Bump

lightsup55
05-16-2003, 08:58 AM
*BUMP*

Please disable guest posting. It's kinda getting a little annoying.

It would also help to be able to moderate this message board better.

P.S. You also need to get some more moderators and delete a whole mess of posts talking about getting Windows 3.x and Office and such. It's really illegal.

peppycomputer
05-16-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by lightsup55@May 16 2003, 08:58 AM

Please disable guest posting. It's kinda getting a little annoying.

I agree, even though we can all be annoying at times we are less likely to be that way if everyone could know who you are. It would cut back on the harsh slang that Is, not necessary to comunicate with each other. As easy as it is to sign up, everyone should be made to. To be able to communicate with others. That way if a member gets out of hand, he or she could be removed and not allowed to participate. This might sound harsh but some of the things that I have read in the forums can be very rude and not necessary. 75% of the people here are serious about this site, and want ,whats best for this site!

If you have a true opinion, you will join!!

I have said before that all opinions count, but the system is kinda like....
being able to call a stranger on the phone and tell them they are ugly and not give your name, and hang up. Not fair..

Just food for thought, I still think its the best site on the internet! :rolleyes:

OldVersion.com Admin
05-16-2003, 10:32 PM
Guest posting has been disabled.

peppycomputer
05-16-2003, 10:59 PM
Does this mean I do not have to type (BUMP) any more? :rolleyes:

Therese
05-16-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by ABlix@May 17 2003, 04:32 AM
ABlix,
Thanks!

Goslow
09-16-2003, 06:46 AM
An opportunity to bump this topic , I realise it's important just not quite sure why,and ask a question.
I can understand the security issues of requiring people to register and also perhaps the benefit of bringing some clarity to the forum but what I would like to know if it is not somehow sensitive info is what benefit oldversion.com has by having x number of signed up members does this derive an income or bestow additional resources to the site if so I could see it (not withstanding all the other mentioned reasons) as being worthy of promotion,

(ABlix @ May 17 2003, 04:32 AM)
Is this correct if not it worked for me & suckered me into joining lol
(I would of anyway)(ok eventually) :P

locustfurnace
09-16-2003, 08:25 PM
I think guesty posting is re-enabled, since the time the forum was updated. Since i have seen alot of new guesty posts.
Benefit for guestys to register is, if someone finds a file, and wants to email that user the file. there is no email to send file to.
or email that person to ask for they would like it emailed.

also, some peope do not like to even reply to guesty postings. maybe not so much on OV, but elsewhere it is very common where regulars will ignore any guest postings.
so if a guesty finds their post not being answered, registering might be good.

registering is not all that invasive, not like you have to submit a photo ID and be fingerprinted to join a forum.
i can see if you guesty post once on this forum in your life.
but not to be a regular and always post as a guesty
PLUS, being a guesty. you do not get cool new names, such as your Release Candidate title!

: )

guest_the gaffer
11-30-2003, 07:54 PM
:o just a point to consider, i believe perhaps a lot of people post on this site, and like me are registered but as i have been doing i tend to forget to log in,, never mind i see from this post the difference and will log in from now on when i visit, anyone who reads this PLEASE PLEASE register it really does only take a minit or two,

locustfurnace
11-30-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by guest_the gaffer@Nov 30 2003, 09:54 PM
i tend to forget to log in
when you sign in, you should enable the box that says always remember me, or always sign me in, or something like that, then each time you open the page, you will automatically be signed in. then you dont have to worry about posting aa a guest, you will always be under your username.

SSS
11-30-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by locustfurnace+Nov 30 2003, 09:15 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (locustfurnace @ Nov 30 2003, 09:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--guest_the gaffer@Nov 30 2003, 09:54 PM
i tend to forget to log in
when you sign in, you should enable the box that says always remember me, or always sign me in, or something like that, then each time you open the page, you will automatically be signed in. then you dont have to worry about posting aa a guest, you will always be under your username. [/b][/quote]
Yes, that&#39;s what I do. I don&#39;t have to worry about logging back in unless my cookies get deleted.

the gaffer
12-01-2003, 08:23 PM
done that, will be logged in from now on , no more guesty posting from me, thanks chaps :)

aem4162
12-03-2003, 03:35 PM
just found you and registered at the same time...thanks for having a cool site

guest_bumper
01-27-2004, 12:58 PM
dont forget this thread ,come on you folks register now

G.S. 4SPEEDBUMPS
08-12-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by guest_bumper @ Jan 27 2004, 01:58 PM
dont forget this thread ,come on you folks register now thanks Legion (just cover)
B.B.GIF[i]I.Y.D.L.T.K.O.T.W.T.T.S.I.O.O.B.[/b]

08-12-2004, 01:39 AM
Good idea&#33;

Guests can post some sketchy stuff

chester_ting
08-12-2004, 01:44 AM
^^

haha thats funny because i forgot to log in&#33;

Jaime Andrés
08-13-2004, 11:57 AM
I mentioned once in another thread that I thought it would be a good idea if this board should be for registered members only. However there were some convincing arguments put forward to allow guest posters.
The only thing I still find a little annoying is which guest is posting. We have one or two &#39;&#39;guests&#39;&#39; who always post articulate and informative topics or replies, but then there seem to be some absolute cretins.
Most confusing.

08-13-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Jaime Andrés@Aug 13 2004, 11:57 AM
I mentioned once in another thread that I thought it would be a good idea if this board should be for registered members only. However there were some convincing arguments put forward to allow guest posters.
The only thing I still find a little annoying is which guest is posting. We have one or two &#39;&#39;guests&#39;&#39; who always post articulate and informative topics or replies, but then there seem to be some absolute cretins.
Most confusing.
i agree to some extent that guests in certain circumstances can post crap and be complete cretins i see loads of it both here and in other forums, my posts here by the way are the good ones you mention so you will know who i am now ? but there are two sides to every coin and whilst you guys are pretty top blokes in my book , members can in some cases be cretins as well, i think the valid point of this whole thing is , looking through the forums most problems and requests are posted by guests and if that was stopped then there would not be much going on in the forums , i believe many would not bother registering and use the site as ive noticed it refered to before as a drive through ,if need be i would register but ive never looked on it as important as i dont need people to be able to contact me, and the help i give is checked regularly so if a question was put in to a post i had made i would see it and reply as necessary.

Goslow
08-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Guest+Aug 13 2004, 05:36 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Aug 13 2004, 05:36 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>members can in some cases be cretins as well- [/b]I would think that is easier to deal with either publicly or privately.
<!--QuoteBegin--Guest@Aug 13 2004, 05:36 PM
i think the valid point of this whole thing is , looking through the forums most problems and requests are posted by guests and if that was stopped then there would not be much going on in the forums[/quote]I might have thought so aswell & in a world where hits rule its prolly valid ,however if the 40% ?? loss of posts was mostly crud its no loss to me. If something is valuable to peeps they will register and use it and perhaps respect it more, I&#39;m not so sure there are so many sites that peeps can go to and get such good service for free if there are let me know so I can bookmark them.Why do many peeps rave that they wish they had found O.V.com sooner etc, is it for the guest posting you think.There is perhaps a danger that peeps might "driveby" but then they might just do a big circle and maybe even find a home site and latest version to add to their request&#33; (after reading pinned topics and spending a whole email address registering)
I&#39;m just pro choice so would rather it (guest post) than not, but then I dont have the not thanked enough (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=1301) task of having to clean up (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?s=&act=Stats&CODE=leaders) I just get to complain.
Being O.V.com I would of thought politeness might be a reason for regulars to login but thats prolly "gay" ha :rolleyes:

damn&#33; I hope it wasnt me that posted as guest above. Guest,Aug 13 2004, 05:36 PM

Jaime Andrés
08-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Goslow@Aug 14 2004, 04:20 AM

Being O.V.com I would of thought politeness might be a reason for regulars to login but thats prolly "gay" ha :rolleyes:

[Noel Coward mode] Goslow dear boy, just because some of the prose articulated in these forums whilst sipping a gin (Bombay Sapphire of course) and tonic alludes to politeness does not necessarily indicate that the author is in any way affected in any way to the more effeminate side. Politeness is very often confused with good manners [/ Noel Coward mode]

chester_ting
08-16-2004, 01:18 AM
Is this going to happen?

new user
12-02-2004, 03:35 AM
bump

sum1
12-02-2004, 04:22 AM
:blink: call me stupid, call me paranoid, call me whatever you want to...
but,
if you&#39;re not collecting any info, what&#39;s the point in registering?
it&#39;s also a pretty crappy idea to save login info on your computer, unless of course you use 100&#39;s of different passwords -- and don&#39;t care if someone else gets those 100&#39;s of different passwords you use. B)

locustfurnace
12-02-2004, 11:19 AM
One point in registering is that you can track your postings. A lot of &#39;guest&#39; posters, post incorrectly, then the thread gets moved, or merged into an existing thread. When said user comes back to find if anyone has replied, they can no longer find their post, so instead of searching for it, they post another thread, and again and again.

If registered, one could click on ones user name and find where their posts are.

The Dude
07-04-2005, 09:50 AM
Alex has a good head on his shoulders Locust&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

ITs better having guest posting disabled....Maybe someday alex would consider having 1 guest message base where guests can post.......(1 site im on does that,ONLY 1 BASE CAN GUESTS POST ON..But they are encouraged to register (http://forum.maxthon.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22586))

God bless

straight talker
10-29-2005, 01:59 PM
have read this thread several times and personally think that disabling guest posting has severely slowed the forum down and made it very tame,i my self have been real busy the last few months and not been here much but when i have i take no time at all catching up with threads,a while back when guests could post not visiting a couple of days would mean you had a couple pages to catch up on.what do other members think ?