PDA

View Full Version : Md5 database

WindWalkerX
06-12-2010, 02:01 PM
Is there a decent one availible to the public? I know that Old Version uses one, as I've read the admin say so. But everything I've found on Google is utter garbage. They don't have Firefox 2.20's hash. So clearly they aren't worth much...
It would be great if I could actually verify legit installers.

Constance
06-13-2010, 04:18 AM
Hi there .o/
You can give a try to this one : FileAdvisor | The Best Search Engine for Identifying Software Files - Bit9 (http://fileadvisor.bit9.com/services/search.aspx)
Keep in mind however that md5 only isn't enough to ensure a file is legit, since some people have found the way to create corrupted files with the right size and md5.

edit : oh well, looks like that one is no longer public :( ... or at least requires registration.

WindWalkerX
06-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Thank you :)
It does require registration, but it's no problem as long as you don't use yahoo or hotmail to sign up. It had FireFox2.0.0.20 and Opera 9.10, and Comodo 2.0.0.1 :)

Keep in mind however that md5 only isn't enough to ensure a file is legit, since some people have found the way to create corrupted files with the right size and md5.That is true for custom hacking. You can modify some code and add junk until it becomes the same, but it's something you have to do by hand.

Md5 isn't torrent safe, but it should be fine for demo sites. I'm mostly concerned about installer packages I find on websites like Brothersoft. Some of their stuff is questionable to say the least. The problems I've had with sites like that is bonus exes added to the original installer. I guess I have no way of knowing that the original program hasn't been tampered with as well, but I don't really think that's the case. Most of the time the installer just has additional programs added.