PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft

Alejandro Sanchez
10-07-2002, 06:16 PM
Hi, one question...

Can you support or post old versions of microsoft software like excel, access, office etc.....????

OldVersion.com Admin
10-07-2002, 07:10 PM
Nope, that would be illegal. We can only post old versions of freeware and shareware programs.

Sorry :(

Alex
Co-Webmaster
http://www.oldversion.com/

Saint_K
10-11-2002, 03:44 PM
what you can do is let other people host that files, because its not iligal to host links!

OldVersion.com Admin
10-11-2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Saint_K@Oct 11 2002, 03:44 PM
what you can do is let other people host that files, because its not iligal to host links!
That would put the site in jeapordy, and I am certainly not going to suborn pirarcy.

darkwind
10-11-2002, 09:30 PM
as soon as I boot my other computer back up I will tell you the program, but I know a program that is just like word, excel, ect. that they give away for free online, I will post it on monday, hopefully with the site too.

OldVersion.com Admin
10-11-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by darkwind@Oct 11 2002, 09:30 PM
as soon as I boot my other computer back up I will tell you the program, but I know a program that is just like word, excel, ect. that they give away for free online, I will post it on monday, hopefully with the site too.
staroffice?

www.sun.com/star (http://www.sun.com/star)

I think made by SUN, I use that with Linux :) :D

They have a windows version too I think, DOC compliant.

Last edited by ABlix at Oct 11 2002, 09:33 PM

embj
10-11-2002, 09:49 PM
Try Open Office. It is totally free and is made by Sun Microsystems. The same people who make Star Office. It is at www.openoffice.org. It has a word processor, spreadsheet,presentation,html editor, calculator, and more. It does not even install spyware. :D B) This works with Windows or as I like to call it Windoze.

Last edited by embj at Oct 11 2002, 09:49 PM

solidare
10-11-2002, 11:41 PM
sun office does not open any previous windows documents you made already have on your computer.So if you lose office like I did,get your computer running again,try to open a file or document it ain't gonna happen with sun.

Spectracide
10-12-2002, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by ABlix@Oct 7 2002, 07:10 PM
Nope, that would be illegal. We can only post old versions of freeware and shareware programs.

Sorry :(

Alex
Co-Webmaster
http://www.oldversion.com/
:lol: Come on!!!!

Eh? Eh?

Come on!

t94xr
10-18-2002, 06:06 AM
No Infact you are allowed to post Microsoft software...

Anything that no body would have normally in todays systems...

MS Office 4.5
Windows 3.1x
MS-DOS

There was a court case a couple of years ago, this guy was selling cheap 486s with Windows 3.1, and Microsoft Corp of his country went berzerk... Someone high up in Microsoft basically said, its now abandonware and is legal to distribute on PCs freely...
As these are 'obsolete' software why bother with licences. Once something is classified as Abandonware its under i think its GPL.
If distributing Microsoft software is illegal, hell who uses MS-DOS anymore???

OldVersion.com Admin
10-18-2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by t94xr@Oct 18 2002, 06:06 AM
No Infact you are allowed to post Microsoft software...

Anything that no body would have normally in todays systems...

MS Office 4.5
Windows 3.1x
MS-DOS

There was a court case a couple of years ago, this guy was selling cheap 486s with Windows 3.1, and Microsoft Corp of his country went berzerk... Someone high up in Microsoft basically said, its now abandonware and is legal to distribute on PCs freely...
As these are 'obsolete' software why bother with licences. Once something is classified as Abandonware its under i think its GPL.
Even if it is abandonware the copyrights do not expire.

graue
10-19-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by t94xr@Oct 18 2002, 06:06 AM
Once something is classified as Abandonware its under i think its GPL.
You do not appear to understand abandonware. Abandonware is basically 'old warez,' and it is not legal to distribute commercial software even if it's not sold anymore. The only reason abandonware is so common is because the copyright-owning companies don't really have any reason to try to sue people who distribute such things, because they aren't making money from them anyway. But unless the company who owns the copyright specifically makes it public domain or freeware (which has happened in a few cases of very old products), it is technically illegal.

By GPL, do you mean the GNU General Public Licence? That has absolutely nothing to do with abandonware. It is a software licence for open-source programs.

No one ever said distributing Microsoft software is illegal. Microsoft has made quite a few small free programs, such as their Video Editor, an old Windows 3.x program I still use to make animations today, and I think it's completely legal to distribute such things as that.

As for MS-DOS, no one uses it by itself anymore, yet I use the DOS prompt from Windows for tasks like copying files. It is very powerful. You can make a list of all mp3 files on your C: drive with the following DOS command:

dir/s/a/b/o:n c:\*.mp3 > mp3list.txt

Let us see you do that in Windows Explorer. Heh heh heh.

Christian
10-23-2002, 02:51 AM
Don't you think you could make old microsoft (and others) versions available if people who don't use it anymore are offering you for free an existing version with a licence number associated to it.

In that case oldversion.com could become an exhange platform for not only for freeware but also commercialized versions.

OldVersion.com Admin
10-23-2002, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Christian@Oct 23 2002, 02:51 AM
Don't you think you could make old microsoft (and others) versions available if people who don't use it anymore are offering you for free an existing version with a licence number associated to it.

In that case oldversion.com could become an exhange platform for not only for freeware but also commercialized versions.
A license number is only allowed one installation, not multiple. If someone donates commercial software with a license key we are only able to distribute the number of old versions with as many unique license keys that we have.

11-05-2002, 10:42 PM
graue said:

In windows 98[SE]/ME:

Start > Find > Files or Folders.
Named: *.mp3
Look in: C: (hit "enter")
File > Save Search.

It doesn't save it to a text document, but you can click the FND file that it does save to and get the filelisting. PLUS, it will automatically update itself when you add or remove mp3 files (or any filetype you may be searching, for that matter). Let's see DOS do that (heh heh heh).

lightsup55
11-06-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Guest@Nov 5 2002, 11:42 PM
graue said:

In windows 98[SE]/ME:

Start > Find > Files or Folders.
Named: *.mp3
Look in: C: (hit "enter")
File > Save Search.

It doesn't save it to a text document, but you can click the FND file that it does save to and get the filelisting. PLUS, it will automatically update itself when you add or remove mp3 files (or any filetype you may be searching, for that matter). Let's see DOS do that (heh heh heh).
That's funny! :lol:

lightsup55
11-06-2002, 09:07 AM
For Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/) downloads go to the Microsoft Download Center (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.asp).

If anyone is reading this, there are 3 files which I know can be distributed freely (I checked the license) that are on the Microsoft Office 97 CD (doesn't matter if it is Standard, Professional, or Developer). Those are the Microsoft Word 97 Viewer, Microsoft Excel 97 Viewer, and the Microsoft PowerPoint 97 Viewer. I have them and would hate to have to upload them if ABlix had an Office 97 CD. If you find anything on your Microsoft Office 97 CD, check the license first and upload it please.

Last edited by lightsup55 at Nov 19 2002, 12:23 AM

t94xr
11-18-2002, 06:51 AM
we should start up our own old versions site dedicated at abandonware. we'll make the admin here look like a scaredy cat!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OldVersion.com Admin
11-18-2002, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by t94xr@Nov 18 2002, 07:51 AM
we should start up our own old versions site dedicated at abandonware. we'll make the admin here look like a scaredy cat!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:rolleyes:

Have fun getting sued when/if the site becomes popular.

Last edited by ABlix at Nov 18 2002, 03:23 PM

11-18-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by graue@Oct 19 2002, 09:02 PM
As for MS-DOS, no one uses it by itself anymore, yet I use the DOS prompt from Windows for tasks like copying files. It is very powerful. You can make a list of all mp3 files on your C: drive with the following DOS command:

I wouldn't so boldly say NO-ONE uses it, but MSDOS is too limmited to do anything with, so maybe noone in their right mind uses it.

DOS commands can be entered into the registry to show up in the right-click context menu, so yes, that can be done from Explorer.

Ric Gates
11-18-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by lightsup55@Nov 6 2002, 10:07 AM
For Microsoft downloads (even MS-DOS 6.22 is can be downloaded, first make sure that you are searching by product, second select MS-DOS as the operating system, then select MS-DOS v6.22 as the product, last select Show Results for All Downloads, click the link "MS-DOS 6.2 Step-up Files", now download the file), go to the Microsoft Download Center.

I so want to rag on you... it's hard to fight the temptation... I'll just say - You don't even know what DOS is! You probably think that having a boot disk means you have a copy of MSDOS.

Step-up is not the same as Set-Up...

Notes for MS-DOS 6.22 Step-Up Users
===================================
The MS-DOS 6.22 Step-Up updates your system from MS-DOS 6, 6.2
or 6.21 to MS-DOS 6.22.

IMPORTANT: To use the MS-DOS 6.22 Step-Up, you must be running the
released version of MS-DOS 6, MS-DOS 6.2 or MS-DOS 6.21.
If you are running an older version of MS-DOS, a beta
version of MS-DOS, or any version of MS-DOS that was
modified by a hardware vendor, you cannot use the MS-DOS 6.22
Step-Up. To install MS-DOS 6.22 on such a system, obtain the
full MS-DOS 6.22 Upgrade product.

==================================

Also these files and others are available on Microsoft's ftp site, so you don't have to jump through the hoops at search.microshaft.com

The old MSDOS files that come on the Win95 CD are available at ftp.microsoft.com in the /Softlib/MSLFILES directory, and the file is called Olddos.exe

You cannot download a boot disk from Microsoft, and you certainly can't download ALL the MSDOS files of any version from Microsoft.

--
| Ric

lightsup55
11-18-2002, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Ric Gates@Nov 18 2002, 09:57 PM
I so want to rag on you... it's hard to fight the temptation... I'll just say - You don't even know what DOS is! You probably think that having a boot disk means you have a copy of MSDOS.

Step-up is not the same as Set-Up...
Sorry, I looked at it wrong. I must have not been think at the time.

It's like the error in this sentence:

Please pass the
the bread.

You might have read it as "Please pass the bread."
The word "the" repeats twice. It sort of tricks the mind in thinking that there is only one word "the" and so that's how people read it.

It's my mistake and I apologize. But I do know how to use DOS,

Jan Reznicek
11-20-2002, 07:45 AM
High, friends. Very nice thread, isn`t it? I`m very interested in this matter because I want to collect not only "obsolete" programs but " obscure" ones. You know what I mean (MS and o.) The copyright is a problem, I know. Is there a solution? A collectors webpage?

Ric Gates
11-20-2002, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by lightsup55@Nov 19 2002, 12:22 AM

It's my mistake and I apologize. But I do know how to use DOS,
Sorry, I see too many microsoft links and I start seeing red....
But DOS 6.22 is a little bigger than 2 megs, and it's not FAT 32 compatible anyway.

I found the Word 97 viewers at ftp.microsoft.com in the /Softlib/MSLFILES directory...
Wd97vw32.exe Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000
Wdvw9716.exe Microsoft Word Viewer 97-2000 for Windows 16-bit Operating Systems

--
| Ric

Penelope Whippenbottom
11-23-2002, 11:57 AM
Back to the original topic...

You can always try 602pro office suite (or what ever they call it now).
www.software602.com/products/pcs/
Office compatible, though occasionally there are some formating errors. Usually minor things like the print range being changed, or cell sizes will need to be stretched back to the size you want.

Compared to Open Office, 602 has a somewhat simpler interface which is nice if you don't want/need all the options. It has - word proccessor, spreadsheet, and photo manipulation programs included, and is only about a 10mb download(compared to a 50mb for OO)

Basically for a lot of home users it will do the job, and not take forever to download...

Actually it would be a good addition to this site, as they used to keep an older version or two on the site...

epp_b
11-23-2002, 09:56 PM
Are you sure that 602 is MS Office compatible? I've downloaded and installed it before, and it opens Corel compatible files, but not MS Office. I use OO (openoffice), and I find that it is *VERY* extensive for a free office suite. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to pay Microsloth big bucks for their office suite.

Oh, and OO also has a few bugs comparible to 602 -- including formatting bugs when using MS Office files.

Last edited by epp_b at Nov 24 2002, 03:45 PM

hp46168
04-05-2003, 06:22 PM
The find files thing is an interesting one, and one I have researched. The downfall of this is that YOU CAN'T PRINT IT OUT! YOU CAN"T EVEN import it into MS Excel and dress it up and make it look pretty to print out...

tonydt0
05-19-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by ABlix+Oct 11 2002, 09:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ABlix @ Oct 11 2002, 09:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--darkwind@Oct 11 2002, 09:30 PM
staroffice?

www.sun.com/star (http://www.sun.com/star)

I think made by SUN, I use that with Linux :) :D

They have a windows version too I think, DOC compliant. [/b][/quote]
everything on THIS website is ILLIGAL

tonydt0
05-19-2003, 10:07 PM
everything on THIS website is ILLIGAL

tonydt0
05-19-2003, 10:10 PM
you can put a copy of any windows program even 95 ,95 ,xp
but they must register it online
but they can copy and then register online

peppycomputer