PDA

View Full Version : Fool Napster?

Madx519
06-08-2003, 10:04 PM
Hey,

I was finally able to totally rid my computer of Napster 6,7,9.6,10, etc. I had un-installed them incorrectly a few years ago, and they've been stuck in my "Add/Remove" since. After downloading re-installing, then un-installing they're finally gone. :)

I installed Version 2.0 Beta 3, and it worked fine (except it did not connect, obviously). However, when I try to upgrade to any other version the software requires me to connect to server.napster.com in order to use the program (which, will never ever happen).

So, does anybody know a way to fool or trick the napster software into connecting to server.napster.com so I can use it to play my MP3's? Or, is there a way of getting around/skipping the "register with server.napster.com" part?

Thanks, Steve

The_Muffin_Man
06-09-2003, 12:53 PM
I think that ever since their lawsuits, their servers have been taken away. Napster is a useless program now, so everyone uses Kazaa and other P2P programs instead.

Word of advice: Use Kazaa Lite and an antivirus program.

peppycomputer
06-10-2003, 09:42 PM
;) thanks muffinman that was a good answer. Keep up the good work. B)

locustfurnace
06-14-2003, 02:30 AM
yes, all of napsters server, office equpiment etc, was liquidated.
and shares bought off by Roxio

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/225.htm (DEC 2002)

bmh67wa
06-15-2003, 02:17 AM
The Napster client is not totally useless. You can go to Napigator's (http://www.napigator.com) website and download Napigator. It allows you to use Napster to get on OpenNap and Slavanap servers by producing a list and letting you click on the server you choose to go on. There are many other "secrets" about running certain versions of Napster this way. Browse the web looking for P2P applications and I'm sure you will find them. ;)

232stangs.com
06-22-2003, 07:12 PM
I just read in the paper that napster is back at work. But you have to pay to use their service now.

locustfurnace
07-28-2003, 03:26 PM
Napster 2.0 by Christmas
Napster is alive once again, according to the register:

"Napster 2.0 by Christmas
By Jan Libbenga
Posted: 28/07/2003 at 08:32 GMT

California-based Roxio will later today announce key elements of its launch strategy for the new Napster music service in a keynote address at Jupiter's Plug-In conference in New York.

To drum up excitement, Roxio has already leaked some details about the service, which will be available to consumers by Christmas. Users have access to more than 500,000 tracks any way they choose; by paying for individual downloads, by monthly subscription, via Internet radio, or in any combination.

"Napster 2.0 is being built from the ground up to reflect the essence of independence and innovation that the brand is known for," says Roxio CEO Chris Gorog. "Consumers want flexibility, and for the first time they will not have to choose between downloads or subscriptions."

read rest of story here:
http://www.theregister.com/content/6/31990.html

Salopette
01-18-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Madx519@Jun 8 2003, 10:04 PM
Hey,

I was finally able to totally rid my computer of Napster 6,7,9.6,10, etc. I had un-installed them incorrectly a few years ago, and they've been stuck in my "Add/Remove" since. After downloading re-installing, then un-installing they're finally gone. :)

I installed Version 2.0 Beta 3, and it worked fine (except it did not connect, obviously). However, when I try to upgrade to any other version the software requires me to connect to server.napster.com in order to use the program (which, will never ever happen).

So, does anybody know a way to fool or trick the napster software into connecting to server.napster.com so I can use it to play my MP3's? Or, is there a way of getting around/skipping the "register with server.napster.com" part?

Thanks, Steve
If you want an advice don't use Napster, you have to pay.
So just choose one of the File Sharing program that are in OldVersion read their description and pick the best one.

locustfurnace
01-19-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Salopette@Jan 18 2004, 04:02 PM
If you want an advice don't use Napster, you have to pay.

Nothing wrong with paying for software if you enjoy it, If no one ever pays for software, then eventually there might not be much software to pick from. You asked in another posting about trying to get people to donate to one of these other projects, what's the difference if someone pays or donates money to these developers? it is the same thing in the end. money.
In the case of old Napster, alot of users still use the older clients to play their music, as they prefer it for some reason or another.