PDA

View Full Version : Musicmatch Rip-off

sammysamples
07-08-2003, 12:39 AM
[COLOR=red][B]How many people here have paid for the lifetime upgrade for musicmatch jukebox, only to find that NOW it's only good for versions prior to 8.0? I started with version 5.0 myself, and had the free updates through 7.5. Now they're saying we have to pay again for the updates if we want it on 8.0. I say we should all get together and sue their asses. Anybody with me?

locustfurnace
07-08-2003, 08:51 PM
all software vendors do this, they are not the only ones. a lifetime upgrade applys to the version you have, if they decided to add something different to the program that was not there before, then it is no longer the same piece of software.

your lifetime upgrade applies to patches, not necesarily code rewrites. perfect example is MS Windows. how many purchased say Win95, filled out the registration card, since it said you are entitled to free upgrades. yet out comes Win98, and I did not get it for free! it was a new product -yet pretty much the same code. but I now have to pay for it.

thats the life of a software title. free upgrades for the life of the product, but when the life of the product gets core changes, its not the same as it used to be. therfore it is a new product, and if ya want it, you must once again, pay for it.

this happened to me with NTI CD-Maker 3.51, free upgrades, but only up til v3.91.
Once version 4 came out, no longer get free upgrades.

If you want to sue them, be sure you read the user agreement, see if it states, they can change the policy anytime they want. if so, you agreed to it, and you can not sue them.

mike98tx
07-17-2003, 03:30 PM
If you need to get 7.5 freeware.. here is where you can find it for now..
http://www.directfreemp3.com/mp3players.php

elpatri
07-20-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by sammysamples@Jul 8 2003, 12:39 AM
[COLOR=red][B]How many people here have paid for the lifetime upgrade for musicmatch jukebox, only to find that NOW it's only good for versions prior to 8.0? I started with version 5.0 myself, and had the free updates through 7.5. Now they're saying we have to pay again for the updates if we want it on 8.0. I say we should all get together and sue their asses. Anybody with me?
test voor qoute

elpatri
07-20-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by elpatri+Jul 20 2003, 08:30 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elpatri @ Jul 20 2003, 08:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--sammysamples@Jul 8 2003, 12:39 AM
[COLOR=red]How many people here have paid for the lifetime upgrade for musicmatch jukebox, only to find that NOW it&#39;s only good for versions prior to 8.0? I started with version 5.0 myself, and had the free updates through 7.5. Now they&#39;re saying we have to pay again for the updates if we want it on 8.0. I say we should all get together and sue their asses. Anybody with me?
test voor qoute [/quote]
weer een test

08-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by mike98tx@Jul 17 2003, 03:30 PM
If you need to get 7.5 freeware.. here is where you can find it for now..
http://www.directfreemp3.com/mp3players.php

good site.thx.
good site. thx.

gebarber@socket.net
09-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Yes, I&#39;d like to sue them. I&#39;m with you&#33;

My major complaint isn&#39;t that I&#39;m not receiving new updated version but rather that the services offered in my original purchased Musicmatch software has been blocked. I&#39;m specifically referring to CDDB & burning at higher speeds, & I can&#39;t tag audio tracks & print playlists. The software has always been great but restricting functions that were originally provided &, in the case of CDDB, were warranteed in the EULA.

locustfurnace
09-14-2003, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by gebarber@socket.net@Sep 13 2003, 06:11 PM
I&#39;m specifically referring to CDDB & burning at higher speeds, & I can&#39;t tag audio tracks & print playlists.
The problem could be with Gracenotes, which runs the CDDB for many commerical apps. They could have changed their policy, or even their IP address which was coded into the MusicMatch.
IF you are able to change the URL for the CDDB, you might want to point it to http://FreeBD.org and their CDDB, which is free to use, free of licenses, unlike gracenotes.

Burning at higher speeds can be an issue with the hardware, rem that the hardware, not the software dictates how fast you can burn at. If your Burner can only burn at 12x, you can not burn at 48x, even if your medium supports it, since the speed is ruled by hardware.

tagging can be handled by many freeware apps.