PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Play Sound When Modem Disconnects?

Goslow
07-26-2003, 06:26 AM
I have windows 98 se & I.E. 5.5 would like to have a sound file play (as an interupted download alarm ) when modem disconnects .
No Auto Dialers
Any ideas appreciated .
The simpler the better thanks.

locustfurnace
07-26-2003, 12:55 PM
try this.

"Audible dialup connection alarm. Duax Pro sounds an audible alarm whenever an Internet dialup connection is established or broken, thus preventing unintentional or unwanted connections going unnoticed. Optionally plays a sound at preset intervals to remind you that the modem is still online, always or only when the connection is idle."

http://www.simtel.net/product.php?url_fb_p...duct_page=53094 (http://www.simtel.net/product.php?url_fb_product_page=53094)
http://emdem.freeyellow.com/software/duaxp...ro/duaxpro.html (http://emdem.freeyellow.com/software/duaxpro/duaxpro.html)

Goslow
07-28-2003, 05:18 AM
Posted on Jul 26 2003, 12:55 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
try this.
Thanks looks good but whoops I forgot to add the most important criteria Free !!
and something else (I dont ask much lol) a product that doesnt need access out through a firewall to check if the modems connected.

Just some fun www.phonespell.org (http://www.phonespell.org/)

locustfurnace
07-28-2003, 07:25 AM
ok, i'll look later on see what i can see.
Now, have you given the scope to Windows and seen if it itself could do such a feat?
do this,

When windows is running, and you are dialed in and online, go to the CONTROL PANEL, SOUNDS.

See if there is an Event in there for your modem, or DUN (Dial-up Networking). If there is, then you might be able to customize the settings for it.

This is why an external modem would fit half the bill for you, with its row of finely lit LEDS, you can instantly view the status, if it is on or not. if it is NOT connected, then there is just 2 lights on, and they are red, but when it is ONLINE, there is a row filled with green lights.
Plus you can reset external modems far easily then an internal one.

The_Muffin_Man
07-28-2003, 05:52 PM
If you have Juno or AOL, don't get that because you will be hearing that sound ALL THE TIME!

Goslow
07-29-2003, 03:59 AM
locustfurnace
See if there is an Event in there for your modem, or DUN (Dial-up Networking). If there is, then you might be able to customize the settings for it.
Yeah I had looked at it but your post encouraged me to have another go.
No such luck as the above event being available but by going through available events (hoped internet alert whatever that is was the1 but wasn't) I found that by assigning a sound to "close program" and saving it to a scheme,creating a quick launch shortcut to sounds, so I can reasonably easily turn it on & off, when modem disconnects download manager (FreshDownload) attempts to connect 5 times, gives up,closes down,alarm sounds !!
Its all a little silly but fits in with my K.I.S.S. principles so will see how it goes .
Cheers :P

locustfurnace
07-29-2003, 05:24 AM
If i still had dial-up i could help alot easier with this, but i dont. and i do not plan to switch back to dial-up.

in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM folder. there is an applet called lights.exe, this applet is called forth whenever the modem is in use, these will appear as the blinking lights in the systray.
Maybe, it is possible to assign an event to those. because if the modem disconnects, the lights applet will also be closed.

the dial-up networking program is located in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM and is called Rnaapp.exe. So if that is in the event window, assign one to that.

worth another look, and I would be interested to know if it would work.

Goslow
07-30-2003, 04:30 AM
If i still had dial-up i could help alot easier with this
Somehow I doubt this as you wouldn't have time to answer posts

Maybe, it is possible to assign an event to those. because if the modem disconnects, the lights applet will also be closed.
I am very interested in this as any event more closely related to the modem disconnecting than the blunderbuss approach of using close program would save my hearing as any background programs closing also set off the WWII air raid siren .wav
Unfortunately nothing more or as specific as lights.exe appears in the sounds event list and I have no idea how to get windows to recognise more events.

locustfurnace
07-30-2003, 04:36 AM
you need a wav editor to edit the siren.wav to an acceptable level if it is bothering you. drop it by -6dB if it is too annoying.

---------------------
Taken from Registry Faq 95;

Adding sounds to application events
By now you should all realize that you can add sounds to quite a few system events. Those can be located in the Control Panel Sounds dialog. If you haven't been there yet, I'll wait a minute while you return. But, did you realize that with the Registry, you can also add sounds to APPLICATION events?

1. Open up the Registry Editor.
2. Go to the following SubKey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps
3. You will find two SubKeys .Default and Explorer.
4. Right-Click on the SubKey APPS, choose NEW KEY.
5. The new value should be the name of the application that you wish to create event sounds for.
6. Right-Click on the SubKey you just created, and select NEW KEY.
7. An example to get you started: Key: Open Then, create another SubKey called Close.
8. Go to the Control Panel Sounds, and the Application Event SubKeys you just created will now appear in the list that is displayed in the Sounds tab.
9. Add whatever sound files you wish for these events.
10. The very next time that you Open and/or Close that particular application, the sounds will play.
11. For each and every application on your system, you can add sounds to all these standard events:

Close
Open
G.P. Fault
RestoreDown
Maximize
RestoreUp
MenuCommand
SystemAsterisk
MenuPopup
SystemExclamation
Minimize
SystemQuestion
There may be other events possible, but that depends on the particular application events that are used in any given Windows application.
HINT: Button and Icon bars are NOT such events!

---------
Basically you can make an event for everything, i tried making one for the lights and it appears in the Sound Event window.
I made a new key Lights
then i added a subkey Close

you might want to also make a key for Rnapp. that is prolly better then a lights event, since I have had windows freeze and after doing an Explorer reboot, i lost the modem lights, although i was still online, i just lost the applet.

Goslow
07-31-2003, 04:14 AM
Ok
Tried Lights/Close
Event listed ok & .wav attached but doesnt play sound in a timely manner if at all . I suspect although not in system tray still live in the background probably shuts down eventually but not useful.
Rnaapp: same deal here as I see via a task manager type program ,doesnt reveal lights.exe unfortunately, that it does not close down when the modem disconnects
Created Event Go<.exe>/Close which is FreshDownloads application that accesses internet .When this detects no access & shuts down alarm sounds which is a lot better than every closing program sounding off.
However if a download completes sucessfully alarm also sounds as go closes if running simultaneous downloads and one finishes before another same applies.
This I feel is 85% of the way there & I probably will only persist if you push me ;-)
Would be nice to have a separate .wav for go close/download complete & orginal idea re: modem disconnecting :wacko:

of using close program would save my hearing
sorry poor attempt at humor <_<

Can I assign an event to the dialog box that opens ,asking if I want to reconnect, when the modem disconnects .
What would it be called though I suppose again this would be too nonspecific for my purposes as every dialog box would sound ?

locustfurnace
07-31-2003, 06:24 AM
First, I am going to guess you could make a new close .wav file sound. and apply it to different events. you might want to check http://soundamerica.com for sample sounds. Now, if you want to make this work, you are going to need to do some detective work. - again, all tools should be already installed in windows, if not, they can be made to be installed via the windows CD.

one of the best tools i use for detecting spyware and crippling some programs from doing things i dont want them to do is. a windows program called System Information. It should be located in the system folder.
Start/Program Files/Accessories/System Tools/ System Information
or you can type on the RUN command
MSINFO32

to make this effective, be sure you shut down ALL programs that are not necessary, shutdown the anti-virus, spyware blockers, firewalls, web browsers, icq, aol aim,... everything, disconnect from the internet,
you dont want much running at all. - it makes it easier and less confusing with less running.
now, this requires a good memory - or a printer :)
with system information loaded, select the Software Environment, pick the 16bit modules, load it, look it over to see what is running, what belongs to who and whatever else. then go pick the 32bit modules, look it over rem it all.
Hint: this is why running less is best&#33;

now, after you rem what is loaded and what was not, load the dial-up and connect to the internet, but dont load any AOL , or web browsers or nothing else just make a simple connection to the internet.

now go back to the 16 bit modules and then the 32bit modules.

look for the rnapp, lights and whatever else is NEWLY loaded. the newly load dlls and whatever else will belong to the dial-up. there will probably be several different program attached to it.
disconnect the dial up, refresh the modules, see what disappeared. now you should have some idea, of what you MIGHT be able to assign events too. try assigning events to a couple of them, 1 at a time, or 2 at a time, and repeat process of connecting disconencting (hope ISP doesnt get mad&#33;&#33; LOL)

it can be a slow process, it SOUNDS in this text alot harder then it really is. thats because i have to explain alot of steps which when you are doing it you don&#39;t really think of them. Alot of programs call up more programs, usually DLL, which are library files. it might be posisble that by assinging a event to one of those, when they shut down it might sound an alarm

Goslow
08-01-2003, 12:21 AM
OR I could have a GOOD weekend install some silly little app that puts flashing lights for the modem on screen & event that &#33;&#33; LOL

http://soundamerica.com
Thanks but a bit too pushy with the adverts here woke me up to the fact that I hadnt started my popup stopper though and I didnt stick around for long enough to find out if they wanted something like MONEY<_<
I usefindsounds.com (http://www.findsounds.com/)

hope ISP doesnt get mad&#33;&#33; LOL
I come from the land of the almost free: &#036;10/month (&#036;5 in your money I suspect) internet access free local ph calls :D :D

it can be a slow processTHATS ME :D
Will post again have a good one.

locustfurnace
08-01-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Goslow@Aug 1 2003, 12:21 AM

http://soundamerica.com
Thanks but a bit too pushy with the adverts here woke me up to the fact that I hadnt started my popup stopper though and I didnt stick around for long enough to find out if they wanted something like MONEY<_<

it can be a slow processTHATS ME :D
Will post again have a good one.
They have pop-up ads there? sorry about that. Since i dont run javascripting nor ActiveX so i never get pop-up ads. so i had not thought if they would since pop-ups dont bother me - i dont get em&#33;

they dont ask for money, last time i looked they had not, it was all free downloads. BUT that was years and years ago. so who knows.

Yes, you could install an app, but thats just another resource hogging, disk space wasting program, when you could try figuring it out, and save some resources and HD space and learn alot about your system at the same time.

Goslow
08-03-2003, 01:19 AM
AAhh Mum have I been punished enough yet :huh:
Re:Post1
The simpler the better lol

I stayed in :( Did my homework learnt to back up and restore my registry
Tripled the amount of reg backups windows now stores
Assigned enough events to hold the olympics
Have .dll .tsp .exe .ocx coming out my ears&#33;
Blew the cobwebs out of the printer with the torrent of info from SYS. INFO. & frightened the pizza delivery man with my red rimmed eyes

Still no event sound for the modem .I dont think the .dll event & although they open with modem I dont think they close (tried eventing the .dll opening out of curiosity didnt work)
SYS. INFO. doesnt see lights.exe
Reversed the order of sys info scans eg. modem connected-scan-disconnect-scan to see what closes, didnt seem to be anything closing&#33;
Obviously apps do but sys info doesnt see it
Tried eventing Rnaapp/SystemQuestion as I hoped rnaapp calls up the dialog box

ReestablishConnection Reconnect
Connection To Cancel
<NAME>
was terminated.Do you want to reconnect

& I hoped SystemQuestion (in sound events)refers to dialog boxes like above. NO :(

BTW found a free version(maybe nagware) though I havnt installed ;) yet
Duax98 Lite (http://emdem.freeyellow.com/software/duax98lt/duax98lt.html)
or
Modemsta FAQ (http://w1.875.telia.com/~u87508767/modemstafaq.htm)

A .exe looks the most likely to event especially 1 of the above. lol
I noticed most of the above type programs replace lights.exe with their own version

locustfurnace
08-03-2003, 03:06 AM
well thats good learning even if nothing came about with it, maybe one day you will hit upon the golden lantern and it will show the path.

I cant think of anything else to try....yet
been busy setting up a shell account for a user of my email server, teaching the finer arts of Unix to her.
plus a smoorgasboard of others.

maybe the lights dont display since you dont have the modem set up to display the modem lights on connection??
it is under the modem propertys

Goslow
08-03-2003, 11:46 PM
I cant think of anything else to try....yet
That sounds ominous :o

Thanks for the push anway
No problem with the modem lights displaying in the system tray what I meant was that although the lights.exe is running (& displaying in tray) MSINFO32 cannot actually see it as a running process

locustfurnace
08-04-2003, 12:00 AM
ok.
As I had said before in an earlier posting, its tough to set this up without the "benefits" of a dial-up access anymore.
and the modem is stashed in a box with old, no longer needed devices.

If i were able to test run through these settings i might be able to pin-point it. but for now i am not set up with a modem - which would be simple to plug back in and find a modem cable (for external modem).

maybe I should push the dial-in server project up sooner on the list of things to do. maybe....

guess for now you will have to find an alternative or solve the mystery via other routes.

Goslow
08-04-2003, 01:06 AM
No worries
Thanks again
Will post if I find more. :)

locustfurnace
08-04-2003, 01:30 PM
yes, if you do solve your riddle, and find a worth while app, post it, since this thread has gotten long and might lead someone on a path only to turn up empty handed later on. - with no final solution at the end ( of the thread).

this way anyone who follows all the way down this thread might also benefit.

Goslow
08-06-2003, 01:30 AM
I agree if they have managed to wade through it they deserve something I hope they get a couple of laughs I have (& some tears) and some courage to explore.
Some good registry tutoring here :www.pcnineoneone.com (http://www.pcnineoneone.com/tweaks/)

Though I am surprised at you, it must be a typo, surely AND was supposed to read OR :P

yes, if you do solve your riddle, and find a worth while app, post it

Or a laugh (you have to) B) The REAL Homer Simpson &#33;&#33;&#33; (http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/210/metro/Napping_reactor_operator_startles_MIT-.shtml)

locustfurnace
08-06-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Goslow@Aug 6 2003, 01:30 AM
Though I am surprised at you, it must be a typo, surely AND was supposed to read OR :P

yes, if you do solve your riddle, and find a worth while app, post it

Right, because you will either solve it, OR find an app. So it should have read as you pointed out.
I am going to guess you will solve it, AND post a SOLUTION which is not a software, but a personal experience solution.

I am quite sure you will post the remedy in GOSLOW fashion as well, for those others who don&#39;t like when one skimps over the how-to&#39;s details.

locustfurnace
09-10-2003, 07:19 PM
I think i found the app you need (ofcourse if your still needing/wanting this sort of app&#33;)

TICK (previously called TICK98) is probably the ultimate freeware dial up enhancer for Windows 95/98/NT4/2000/XP or Millennium-Me.
Sound an alarm when you connect and disconnect.
free too&#33;
http://www.reallyeffective.co.uk/tick_features.html

Goslow
09-11-2003, 09:53 AM
Yes I&#39;m still needy ;-)
And I&#39;ll add it to the other two I have bookmarked for more through investigation if I decide to go the application route (which incidentally you led me away from) though admitedly I&#39;m a little stalled on any other options at the moment & have it on the slow burner.

free too&#33;
That makes me happy :D

Below
Just ME making assumptions again
just ignore if I&#39;m being an as*hole.

probably the ultimate freeware dial up enhancer
Who&#39;s words are these I really prefer user reviews to any promo material I know you do alot but perhaps it could be identfied as such , I suppose if/when I visted the site I&#39;d probably see for myself.
Anyway thanks I dont mean to griizzle :P
I&#39;ve probably have suppressed memories of being abused by a salesperson. re: my member title

More to the point I&#39;m surprised more download managers dont have an intergrated alarm feature (assuming again that there is atleast one)

I better do something useful and link to a relevant threadOldversion.com Forums Download Resuming Programs (http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?act=ST&f=3&t=1169)

just edited the bits that made sense lol

locustfurnace
09-11-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Goslow@Sep 11 2003, 09:53 AM
Below
Just ME making assumptions again
just ignore if I&#39;m being an as*hole.

probably the ultimate freeware dial up enhancer
Who&#39;s words are these I really prefer user reviews to any promo material I know you do alot but perhaps it could be identfied as such , I suppose if/when I visted the site I&#39;d probably see for myself.

The words are not mine, I never used the app, have no reason to run a DUN app when i got no longer have Dial-up.
I had been putting the "website comments" in italics, to show they are quoted, but when i did that the last time, they were rather difficult to read. Maybe I will see what can be done with the code and underline or something else to set the comments apart from Normal user text.

Even though you have this project on the back burner, you could use the program while trying to figure it out, and maybe by running their app you can investigate while it is running, and see what it does, which might give some useable clues.

Pete
09-12-2003, 01:19 PM
Off Topic:

If you&#39;re quoting a source, why not just use the forum code to make it obvious....For instance this forum code:

&#91;QUOTE=http&#58;//www.reallyeffective.co.uk/tick_features.html&#93;
&#91;i&#93;TICK &#40;previously called TICK98&#41; is probably the ultimate &#91;b&#93;freeware&#91;/b&#93; dial up enhancer for Windows 95/98/NT4/2000/XP or Millennium-Me. &#91;/i&#93;
&#91;b&#93;Sound an alarm when you connect and disconnect.&#91;/b&#93;
free too&#33;&#91;/QUOTE&#93;

Will appear as:

Originally posted by http://www.reallyeffective.co.uk/tick_features.html

TICK (previously called TICK98) is probably the ultimate freeware dial up enhancer for Windows 95/98/NT4/2000/XP or Millennium-Me.
Sound an alarm when you connect and disconnect.
free too&#33;

locustfurnace
09-12-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Pete@Sep 12 2003, 01:19 PM
Off Topic:If you&#39;re quoting a source, why not just use the forum code to make it obvious....For instance this forum code:

thanks for the tip, I tried it before, on a posting sometime after this as well. but I really dont like using the quote for snips off the websites.
I&#39;ll prollly just stick with the italics.
I&#39;ll just keep the quoting for quoting other peoples posts and italics for file descriptions.
would like to set things apart and not over do the message with any 1 of the same markups.