PDA

View Full Version : Aol /opera Question

hobo changba
11-07-2002, 09:54 AM
greetings nice site i'm relatively new to pc's and the internet so please bare with me
i seem to recall reading somewhere that aol doesnt give full internet access but if one could find a very old version (use to come on floppies they said ) it would.
could anyone elaborate on this?

also could someone recommend an old version of opera that would be secure,private ,easy to use and just plain work well?

thanks much for any help

OldVersion.com Admin
11-09-2002, 08:05 PM
What do you mean full Internet access.. :unsure:

11-10-2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by hobo changba@Nov 7 2002, 10:54 AM
greetings nice site i'm relatively new to pc's and the internet so please bare with me
i seem to recall reading somewhere that aol doesnt give full internet access but if one could find a very old version (use to come on floppies they said ) it would.
could anyone elaborate on this?

also could someone recommend an old version of opera that would be secure,private ,easy to use and just plain work well?

thanks much for any help
are you talking about parental controls? i havent used aol in a long time, so i dont know how they work nowadays. perhaps if you used a different browser while conected though aol, that might work. besides, i think aol forces you to upgrade your version. that may be wrong too though, like i said, its been awhile.

as for the opera bit. try pheonix (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoenix/). its a lite version of the mozalla code (ive found opera to be a bit of a memory hog). its easy to use, works well. its as private as any other web browser nowadays. not sure what you mean by private though.

11-10-2002, 04:17 PM
I don't think it's possible to get full Internet access over AOL.
When I had AOL years ago I just used Netscape - connect to AOL then minimize the AOL browser and open Netscape. But you still can't use other protocals like nntp: - if the server doesn't allow you access to the port there's nothing you can do about it, software makes no difference.

You should be able to use Opera 5.12 or 6.0 - both good versions.

--
| Ric

Butch
12-05-2002, 03:45 PM
I have no Prob's.... with Opera6.0.....