PDA

View Full Version : Spreadsheets, Databases, Numbercrunching

Cecil Hughart
11-07-2002, 04:09 PM
Hi all,

I seem to be okay with most of the stuff already here but spend a lot of time processing with excel 5 and wish to evaluate whether I am using the best. Of course mathmatica is a high end tool for a high price. I have excel 5 and borland's quattro pro 4.0.

My chief complaint with newer versions of excel is that the size of the wookbook you can display is limited to 3 pages, whereas excel 5 possesses no such limitation. If I knew how to install it onto my 98 machines or my xp, I wouldn't have to keep the more ancient machines going. When my 486 crashed it took 2 years of number crunching down with it until I can revive the HD. I need an excel expert to talk me through intelligent backup and network use of excel. I also would like to find out if anyone has kept current with quattro pro or has a database program they find valuable before I embark on a new round of number crunching. As I am wishing to perform real time data analysis, any app which can easily import real time data and quickly output the results of computations on such data would win first prize. Whadda think???

embj
12-09-2002, 02:10 AM
Not sure about this but here is a free Office Suite. It is called Open Office. It is avaialble HERE (http://www.openoffice.org). It is made by Sun Microsystems or the people who make StarOffice. Their is no catch or spyware w/ this office suite. It is 100% free.

It is pretty nice. B)

Cecil Hughart
12-09-2002, 06:04 AM
Actually,

I am familiar with Open Office since I have been building computers with Open Office bundled on them. I have also gotten Excel 5 to load onto my XP as well. I still have not been able to recover my data from the HD, however.

Thanks.

locustfurnace
05-28-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Cecil Hughart@Nov 7 2002, 05:09 PM
When my 486 crashed it took 2 years of number crunching down with it until I can revive the HD.
try the program called

GetDataBack 2.00.zip

i have used it several times to recover gigs of data back. I've tried many others, and none worked for a re formatted HD.
data was lost. HD was re formatted, and i got data back from it.

install the crashed HD, and use this program to scan the crashed HD.

for a database, give Mysql a try, its free. you can import your excel data into Mysql via ODBC.

Fishbait
05-29-2003, 02:51 AM
If the HDD is recognised, I can get the data off for you.