PDA

View Full Version : Windows Nt Users

SickAndTiredOfErrorMessages
08-16-2003, 09:35 PM
Okay, I know I have an issue. I have dowloaded MSN Messenger 5.0 and am having troubles installing it. I get an error message 1601: says to go to msn site and dowload software. What software? I mean seriously I have spent more than half the day trying to solve this problem through many sites. I have not come up with any solution yet. I have tried suggestions and all but nothing is fixing this message. I do not have any version of MSN Messenger installed. So there is nothing to uninstall. I am about to give up all hope here, I need a caring and honest person to help me solve this problem. Thanks for your time and Patience.

locustfurnace
08-16-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by SickAndTiredOfErrorMessages@Aug 16 2003, 09:35 PM
I do not have any version of MSN Messenger installed.
Did you have a previous version installed? If you did and uninstalled it, you only uninstalled the binaries, Microsoft WIndows uses a registry (database) to keep track of installed software. So even when you uninstall software, there is a record of it having had once been installed.

I do not use MSN, never had never will, So i might be wrong, but alot of software works this way.
the reasopn if might not be installing, and asking to download software - msn6 probably. Is becasue the software is designed to look for the NEWEST versio online, as soon as it begins to install. This would explain why it tells you to go to a site and download software.

A possible solution, would be to install MSN without being online. If you have DSL/CABLE, just unplug the NIC cable.
install te software. and maybe it will work fine.

And whats the NT error you titled the message with? Since you never mentioned an error with NT, but the error is with MSN, you should have titled the post accordiningly IF you want an answer that pertains to your exact question. Misleading in the title of the post might not get the attention for the question your asking for.
And also there really is no need to post multiple times on the forum the same exact question. Your question will get answered with 1 posting.
This is an active board and questions usually get answered very quickly.