PDA

View Full Version : Zonealarm Question

guest_CALM
08-26-2003, 07:39 PM
With all of the new stronger, better more virulent worms around I was wondering if there is any good reason to upgrade my version of Zonealarm? Running version 2.1.44 on a AMD 333 Windows 98-2.
I have looked at the newer versions and they are not as clear and simple and this version, so I would prefer not to upgrade but would if it will make the computer more secure. It is a dial up modem. THANKS! Chris

Goslow
08-27-2003, 01:15 AM
I have a very similar setup to yours and use (free) version Z.A.3.72--
I agree I also didnt like the supposedly new improved interface (fat toolbar & ugly add)
Updating is allways a concern "if it aint broke dont fix it" however in Z.A's version release historys most of them are to improve security (whos they dont say lol) and I guess I didnt install Z.A for the pretty interface so I upgrade from time to time.
I think Z.A. has a forum you might find something there

locustfurnace
08-27-2003, 11:30 AM
well the worm spread through port 135, if you close it with your firewall, it is closed. If it was not closed, then you could be open to problems. I really dont see any reason why port 135 would have been open anyway with any version. Unless ZoneAlarm takes an ALL OPEN By Default setting, which I do not believe they do. Since most people who obtain ZA do not know anything about firewalls or networking.
I dont think you will get different filter rules by upgrading ZA. The reason you upgrade would be due to program code errors, bugs, glitches and new features; such as new interactive UI's. But the packet filtering ruleset would most likley remain unchanged.

Since it is a software firewall, there could be potential holes which could be used to defeat the firewalling. and a upgrade might fix those holes found. This is why before you do an upgrade on any product you should always review the changelog, to see what changes took place, and if they matter in your particular case. If the changes don't include bug fixes that render the software insecure, then don't upgrade.

Pete
08-28-2003, 07:38 AM
I haven't had any problems, but some people with older computers, consider the latest version of ZoneAlarm too much of a resource hog. They prefer one of the older versions. I've referred a few to Oldversion.com.

As far as I know, the only problem with an older version occurs if you are being targeted for an attack. There is an exploit that can turn the older free versions off. If you're alert, you will notice the icon disappear from your task bar, and disconnect.

If you aren't alert, or if you sometimes leave your computer connected, but unattended, you may wish to consider another firewall.

Goslow
09-01-2003, 03:45 AM
There is an exploit that can turn the older free versions off. If you're alert, you will notice the icon disappear from your task bar, and disconnect.
Hi Pete if this should happen I figure you have to be VERY alert as I see probes on port 135 every 20-30 seconds, I think this is msblaster & although it currently doesnt effect my system I would want to disconnect faster than I had to be to beat locustfurnace to a post reply ;-)

locustfurnace
09-01-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Goslow@Sep 1 2003, 03:45 AM
[QUOTE]I would want to disconnect faster than I had to be to beat locustfurnace to a post reply ;-)
LOL

Arthur
09-06-2003, 12:43 AM
Stick with the one you have... anything in the 3's will eat up your resources.

CALM
11-05-2003, 09:45 AM
Hi. I need to revisit this topic but it is about my newer computer.--
ZA has been acting really weird lately-- not finding websites that I visit every day (this one!) It gives "not found" messages so I have been shutting it dowm totally. I had the newest version from here. So I downloaded the newest free version from their website and I cannot find the list of programs that are enabled or blocked. There is a "Programs" logo on the little ZA block but there is nothing to click on. I have no way to see what is running. Alarms still come up and ask if I want to allow access but there is no list. I may totally uninstall this and go to the Aginitum that has been recommended here but want to know why this is not as it was! Or do I have to buy ZAPro?
Thanks for any help! Chris

Pete
11-05-2003, 11:31 AM
If you've just been using the menu on the left....Take a look at the tabs near the upper right, (just below the "help" icon).

"Main" doesn't show you much more than the basic settings, the other tab will let you see the program status or the alert log, etc, depending on which catagory you have open.

CALM
11-05-2003, 02:12 PM
as Emily Litella was heard to say "nevermind" I FINALLY found the darn link but had to click on the Program control link on the left First.! I should know better than to try this stuff before lunch ;)
Thanks all!

locustfurnace
11-05-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by CALM@Nov 5 2003, 03:12 PM
I FINALLY found the darn link but had to click on the Program control link on the left First.!
Next time, while in the program try clicking on the F1 key, this SHOULD bring up the programs HELP file, and you can search for your question through that manual. Even Windows works this way, if your not certain of something, click on the desktop, then press F1, and up should pop up a MS help file, ready for you to try finding a solution.
dont have to click the desktop, but it will return focus back to windows, else you might press F1 while focus is on an app, and it will bring up that programs help file, so it is usually easier just to click on the desktop to make certain your getting the Windows help.

11-13-2003, 07:54 PM
While old versions of many types of software may be better for reason X,Y,Z, it's best IMO to keep up-to-date with firewall software and run the latest version as it is released and stay informed by reading changelogs.

Pete
11-25-2003, 01:07 PM
UPDATE:

The Oldversion.com download page for Zone Alarm lists Version 3.1 as the "current version".

Version 4.5.530.000 has been released.

locustfurnace
11-25-2003, 01:20 PM
yes, the Oldversion site is also getting out of date, but thats to be expected, when titles update so often. and also, the whole site is being updated, programmed and coded, one of these days, a brand new OV will emerge. with lots of updates.
this takes time, to work out the coding and test and sort throuhg all the files.
I think the "current version" tagging should be either removed, to keep surfers from finding an app thats just been updated and posting how its been updated, or use a timeline, to say, current as of a fixed date, subject to change.
you go to PCworld to download an app, it might say such-such version, you d/l it only to find it is a newer version. it happens.
I dont think the issue on OV is to worry about what the current version number has ticked to, since the whole concept here is to find older versions.
when you host old software, you site is really never out of date.