PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Question

CALM
08-28-2003, 11:08 AM
My new computer-connected to the same phone line/jack as this one- connects Much faster. This modem was new last year and both are v90.
We dial into Earthlink on a variety of #s but that one is always faster and this one never gets out of the 20,000s. (its alot like watching paint dry!) Would one of the (yikes) $90.00 modems make a difference? Would anything make a difference?

AT my old house this one connected at 53,333 Always but that was also several modems ago and I was much closer to phone bldg. My next-door neighbor does seem to dial up faster and we are thinking about at least a new line from the pole.
HELP I am sick of watching paint dry!

locustfurnace
08-28-2003, 12:50 PM
You did adjust the com ports speeds to the highest possible? its 921,600 bits per second, 8 data bits, No Parity, 1 stop bit, flow control Xon/Xoff. adjust the FIFO buffers to Receive High (14), Transmit Buffer High(16). Adjust your modems to highest possible speed - 115,000.

Also make sure you are not running the phone line across any AC power cords. Make sure the the modem, i am guessing it is an internal model, is properly seated, and that the retaining screw is in place. this will keep the modem from moving in the PCI slot, and making poor connections to the slot.

Check the FREE phone wire they ship with the modem, and replace it, its usually a very cheap wire and low gauge wire and sucessible to noise.
replace the phone line from the wall to the phone switch box, before you replace the line to the pole.
make sure the phone jack is seated properly and tight into the modem and the wall jack.
make sure you dont have any old modem drivers on the computer. only use the newest and updated modem drivers.

Goslow
09-11-2003, 10:25 AM
Of a side interest would you like to check your "true!!" surfing speed this site needs pictures enabled to indicate your speed ,takes tiny samples from many sites I get about 15kbps lol boo hoo hoo. :( http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed/

locustfurnace
09-11-2003, 12:22 PM
those Speed Test sites, should not be used as gospel, they can vary so wildly to make your conenction a turbo charged OC3 connection to a 900baud connection.
you can use it for a referrence, but dont believe it to be 100% accurate, since many factors play a role in the results.

you have to think, how far are they from you, how many hops from you to them, net-congestion.........

the gaffer
01-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Of a side interest would you like to check your "true!!" surfing speed this site needs pictures enabled to indicate your speed ,takes tiny samples from many sites I get about 15kbps lol boo hoo hoo. :( http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed/

you still on dial up Goslow ? man i dont know how i ever managed my current speed and thats on the network and i think theres three users on here at the moment (kids) 629kbs. i think i would give up sooner than go back to dial up.

Windows 2000 SP4
01-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Yep dialup was once the choice of internet been there done that. Phone line can only handle so much traffic. And it really does not matter if you buy $5.00 or $100.00 modem.

Best thing of dialup you always get new ip address other then that it was useless very easy to say sitting here on cable connection huh lolol.

There is tweaks for high speed connections but in your case there is null for tweaks for dialup.

53,333 to 40,000 is good anything else below 40,000 disconnect and dialup again. All your calls must be local and there must be a few local numbers to use.

the gaffer
01-17-2007, 05:27 PM
those Speed Test sites, should not be used as gospel, they can vary so wildly to make your conenction a turbo charged OC3 connection to a 900baud connection.
you can use it for a referrence, but dont believe it to be 100% accurate, since many factors play a role in the results.

you have to think, how far are they from you, how many hops from you to them, net-congestion.........

absolutely spot on locust,i tried 3 different sites tonite and the results were so far apart im not even sure you get a rough guide.

Windows 2000 Professional
01-18-2007, 10:52 AM
lollol 2,642.45 DL/UL 494.75