Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Matt

MSN is doing some weird stuff. When I log on, I get a bunch of people all at once adding me to their list. I later discovered these are various people from MSN lists belonging to other people in the house who use the computer. When the new people are adding, my original contacts are deleted. It's frustrating. Is this happening to anyone else or does anyone know how to fix it?

I'm thinking it's either a virus or it's because I had MSN 4.6. I can't upgrade to 5.0, it doesn't work properly on Windows 95. AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! Damn MSN.

Super Moderator

you might want to try one of the many alternatives to the msn messenger. there are many that interop with such as yahoo, icq, msn

http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...t=ST&f=2&t=1238

Matt

I think MSN Messenger ver. 4.6 is officially dead. When you try to log on, a windows pops up saying you must upgrade. They won't even let you sign in now. R.I.P. 4.6, it was fun while it lasted.

I have to use what most of my buddies use. I doubt they would all switch to another messenger just because of me.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Matt@Sep 25 2003, 07:37 PM
    I have to use what most of my buddies use. I doubt they would all switch to another messenger just because of me.
    You dont HAVE to use the MSN Messenger client, if the interoperable clients that are out there still can provide connectivity to the MSN messenger once Microsoft deals it changes out, then you could use one of those others cleints, that give access to the MSN network, as well as ICQ, AOL.
    I made a big list on this site with alternative clients, with operate with the major services, without being confined to the prescribed clients.

Matt

Yes, I realize there are other programs that can provide the msn messenger service. I saw your big list, and tried many of the options. But none of them download properly on my computer. I get a pop-up window saying I'm missing a .DLL, whatever that is.

MSN Messenger 5.0 seems to be working now, however there are still a few bugs. Such as I can't change my name, or anything else in the options section. When I press OK to save the changes, I get a pop-up saying this: "The number in the minutes box must be 1 or greater. To turn off the activity detector, please clear the check box." But I can't clear the check box for the away status (I assume that's what they're talking about) because it's faded, the option isn't available. Kinda dumb.

MSN didn't think this "forced upgrade" through, in my opinion.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Matt@Oct 1 2003, 06:12 PM
    I get a pop-up window saying I'm missing a .DLL, whatever that is.

MSN didn't think this "forced upgrade" through, in my opinion.
    .dll are Dynamic Link Library. you can learn alittle more about em here, if you chose to
    http://www.winguides.com/dictionary.php/20...0/?guide=driver

I don't think MS really thinks about anything they do. they just follow the money trail, and they are not making money when people are selling other clients which use their servers to function.
    So they force upgrades, twist the arms of some developers for cash, and now I read Yahoo is following in the BLOCK Trillian from their servers.

wolfy01

[B][I] Why in the world dont ya just up grade your system to 98 or higher.???? GEEEEZ

Super Moderator

Originally posted by wolfy01@Oct 3 2003, 06:25 PM
    [b] [I] Why in the world dont ya just up grade your system to 98 or higher.???? GEEEEZ
    Win95 uses less RAM than 98. requires less disk space as well.
    and some people dont like to change.

Matt

Originally posted by wolfy01@Oct 3 2003, 06:25 PM
    [b] [I] Why in the world dont ya just up grade your system to 98 or higher.???? GEEEEZ
    Can't get 98 on my little computer. It'd probably crash on me. A new computer is not currently in the budget. 95 has been working fine for me, with the exception of this MSN incident.

Update on my situation: After a few tries, I got Miranda downloaded and it's the best IM service i've ever had. Works great. I can still use Messenger now, woo-hoo!

locustfurnace, thanks for all your help and responses. It is much appreciated.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Matt+Oct 4 2003, 11:30 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Matt @ Oct 4 2003, 11:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>95 has been working fine for me, with the exception of this MSN incident.[/b]

If win95 fits the bill, no need to change it, you do gain a "tiny" bit with switching to win98, but not enough to justify the expense. I ended up buying Win Nt 4.0 and was disappointed with it as well. And as well with Win2k and XP. For the cost of upgrading to OS&#39;s that needed more patching code than is in the OS base (W2k up to Sp6&#33, I just went back and stuck with 98se. I think MS needs to stop using their code base from win3.1 and then patching it, writing some new extensions, and calling it a brand new OS when in fact its just slapped all over with some band-aids.

You would benefit updating to Win98, but you will also be starting fresh with new problems. So why even bother.
    if you later buy a brand new PC with Xp loaded on it, then thats one thing. if the computer does what you need, then save your money.

<!--QuoteBegin--Matt
    @Oct 4 2003, 11:30 PM
    Update on my situation: After a few tries, I got Miranda downloaded and it&#39;s the best IM service i&#39;ve ever had. Works great. I can still use Messenger now, woo-hoo&#33;

locustfurnace, thanks for all your help and responses. It is much appreciated.
    [/quote]

Your welcome, glad you got things all workin out for you now.