Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    bouganvillier

B)Am using 98se/512 RAM w 600mhz cpu / cable connection with IE 6 SP 1 .No probs with install whatsoever AFTER I uninstalled IE 5.5 SP 2 (which I have put on many 95,98 machines with as low as 40 mb RAM).make sure your antivirus and software firewall are not running or you will probably have to uninstall and reinstall time after time.make sure you don't install the first or beta versions of ie6 or remove them if they are there. If you have win 98 , make sure you get the shutdown update fix before going to 6sp 1 .this is a great site as you can't get 5.5 sp 2 from microsoft anymore. with the abundance of software . Sygate firewall and Avg (Grisoft) antivirus progs are VERY compatible with IE6 SP1 and are free. I uninstalled my antivirus and software PF before I put on Ie6sp 1 but this is overkill. If you have a cpu under 500 mhz I recommend 5.5 sp 2-although I have seen some with a heap o' RAM do ok..If you are downloading 6sp 1 and it is unsatisfactory try again from a different site(uninstall each time of course) . the second install worked for me and I have never looked back. Have had IE 6 SP 1 on my home machine since it was first released. Make sure you go to Windows Update and do ALL of the critical updates and you not be sorry. If you do banking or transactions online the minimum Win browser I would use is 5.5 SP 2.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by bouganvillier+Sep 28 2003, 05:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bouganvillier @ Sep 28 2003, 05:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>If you do banking or transactions online the minimum Win browser I would use is 5.5 SP 2.[/b]

You would want to make sure you have a SSL of 128bit, this is the Secure Socket Layer, it is an encrypted connection. Not always available outside the USA, so make sure your countrys laws permit this high an encryption level before applying. otherwise you can use the 64bit encryption, or 48bit.

<!--QuoteBegin--http://www.openssl.org/

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT EXPORT/IMPORT AND/OR USE OF STRONG CRYPTOGRAPHY SOFTWARE, PROVIDING CRYPTOGRAPHY HOOKS OR EVEN JUST COMMUNICATING TECHNICAL DETAILS ABOUT CRYPTOGRAPHY SOFTWARE IS ILLEGAL IN SOME PARTS OF THE WORLD. SO, WHEN YOU IMPORT THIS PACKAGE TO YOUR COUNTRY, RE-DISTRIBUTE IT FROM THERE OR EVEN JUST EMAIL TECHNICAL SUGGESTIONS OR EVEN SOURCE PATCHES TO THE AUTHOR OR OTHER PEOPLE YOU ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO ANY EXPORT/IMPORT AND/OR USE LAWS WHICH APPLY TO YOU. SO BE CAREFUL, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY.
    [/quote]