Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ramian

I found this real cool place which has ancient relic versions of
    Windows (from 1.01 to 3.11),
    MS-DOS (2.2 to 5.0),
    Winamp (0.2 to 2.24),
    mIRC (1.9 & 3.2),
    pkZip 2.4,
    Word 2.0
    Windows Media Player 5.1,
    Acrobat reader 2.0.

Is it "legal" to distribute old versions of such programs (esp Windows, DOS or Word)?

Please tell me what you want and I'll get it for you (if it is legal that is. If it ain't, then forget it)

cheers!

Super Moderator

Originally posted by ramian@Sep 18 2003, 03:39 PM
    I found this real cool place which has ancient relic versions of
    Windows (from 1.01 to 3.11),
    MS-DOS (2.2 to 5.0),
    Winamp (0.2 to 2.24),
    mIRC (1.9 & 3.2),
    pkZip 2.4,
    Word 2.0
    Windows Media Player 5.1,
    Acrobat reader 2.0.

Is it "legal" to distribute old versions of such programs (esp Windows, DOS or Word)?

Please tell me what you want and I'll get it for you (if it is legal that is. If it ain't, then forget it)

cheers!
    No it is not legal. Those are copyrighted, retail apps. and is illegal to offer for anyone to download. The Sites FAQ states the nature of this site, this site if for Shareware, Freeware, NOT retail apps.

Have you heard the big battle cries over warez sites? or over the term "pirated" software? Those terms are referring to retail products, products not shareware or freeware, but full versions of software that is being sold.

Do you run Windows XP, with the product activation garbage? that system was designed to keep people from "sharing" their copies of Windows with others. Becasue sharing your copy with others is illegal.
    Microsoft does not even permit you to put 1 copy, you purchased, of Windows on 2 computers. They want you to buy a copy for each system you own. with that, they will not want you to offer their products for downloading.

I just answered a similar question this past week froms someone wanting a MS product. http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...t=ST&f=3&t=1270

The answer is NO to retail apps, such as Windows OS, MS-DOS, MS Word.
    The other apps you have listed may or may not be retail, I know the winamp is shareware, freeware; OV already hosts Acrobat Reader, Winamp, WMP.
    But the Operating System is illegeal to host, share with others.

ramian

heh... no. its not a warez site cos my friend is just hosting them on his own server. I personally don't use warez so you can't fault me on that. I'll just tell him that its illegal and ask him to take it down.
    cheers!

Super Moderator

Originally posted by ramian@Sep 18 2003, 04:03 PM
    heh... no. its not a warez site cos my friend is just hosting them on his own server. I personally don't use warez so you can't fault me on that. I'll just tell him that its illegal and ask him to take it down.
    cheers!
    yea, you might want to do that, if someone would stumble upon his site, and inform Microsoft, he could get into trouble for that.