Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

CALM

How can I find the WINS address to use when I want to reconfigure my TCP/IP so I can disable NetBios?
    I know HOW to do it--- all except where to get the IP address of the WINS server.
    Thanks!
    Chris

Dookie

It differs slightly depending on windoze version

Click START ..Settings/ Network and Dial Up Connections

Find icon for your modem/cable connection. Right click for properties.

Select the TCP/IP protocal ..click properties button .. then advanced button

Super Moderator

you dont need a WINS IP for connecting to the internet. If you needed it, then you would recieve that from your ISP, or if you were part of a local network, you would get that from your Admin. Are you connected to a WINS Server?

CALM

Super Moderator

Ok, i read through the URL you posted. but i did not see anyhting indicating the need for the WINS Reolution. are you positive you need to make modifications to this (WINS). I am not sure why they would have you mod the WINS though

CALM

Well if you dont know, I am sure that I dont!
    Just trying to secure the puters..... they are not networked together and if I get a new monitor for this old W98 I will prolly use it more than the new one. Since privacy is a n issue with me there certainly seems to be alot more stuff on the new firewall list than this one.
    Thanks again, Chris

Super Moderator

Originally posted by CALM@Sep 24 2003, 08:18 AM
    Well if you dont know, I am sure that I dont!
    Just trying to secure the puters..... they are not networked together and if I get a new monitor for this old W98 I will prolly use it more than the new one. Since privacy is a n issue with me there certainly seems to be alot more stuff on the new firewall list than this one.
    Thanks again, Chris
    I just dont see any reason for adding an address to the WINS, unless you are connected to a WINS server.
    I have several different systems connected, from a Windwos WFW3.11, WIndows 98, Windows 2000, BeOS, QNX, OpenBSD, Mac OS9, and SGI IRIX, FreeBSD, UnDead OS connected to 1 network, and I never configured a single Windows box with WINS.

if you want to run BOTH windows machines you have, without using a monitor, there are alot of Virtual Network tools, such as VNC, which allows you to control the one system, from the desktop of another, This i use alot, for configuring and using the tools from different Systems, without the expense of AND the lost space of multiple monitors. So on my WIndows machine, i can configure, run programs, start a job on a system, without leaving the monitor, keyboard, or even mouse, of the computer i sit infront of.

another alternative, would be to turn the old computer into a dedicated firewall. which can be done with extremely old computers, I built one, with a 90Mhz CPU with 20 megs RAM, no harddrive, just a floppy drive, plus 2 network cards.
    the firewall ran on the floppy drive, which was write protected via the bios and the floppy tab.