Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Koontzy

Please can someome tell me what the best programs available to optimize Dos if I have a Laptop 486 with 20mb ram ...? I Also have win95.!
    Thanks alots..!

Ric Gates

Memmaker.exe - it comes with MSDOS 6 and should be included in the Window 95 install.
    From DOS type HELP MEMMAKER
    Win95 installs it in \Windows but you can't run it from windows unless you let it reboot into DOS.
    Also you probably need to copy the help.com files off the CD if you haven't, in the OTHER\OLDMSDOS folder. Copy them to Wondows\Command.
    I think there was a third party program that was probably better, by Symantic maybe?

--
    | Ric

Beta

Originally posted by Ric Gates@Nov 14 2002, 04:59 AM
    Memmaker.exe - it comes with MSDOS 6 and should be included in the Window 95 install.
    From DOS type HELP MEMMAKER
    Win95 installs it in \Windows but you can't run it from windows unless you let it reboot into DOS.
    Also you probably need to copy the help.com files off the CD if you haven't, in the OTHER\OLDMSDOS folder. Copy them to Wondows\Command.
    I think there was a third party program that was probably better, by Symantic maybe?

--
    | Ric
    I was always wondering where you put those files from the [CD]:\TOOLS\OLDMSDOS\ (where [CD] is, that's the letter of your CD drive which may be different from mine since I have a hard drive with 3 partitions). (I'm running Windows 98 SE and got those files off a Windows 98 SE Upgrade disk) I'm going to place them in the C:\WINDOWS\Command\ folder now.

File list:
    deltree.exe
    emm386.exe
    ext.exe
    extract.exe
    fc.exe
    mem.exe
    move.exe
    msd.exe
    qbasic.exe
    smartdrv.exe
    xcopy.exe
    xcopy32.exe
    help.hlp
    qbasic.hlp
    doskey.com
    help.com
    xcopy32.mod

NOTE to those who don't know: Drives A and B are reserved for your first two floppy drives (configured in BIOS). The first partition of the first hard drive gets letter C, then any other letter after that if you have more than 1 partition and/or have more than 2 hard drives (with 1 or more partition).

Ric Gates

Doh! I misspelt "Windows", sorry. Yeh, for most people that's C:\WINDOWS\Command\

The default windows search path is
    C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
    so whatever you put in COMMAND will get found, like if you type it in RUN or if you boot into DOS and type it. - and anything in Windows also.
    This could change if something in Autoexec.bat sets that path to something else, you can check your path...
    from DOS type PATH
    from Windows go to RUN and type:
    command /k PATH

DOS and Windows are not case sensitive, except sometimes for switches like the "/k" above
    So if you get the message "Bad command or filename", it's either because the file isn't there in the path, or the path is set wrong. Also note that your current location is searched first.

Oh, and another good tip, look through the TOOLS folder on the Win98 CD and the OTHER folder on the Win95 CD, look for *.txt files and read them. There are lots of helpful utilities that noone tells you about. Win95 actually has two backup programs, one called Emergency Recovery Utility and the other is Configuration Backup Utility.

--
    | Ric