Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    crazydyke

Instead of the disk defrag program that comes installed with winxp is there a better prgram for defragmenting?

CALM

Are these programs better or just different?
    Not trying to me smart, just wondered if there is any reason to download something else. I dont have any problems with defrag in XP. I did with W98 and did use Clean Disc 3 which has vanished fron the internet/cyberspace!

Super Moderator

Originally posted by CALM@Oct 15 2003, 09:57 PM
    Are these programs better or just different?
    Not trying to me smart, just wondered if there is any reason to download something else. I dont have any problems with defrag in XP. I did with W98 and did use Clean Disc 3 which has vanished fron the internet/cyberspace!
    Yes, there is a big diference, Even Microsoft states that the built in defrag tool in Win95 --> Me is rather poor. it is not designed like third party apps are.
    Microsoft just supplys the bare minimum in a defrag tool, think of it, can you set the defrag too schedule and scan across the network. Also the interface for Windows XP defrag tool, looks so much like Diskeepers, which makes me think they probably had licensed Diskeepers' tool for use in XP.
    Back in the older DOS days the recommended tool was Nortons SpeedDisk for defragmenting.
    Make note that with todays much faster HardDrives and hyper fast CPU's, fragmentation is les a concern than it was in the past.
    even when you do defrag the system, you wont notice an improvement if any.
    The only real reason to defrag now is too keep the data orderly incase you plan to do some video editing. or just so you "feel" the system is faster.
    Windows is still the only OS that makes an issue with fragmentation and defragmenting the filesystem, since there is no concern for that issue with other OS's, such as the UNICS, or *BSD's.
    Windows NT does not ship with a defrag tool. guess Microsoft did not feel it was necessary or they just did not have a good enough or who knows why.

Originally posted by CALM@Oct 15 2003, 09:57 PM
    I did with W98 and did use Clean Disc 3 which has vanished fron the internet/cyberspace!

Abra Cadabra
    I see youve updated maybe you could post on how well cdisk3 served you.
    I for 1 still have 98.
    If its the same app' you used I found a version if anyone wants it.
    A cleaner rather than defrag though.
    Freeware Version: 3.5
    Size: 2.20 MB
    Review:
    Clean Disk 3 is a very simple and quick program to use. It can help protect your privacy, allowing you to clear out your history and cookie files with just the touch of a button. Clean Disk comes with a list of file types it removes, which you can add to or remove from, then set it to work with just the touch of a button. The menus are mostly self-explanatory but, when one is encountered that isn't, the lack of support and help files for this product are put in a bad light.

-------------------
    Clean Disk v.3.6.0 2.00 MB 2001-03-02 cdisk3.exe I ran but not installed exe ver3.6.0
    You should note that it requires the Visual Basic 6 Runtime files
    --------------
    <s>http://www.aesoftware.com/cdisk3.zip</s> deadlink
    Version: 3.72
    License: Freeware
    cdisk3.zip (May 29 2001, 2.9M)
    Clean Disk will free up disk space by deleting temporary directories, and other files such as remaining setup files that are not required
    ( O.V&#39;s ) and will not harm Windows and/or any program. Clean Disk also includes an Update utility that lets you have the latest version of Clean Disk easy and fast, just a single-click and you are on your way of having the latest version of the program.WARNING latest would b shareware
    ----------------------
    Clean Disk 2003 is shareware. This program can be tested for a period of 30 days
    Program: Clean Disk 2003
    Version: 5.1.1
    Size: 2.41 MB (2,528,423 bytes)

http://www.aesoftware.com/cdisk2003_download.htm Download page
    Links functional but have not been tested for exact file/version (click on link oar right click save target as)

CALM

Originally posted by Goslow@Oct 16 2003, 07:19 AM

Abra Cadabra
    I see youve updated maybe you could post on how well cdisk3 served you.
    I for 1 still have 98.
    If its the same app&#39; you used I found a version if anyone wants it.

THANK YOU&#33; When I use the W98 puter I will def. download/pay for Clean Disc 3&#33; It worked wonderfully for me for derfag and cookie mgmt. Could not get the windows defrag to work without doing SafeMode. Cookie mgmt isnt so much of an issue now that I have NS 7.1
    Clean Disc 3 worked well for me&#33;

Originally posted by CALM@Oct 16 2003, 08:42 AM
    download/pay for Clean Disc 3&#33; Clean Disc 3 worked well for me&#33;
    Pay&#33; pay&#33; ss sorry I&#39;m trying to stay calm
    Why <s>pay</s> the old version was and still is freeware
    If it worked well why update unless paying is an improvement.I guess the authors think so&#33;

CALM

Originally posted by Goslow+Oct 16 2003, 03:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Goslow @ Oct 16 2003, 03:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--CALM@Oct 16 2003, 08:42 AM
    download/pay for Clean Disc 3&#33; Clean Disc 3 worked well for me&#33;
    If it worked well why update unless paying is an improvement.I guess the authors think so&#33;[/b][/quote]
    Sorry-- didnt mean to shock you. It was early and I was stumbling around as usual and saw "shareware" and thought "pay" But if I can get the old version that works for me back I certainly will. DOnt worry-- I have lots of Scottish ancestors

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Goslow+Oct 16 2003, 03:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Goslow @ Oct 16 2003, 03:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--CALM@Oct 16 2003, 08:42 AM
    download/pay for Clean Disc 3&#33;* Clean Disc 3 worked well for me&#33;
    If it worked well why update unless paying is an improvement.I guess the authors think so&#33; [/b][/quote]
    Paying for an app will insure that the author has funds to continue developing the program. Even alot of freeware authors who dont charge for their apps wont turn away some extra cash.
    there is nothing wrong with paying for an app you like and wish to continue to see future versions.
    Maybe the old version is freeware, but if CALM wants to, can toss some money, thats up CALM.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Goslow@Oct 16 2003, 07:19 AM
    Thats a file deletion, history killer app, not a DEFRAG tool. they are not similar or even closely the same.
    If you want a disk cleaning utility, post that in a topic, since this is unrelated to disk defragmentation tools.
    And I think I already covered file cleaning in a post way back, long ago.
    I am sure CALM has notes from it written down somewhere also.

I am just making sure it is well noted that CleanDisk is a different utility, and does not Defrag the HD as the ones I have listed. Just dont want someone downloading cleandisk then coming back and saying OV told them to use this to defrag their HD and it did not work. which happened already with another app......