Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    CALM

I havent had time to look closely at CleanDisc3 but I know way back I had asked for the defrag program by that name and it couldnt be found but if it is not the defrag program that I wanted I can tell the difference
    And Locustfurnace (and anyone else)-- when I find useful info on your posts I tend to save it in Word or print it out and put it in a notebook that I am compiling. (I know that is so old-fashioned, but I like to be able to read paper articles and magazine and newspapers and not be "online" sometimes)
    If I can easily reread something that I dont quite understand it tends to become less like algebra! Since I dont have a laptop I cant read stuff in the recliner!

Super Moderator

Originally posted by CALM@Oct 17 2003, 04:09 PM
    And Locustfurnace (and anyone else)-- when I find useful info on your posts I tend to save it in Word or print it out and put it in a notebook that I am compiling. (I know that is so old-fashioned, but I like to be able to read paper articles and magazine and newspapers and not be "online" sometimes)
    well i got a dozen notebooks, that i write down info i read in books, zines, articles. anytime i make a new find, i write em down. Especially since alot of the info is something you wont use on a daily basis, and can be forgotten easily.
    Such as when i am working on a database and i need a sql script to compare 3 or more items. and i find a good output i like, i write the script down so i can reuse the script later.
    I know computers dont last as long as printed paper that is certain, i do have 1 book in my book library that is from 1835, while none of the computers i have are that old : )

Originally posted by locustfurnace+Oct 16 2003, 06:59 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (locustfurnace @ Oct 16 2003, 06:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Goslow@Oct 16 2003, 07:19 AM
    A cleaner rather than defrag though.
    Thats a file deletion, history killer app, not a DEFRAG tool. they are not similar or even closely the same.
    If you want a disk cleaning utility, post that in a topic, since this is unrelated to disk defragmentation tools.

I am just making sure it is well noted that CleanDisk is a different utility, and does not Defrag the HD as the ones I have listed. Just dont want someone downloading cleandisk then coming back and saying OV told them to use this to defrag their HD and it did not work. which happened already with another app......[/b][/quote]
    Thanks locustfurnace
    if I may add
    ----------------------
    Advisory for "someones" or their offspring: Do not continue reading/staring uncomprehendly my post as I have made glaring omissions in its construction and safety protocols the possibilty exists that it could explode sending fragmented sentences & random letters to penetrate the eyes.
    Of course I could have miscalculated and the above cannot happen by continuing on you assume all&any risks and neither I nor my host can be held responsible.

The program reportedly links to MS Defrag and MS Scandisk and other utils

cdisk3 update:

Program: Clean Disk 2002
    Version: 4.2.1
    Size: 3.72 MB (3,911,499 bytes)
    OS Compatibility: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP.

Still freeware-this maybe instructive it is not an instruction&#33; you hopefully are free to do as you will.

cdisk2002_info.htm read more >
    download page >

-----------------
    On no account send me money unless it is an attempt to corrupt my ideals make me prematurepost without request cover myself with pretty flashing lights become fat and bloatwared and sell to a mutinational for an undisclosed sum. And as money is the "root of all evil*" (& IMHO the corruption of the net )a large or small boat would be the preffered option You would need to Please Register to do this

* higher source

Super Moderator

but it is still not a defrag tool. even with links fixed does not make it a defragmentor&#33;
    as i said, if someone wants a disk cleaner, they need to post a topic and can fill that in with lots of links to disk cleaners. this thread now needs to be defragmented from "corrupt" data. : )

Well from what I see the freeware side of defrag is kinda lite but kinda interesting:

Diskeeper Lite from Executive Software
    This high speed manual defragmenter is the first and only one of its kind, designed exclusively for Windows NT 4.0 (build 1381 or higher). It includes Fragmentation Analysis Utility, and works on NTFS and FAT partitions.
    http://www.webattack.com/get/dkeeperlite.shtml
    Originally posted by http://www.enterprisenetworkingmagazine.com/monthly/2002/12/tools.shtml+--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (http://www.enterprisenetworkingmagaz...12/tools.shtml)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>It contains.. defragmentation technology like the full version- but is designed for standalone machines.File fragmentation...To address this issue back in the 90s- Microsoft had Executive Software develop a stripped-down version of its Diskeeper .. for inclusion with Windows. If you are using Windows 2000 or later.. you have this tool under the name of Microsoft Disk Defragmenter (MDD) or Windows Disk Defragmenter.The release of MDD- in fact- signaled the end of Diskeeper Lite for almost two years.After over half a million downloads- Executive Software withdrew its freeware utility. User demand continued- however- and just recently an updated tool was finally released- once again as unrestricted freeware. Result: Since the relaunch- Diskeeper Lite racks 10.000 downloads per week- almost all of them from users who already have MDD...it performs the job three to five times as fast as the built-in utility- according to tests conducted by NSTL...Perhaps even more important..is the fact that NSTL found Diskeeper to do a significantly better job of defragging drives running Windows 2000 in the configurations that they tested.NSTL also found this to be the case in their more recent performance tests on Windows XP.[/b]

=======
    O&O Defrag 2000 - This freeware is optimized for Windows NT 4 Workstation and Server and also for Windows 2000 Professional, Server and Advanced Server. It is completely integrated into the Microsoft Management Console as a snap-in and may be used to replace the standard Windows 2000 defragmentation software. Functionality Partitions can be analyzed and manually defragmented with the SPACE defragmentation function.
    Ohh Yeeah Conspiracy & Freeware :) NEWS ALTERNATIVE: Diskeeper, Freeware for NT, integrated in Windows 2000, offers less features and is said to be Scientology related.

O&O Defrag 2000 Freeware Edition v.3.5 build 562 file PAGE last freeware version

Help & O&O Defrag 2000 Freeware Edition v3.0 here + Page Defrag v2.01[/b]

=======
    Contig is a single-file defragmenter that attempts to make files contiguous on disk. Its perfect for quickly optimizing files that are continuously becoming fragmented, or that you want to ensure are in as few fragments as possible.
    Originally posted by MLL-http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2003/2003-02-03.htm#5@
    Defrag "Tricks"
    If you ask the Win2K/XP&#39;s defragmenter run on a hard disk- it can&#39;t defrag things such as registry files in use- or the virtual memory file (pagefile.sys). So here&#39;s the first trick use Sysinternals&#39; free PageDefrag available at http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware...agedefrag.shtml that does the job- with one cool option it can automatically do it at every boot. I chose this- with no problem at all.

After Win2K/XP&#39; defragmenter runs (on GUI mode), if you click on the "display report" button- many times you can see that for some reasons (mostly available space I think) some non system files stay - sometimes very - fragmented. Trick #2 here you can use Sysinternals&#39; free Contig ( http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware...re/contig.shtml ). It&#39;s a command-line tool that instantly defrags any file you want (except the aforementioned).

But if the fragmented files are many, the task can be daunting. That&#39;s where trick #3 comes: choose to save the report file, and use the attached file (configReport.cmd). It takes the report file as argument- parses it and does a "contig" on every file it finds referenced. Feel free to improve it as you like.

Now- for a quick- everyday way of working- here&#39;s the 4th trick: when you choose to save the report from Win2K/XP&#39;s defragmenter- choose a filename with an unused extension (for instance VolumeG.txt.dfl or VolumeG.txt.defragreportfile). Then double-click this file, choose "Select the program in a list"- then "Browse..."- select contigReport.cmd- click OK. From now on- whenever you double-click any file like VolumeG.txt.defragreportfile (or whatever extension you chose)- an automatic defrag will be done on them. ) Enjoy- MLL
    ========
    Power Defrag is a system tool designed to optimize the performance of the Windows 9x Disk Defragmenter Applet.
    <!--QuoteBegin-- http://www.setiathomescreensaverspeed.co.u...defrag/lite.htm

Power Defrag 2.1 beta 2 is freeware and is found behind the &#39;Download Power Defrag 3.1&#39; link[/quote]Thanks for the clue guys ;) some help here to <<<<

Last freeware
    Power Defrag 2.10 beta 2 for users of Windows 98 and Windows ME.

Power Defrag 2.00 for users of Windows 95.

Super Moderator

GoSlow, I know your adding freeware versions which is always a good thing. But i already have a diskeeperlite version 7 in the listing.
    Talking about conspiracy, here&#39;s another for you.
    Defragmented filesystems is only an *issue* with the MS Windows family of operating systems. ALL other OS&#39;s do not suffer from filesystem fragmentation performance issues.
    And really even today fragmentation is not a serious issue with windows as it used to be. Thats not because Windows is better, its because the hardware has sped up so far that fragmentation does not hinder performance thanks to multi-Ghz processors and ATA133 controllers, and 533Mhz Front-Side Buses and everything else.

Edit: 1-5=
    Originally posted by Lisa Simpson
    schadenfreude

2/5

Super Moderator

That&#39;s good to know, will change post accordingly.
    I never tried it, as it requires one to have Active X enabled, and it also only defrags Windows filesystems.

3/5