Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Super Moderator

Originally posted by agoc+Nov 2 2003, 01:06 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (agoc @ Nov 2 2003, 01:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Thank you again furn.* Wow, with so many thanks to express, I could just edit a long post with only thanks in it. [/b]

your welcome

<!--QuoteBegin--agoc
    @Nov 2 2003, 01:06 AM
    So I understand I don&#39;t need any ftp dedicated software, just using a good search engine (a.k.a. Google) will do; then, Windows/IE can access an ftp site for browsing and downloading... In this case, why on earth are there so many ftp programs? What purpose do they serve? [/quote]

the ftp programs, FTP (File Transfer Protocol), are not for searching ftp sites, but for downloading from FTP sites. They serve a very good purpose that IE only semi supports. You can upload files to a ftp server with them. you sometimes need a username and password to access FTP sites, which you can assign easily in an FTP app. you execute commands against a site with ftp programs, for things such as creating/deleting folders & files, you can specify permissions, since UNIX servers use file permissions, such as OWNER, USER, GROUP, WORLD.
    Web browsers use HTTP (HyperText Transfer protocol) which handles HTML files (HyperText Markup Language), which was not designed for large file transferring, while FTP was.
    your more likely to get incomplete downloads and corrupt files using a web browser downloading files than with an FTP app.
    But today most people just get ftp programs for uploading to servers.

your computer already has a built in ftp program, it is a DOS CLI app, just go to the start/RUN, type FTP, and you will be presented with the ftp program. To learn more about the commands, just type a question mark, followed by an Enter, to see some of the built-in commands.

tips on searching;
    sometimes it is best to exclude any version numbers at first, and also the extensions, so if your searching for a program called "AOL-ims-4.6.444.5.exe", you might want to drop the ".exe" and slowly remove the version numbers, so now you might end up only doing a search for "AOL-ims".
    the first number "4" is usually a MAJOR number, and the smaller numbers are minor numbers, such as bug fixes or small glitches, so you can drop those off and do a search just on a major number "4", so now you might be searching for "AOL-ims-4"

also, rem when searching on google, you can use booleans, which is basically just `what i want to include` and `what i dont want to include` = "-" , " + "
    so you might so a search on AOL-ims such as

AOL-IMS -5 +4

say you want to search for a 2 word descriptor, say &#39;white&#39; and &#39;paint&#39;, you search google such as
    "white paint"
    else, you would be doing a search for white and for paint, so you might get results of `white soxs paint their stadium`

so by quoting a word you are defining an exact match for &#39;white paint&#39;
    say i dont want red paint, i would then do "white paint" -red

agoc

furn, thank you very much for the first lesson in ftp. I read it very carefuly. I hope many peeps -- members and guests -- find this post. I have to look deeper into this. I checked out the Windows&#39; ftp application, it has quite a syntax.
    also grateful for the search tips, I had this on my "to do" list, and still have it: to check out Google&#39;s Search Tips (upper right corner tab, you have to put your mouse on it) http://min.midco.net/w0hju/temp4/snickers.html

Super Moderator

Originally posted by agoc@Nov 2 2003, 06:18 AM
    I checked out the Windows&#39; ftp application, it has quite a syntax.
    also grateful for the search tips, I had this on my "to do" list, and still have it: to check out Google&#39;s Search Tips
    Rem also, that googles search tips, might differ from another search engines tips.
    yes the ftp app does have some short and quick syntax, but then so does all the DOS apps. its not something Windows only users will be comfy working with. nothing to click&#33;
    but it is there, and useful once you learn how to use it. and its not too difficult to learn.

i posted some more search engines in the GENERAL forum, you might want to give those a try as well.
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...t=ST&f=1&t=1470