Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Web Browsers

hey the dude, I finally got myie2 to show my site properly (myie2 off-topic forum, "mystery")
    anyway, myie2 is the best, everything else is junk!
    ah, those mouse gestires... no other browser has those!

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Guest+Jan 10 2004, 03:30 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Jan 10 2004, 03:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>hey the dude, I finally got myie2 to show my site properly (myie2 off-topic forum, "mystery")
    anyway, myie2 is the best, everything else is junk&#33;
    ah, those mouse gestires... no other browser has those&#33;[/b]

Mouse gestures are ok if you like being tethered to the mouse, its still much faster with accelerator keys.

Originally posted by Opera@ http://www.opera.com/products/user/index.d...latform=windows +--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Opera@ http://www.opera.com/products/user/index.d...latform=windows )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Mouse gestures
    Opera puts more power at your fingertips with smart and fast mouse gesture recognition[/b]
    Mouse gestures were first implemented in the Opera browser.
    Originally posted by -Fast Browser Pro@ http://www.fastbrowser.net/
    Fast Browser Pro Mouse gestures Command browser with small mouse movements easily
    As does Fast Browser Pro
    Originally posted by -Avant Browser@ http://www.avantbrowser.com/
    And there are two handy mouse gestures in Avant Browser.
    And Avant Browser
    Originally posted by -Modev@ http://optimoz.mozdev.org/gestures/index.html
    Mouse movements in combination with a click-hold and optionally a modifier that execute some browser functions.
    And so can Mozilla, Firebird, Galeon...
    Originally posted by - http://www.sharewarejunkies.com/03zwd2/netcaptor.htm
    In NetCaptor gestures are performed by depressing the right-alternate mouse button performing the action and then releasing the mouse button
    and so can Netcaptor
    <!--QuoteBegin--K-Meleon@ http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/index....d=MouseGestures
    @
    This new feature is enabled by default. It is as simple to use as right-clicking while sliding your mouse left or right.[/quote]K-Meleon offers it as well.

Seems many offer this feature, what alot do not have is.
    <!--QuoteBegin--Conversay Voice Surfer @ http://www.conversay.com/Products/Browsers/VS/

Conversay Voice Surfer is a fast easy hands- and eyes-free way to surf the Web. Whether you&#39;re using your PC at home the office or school voice browsing is more natural and convenient than point-and-click browsing.[/quote]

TheBulbasaurfreak

Use Mozilla Firebird if u are an experienced computer user, or Opera, but I don&#39;t like the banner ad. Is myie2 a good add on for IE?

Super Moderator

Originally posted by TheBulbasaurfreak@Jan 10 2004, 12:29 PM
    but I don&#39;t like the banner ad.
    Opera is a good browser, but not free, To remove the banner ad, you can pay for it to have it removed.
    Better to use Firebird

here are a couple more web browsers to try out
    • SlimBrowser FREE, is a tabbed multiple-site browser. It incorporates a large collection of powerful features like built-in popup killer, skinned window frame, form filler, site group, quick-search, auto login, hidden sites, built-in commands and scripting, online translation, script error suppression, blacklist / whitelist filtering, URL Alias.
    • Act10 FREE and SMALL just 817kb, a compact and fast ON-LINE WWW-Browser, it has a built-in un-ZIP capability for downloaded software.
    • Fast Browser Pro is an innovative Web Browser, can open up to 180 homepages at the same time. Built in pop-up killer, mouse gestures, ability to read web pages to you.
    • MyInternet is a Web Browser, with powerful mouse gestures and multi-window viewing.
    • Avant Browser FREE, stable, easy-to-use, versatile tabbed browser.
    • Netcaptor Shareware, requires that IE is installed
    • Emacs-W3 is a full-featured web browser, written entirely in Emacs-Lisp
    • FREE, HotJava Sun&#39;s HotJava Browser 3.0 provides a highly-customizable modular solution for creating and deploying Web-enabled applications across a wide array of environments and devices.
    • NeoPlanet Browser
    • 1X SHAREWARE, is a compact, fast, easy-to-use web browser (no spyware), with a range of features not available in other web browsers.
    • Turbo Browser SHAREWARE
    • AmiWeb SHAREWARE, is a completely enclosed work/play environment that does not allow your children to go to unapproved places on the Internet without your permission.
    • Off By One Web Browser FREE, Small, 1meg in size. NEW PNG support. no dependencies on any other browser or browser component.
    • Crazy Browser FREE, It has the ability to open multiple sites and windows inside a single browser task. It also has a Smart Popup Filter - it blocks all the annoying popups automatically&#33;
    • MiniBrowser
    • 404browserFREE (500kbs) is a unique web browser for the people who wish to surf the Internet to the fullest extent. It is built with productivity, speed, and security in mind. Some of the features include a note pad, for jotting down notes; agents that learn from you; pop-up and ad blocking; instant access to weather, quotes, and definitions; privacy protection, and efficient bookmark management.
    • Beonex FREE, a full-featured web-browser and email/news client targeted at end-users - both individuals at home and companies of all sizes.

other platforms browsers
    • Dillo *nix
      Dillo is small: source is less than 400 KB, and the binary is around 350 KB&#33; Dillo is mainly based on GTK+ (GNOME is NOT required&#33. Current code uses an improved html-parser (it was based on gzilla&#39;s), and almost everything else was rewritten from scratch&#33;.
    • Epiphany, The web browser for the GNOME Desktop
    • Macweb good for older Mac&#39;s
    • OmniWeb Mac OS X Browser unlimited, free trial.

Text-Only Web Browsers
    • Elinks
      is an advanced and well-established feature-rich text mode web (HTTP/FTP/..) browser. ELinks can render both frames and tables, is highly customizable
    • WizLynx Text mode Web browser for DOS Computers
    • libwww It is a character based Web browser developed for use on terminals.
    • Links
      is a text WWW browser with tables. Runs on Unix and OS/2.
    • Lynx
      is a text browser for the World Wide Web. Lynx 2.8.3 runs on Un*x, VMS, Windows 95/98/NT but not 3.1 or 3.11, on DOS (386 or higher) and OS/2 EMX.

Originally posted by guest_tom+Nov 27 2003, 08:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (guest_tom @ Nov 27 2003, 08:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -Guest@Nov 25 2003, 12:48 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Trewy
    @Nov 24 2003, 10:51 AM
    i jini very small web browser&#33; 66kb&#33; supports tabbed browsing also.
    http://www.ijini.batcave.net/
    dats crazy&#33;

Ijini took a bit more space to install on my old win95 computer. Had to install 526kb mscomctl.ocx and 50kb msstdfmt.dll. No documentation, but believe it is probably dependent on IE files being available. I&#39;ve got an old version of win95 (pre95a)that didnt come with any version of IE. Not worth the effort to try this with it. Thats true test of whether its IE dependent or not.
    I use Off By One on my old laptop with the first version of Win 95 - there is no dependency on IE (well it&#39;s not even installed&#33 and it is pretty stable. [/b][/quote]
    Browser depend on Shdocvw.dll that again depend on MSHTML.dll. In other words: IE &#33;

Some files this "small" browser need :
    Shdocvw.dll 1,3mb
    MSHTML.dll 2.8mb
    msvbvm60.dll 1,3mb
    :P

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Guest@Feb 10 2004, 06:28 PM
    Browser depend on Shdocvw.dll that again depend on MSHTML.dll. In other words: IE &#33;

Shdocvw.dll 1,3mb
    MSHTML.dll 2.8mb
    msvbvm60.dll 1,3mb

If you are going to the foundation of things. And say that browser depends on 5megs of IE files, lets say, all browsers depend on the OS, so why not add the size of the OS to the total as well.
    Any web browser that runs on Win95, would be dependant on 125megs+ of additional OS files. any browser on Win98 would depend on the 250megs+ of additional OS files. and so on.
    As these web browsers can not yet run by themselves, so they are dependant on the underlying OS.
    Since IE is already installed on all Windows Systems. Unless purposely removed, it is a waste of time to point out what they are dependant on.
    What matters to most would be the size of the program when they go to download it.

The only webbrowser & OS that beats them all would most likely be the QNX DEMO disk, which has a desktop, graphical web browser, and everything; (the operating system & web browser, PPP, video drivers....) fits on a single 1.4meg floppy.

Originally posted by locustfurnace+Feb 10 2004, 06:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (locustfurnace @ Feb 10 2004, 06:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Guest@Feb 10 2004, 06:28 PM

Shdocvw.dll 1,3mb
    MSHTML.dll 2.8mb
    msvbvm60.dll 1,3mb

If you are going to the foundation of things. And say that browser depends on 5megs of IE files, lets say, all browsers depend on the OS, so why not add the size of the OS to the total as well.
    Any web browser that runs on Win95, would be dependant on 125megs+ of additional OS files. any browser on Win98 would depend on the 250megs+ of additional OS files. and so on.
    As these web browsers can not yet run by themselves, so they are dependant on the underlying OS.
    Since IE is already installed on all Windows Systems. Unless purposely removed, it is a waste of time to point out what they are dependant on.
    What matters to most would be the size of the program when they go to download it.

The only webbrowser & OS that beats them all would most likely be the QNX DEMO disk, which has a desktop, graphical web browser, and everything; (the operating system & web browser, PPP, video drivers....) fits on a single 1.4meg floppy. [/b][/quote]
    It was just to state that this browser is just an IE wrapper.

Avant Browser has all of the funtions that you requested. I like it very much.

guest_Tom

Originally posted by Guest+Feb 10 2004, 06:28 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Feb 10 2004, 06:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
    Originally posted by -guest_tom@Nov 27 2003, 08:09 PM
    Originally posted by -Guest@Nov 25 2003, 12:48 AM
    <!--QuoteBegin--Trewy
    @Nov 24 2003, 10:51 AM
    i jini very small web browser&#33; 66kb&#33; supports tabbed browsing also.
    http://www.ijini.batcave.net/
    dats crazy&#33;

Ijini took a bit more space to install on my old win95 computer. Had to install 526kb mscomctl.ocx and 50kb msstdfmt.dll. No documentation, but believe it is probably dependent on IE files being available. I&#39;ve got an old version of win95 (pre95a)that didnt come with any version of IE. Not worth the effort to try this with it. Thats true test of whether its IE dependent or not.

I use Off By One on my old laptop with the first version of Win 95 - there is no dependency on IE (well it&#39;s not even installed&#33 and it is pretty stable.

Shdocvw.dll 1,3mb
    MSHTML.dll 2.8mb
    msvbvm60.dll 1,3mb
    :P [/b][/quote]
    Well this was the first version of Windowes 95 fitted on this laptop whcih does not come with IE. I upgraded it from Win 3.11 which had no browser installed. So where did the files come from?

guest_Tom

Shit my spelling is getting bad&#33; I presume the files were part of windows 95. Anyone tried the new opera 7.5 beta yet? Even the ads are not obtrusive with this version for non-registered users. Pretty fast too. Giving Firefox a run for it&#39;s, erm, money on my machine at present&#33;