Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Web Browsers

Rufusdam

Have read all the posts. Unfortunately, i'm not a certified computer pro (wouldn't have minded being a geek) so can you please tell me the fastest web browser. Adding the details of my pc if it helps.

CPU - AMD athlon 2200xp+ (I think the clock speed is 1.7Gh)
    RAM - 128MB NVRAM (32 MB of this is used by the graphics on board)

Thanks,

Rufusdam

Forgot to say that my OS is Windows 98 SE and that my present browser is IE6.

Super Moderator

The only way you can determine what the fastest, would be for what you use it for. As I stated Lynx would be the fastest of any webrowser since it does not load graphics, but if You want graphics, it's speed does not much matter for you.
    Test a few out yourself. Between the fastest web browsers, there is not much difference, the difference would only be measureable on a graphed scale and most likely, not visible to your eyes.
    Try Firefox, Opera, Slimbrowser, Mozilla
    I've already made a listing in this post; http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...&st=0#entry6229, so check those out and try a few.
    I used to use Firebird, now named Firefox, which is fast, but some of the features I did not like, So now I run Slimbrowser under Windows.

Remember also, that no matter how fast a web browser is, it's speed means nothing if your on a super slow connection.

BunkFace

In reply to post no. 1:

I highly recommend Opera (http://www.opera.com). It's the fastest browser I've ever tried. Pop-up ad blocking, Google search, very stable, tabbed browsing, doesn't eat too much-resources, ass-kicking browser, I've tried them all, IE, Netscape, Firefox, MyIE2, and Opera is still the best.

chester_ting

The Dude is right!!

MyIE2 is the best!!!!

http://www.myie2.com/html_en/home.htm

Its free and has the best features!

paragonoftrack

you want the best of the best eh? well then slimbrowser is the way to go ive tried all the browsers mentioned and i have to say that slimbrowser rocks my world i wub it so much just download it you wont use another browser ever !!!

http://www.flashpeak.com/sbrowser/

Super Moderator

Originally posted by paragonoftrack@Jul 8 2004, 12:30 AM
    you want the best of the best eh? well then slimbrowser is the way to go ive tried all the browsers mentioned and i have to say that slimbrowser rocks my world i wub it so much just download it you wont use another browser ever !!!

http://www.flashpeak.com/sbrowser/
    I've already posted recommendations for Slimbrowser. It's constantly bug fixed, almost daily.
    But, it only has 1 advantage so far over Konqueror, the double click to close the tabs.
    Konqueror still beats out all others by a long shot, with the IO:Slaves when used as a file manager. Nothing else comes close (maybe Nautilus?). Try running your Cd Recording software from within your web browser, Konqueror does this! IO:Slaves that auto generate HTML image galleries. File Renaming IO:slave, the ability to play any media, mp3, oggs, mpegs... Built-in Support for CVS. Built-in HTML, CSS validators..
    Slimbrowser is catching up. But Konqueror is not standing still either.

Punk-In-General

MyIE2 is now Maxthon! And it is the best!!!!

A new build is avaliable nearly every month and it rocks! No other bowser like this!!!

Long live Maxthon!!!! (MyIE2)

http://www.maxthon.com/en/index.htm

Version 1.0.0168 is the latest!

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Punk-In-General@Jul 8 2004, 03:08 AM
    MyIE2 is now Maxthon! And it is the best!!!!

A new build is avaliable nearly every month and it rocks! No other bowser like this!!!
    Your link does not appear to work.
    You dont read entire threads do you?
    If you did, you have read that MyIE2 is using the developement toolkit from Slimbrowser. Just as FireFox is using Mozilla... This then nulls the statement that no other browser is like this, cause there are a few who use the Slimbrowser SDK.
    I'll repeated my statement, if you have never used Konqueror, then you can't claim another browser to be better of the lot.
    Galeon was a good browser once, but they removed some of the good functions and changed some of the basic commands which seems to no longer work, such as Ctrl+U to erase the address bar.
    An Lynx & Links are still the fastest.

Punk-In-General

Jeez man,

Its not like im going to download and test every browser out there and come back to you on it. Its just my personal opinion, i think its the best, because it is (my opinion) You dont have to correct everyone.

and sorry about the link, it works on mine.

You dont read entire threads do you?
    Im sorry i didnt know you had to read every comment to get an opinion

If you did, you have read that MyIE2 is using the developement toolkit from Slimbrowser.
    I dont even know what slimbrowser is.