Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    ozzy

Hey guys, I'm curious: What file sharing program is best? I used to use Kazaa, but then my computer crashed. I tried redownloading it, but it wouldn't install. So I downloaded Morpheus. It's pretty good, but it's slow. Then my friend told me about this site. So what's the best program to use?
    - Kazaa
    - Morpheus
    - LimeWire
    - etc.
    Please reply. I'm probably going to go with Kazaa Lite, because there's no spyware.

Super Moderator

you might also want to check into these lesser known ones
    • Qnext
      is a secure P2P communications suite that currently offers Universal Instant Messaging (Qnext, MSN, AIM, Yahoo, ICQ), Video Conferencing, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), File Transfer, File Sharing, Group Text Chat, Online Game, Advanced Photo Sharing, and Remote PC Access.
    • Gnucleus
      was the beginning of a few open-source Gnutella related projects (GWebCache, GnucDNA, GnucNS). Gnucleus itself is a Windows application for accessing the Gnutella and G2 networks.
      One of the first released after the introduction of Gnutella in 2000 by Nullsoft. It is also the first client to fully support the G2 network, the future of open protocol P2P
    • Easter
      Sick of all those Napster clones who promise the world and then fail miserably because you're behind a firewall? Enter the brave new world of Easter, operating on the Ultimate point-to-point protocol, email. Easter was developed to fill a niche for 90% of people who want to share from behind their company intranet.
      If you're worried about using your email address, simply join any of the free web email services which provide POP access, and use this account for your Easter connection. It also is a nice way to remain anonymous! No IP addresses etc to be traced.
      It's free, no Kazaa pop-ups, no hidden tracking software, no irritating "Upgrade now" dialogs.
      In the words of the great Mandela, "Written for the people, by the people."
    • MLdonkey
      MLdonkey is a multi-platform multi-networks peer-to-peer client. Originally, it was the first open-source client to access the eDonkey network . Currently, with eDonkey , it supports several large networks, such as Overnet , Bittorrent , Gnutella (Bearshare, Limewire,etc), Gnutella2 (Shareaza), Fasttrack (Kazaa, Imesh, Grobster), Soulseek (beta), Direct-Connect (alpha), and Opennap (alpha). Networks can be enabled/disabled, searches are performed in parallel on all enabled networks, but each file is only downloaded from one network (wait for next release &#33, but from multiple clients concurrently.
      Grokster
    • Shareaza FREE and No Spyware.
    • Neo-Mobius Tired of other file-sharing communities such as Napster, Gnutella, and Scour? Tired of Napster Clones in general? Looking for something new? Get ready to change the way you think about peer-to-peer file-sharing. NeoModus®' Direct Connect™ offers a complete set of tools to locate any type of media.
    • eMule is a new filesharing client which is based on the eDonkey2000 network, but offers more features than the standard eDonkey client, because it's opensource but under the restrictions of the GPL License.
    • eMule Plus is a new generation eMule compatible client created to improve the original GUI
    • Blubster is designed to make the P2P experience uncomplicated for anyone.
    • BitTorrent official BitTorrent web site
    • Azureus offers multiple torrent downloads, queuing/priority systems (on torrents and files), start/stop seeding options and instant access to numerous pieces of information about your torrents.
    • File Spree It offers tons of features, including a very secure encryption, a blazing fast UDP protocol, and a superior transfer protocol all on a decentralized network.
    • BT++ (bee tee plus plus) is an improved client for the BitTorrent peer-to-peer file distribution solution
    • Ares Ares is a peer-to-peer program to search and download files of any type.
    • Azureus is a java bittorrent client. offers multiple torrent downloads, queuing/priority systems (on torrents and files), start/stop seeding options and instant access to numerous pieces of information about your torrents
    • TheSHAD0W's EXPERIMENTAL BITTORRENT CLIENT Free
    • Burst! FREE, A Bit Torrent Client

and some other which use the Opennap servers
    • XNap provides a plugin enabled framework for peer-to-peer (P2P) applications and a client which is based on that framework.
    • OpenNap: Open Source Napster Server extends the Napster protocol to allow sharing of any media type, and the ability to link servers together.
    • OpenNap-NG
    • giFT-OpenNap is a giFT plugin for OpenNap, i.e. with this plugin, you will be able to acess the various OpenNap networks.
    • Shuban is a Napster-like client which connects to OpenNap servers.
    • jNapsterA set of Java classes for connecting to a Napster Music Server to carry out tasks such as login to a Napster Server, find a song based on a keyword, download a song, get the listing of a specified user's song library
    • Ares is a peer to peer file sharing program that enables users to share any digital file including images, audio, video, software, documents, etc. You may now easily publish your files through the Ares Network.
    • Napster Fast Search (NFS) is the fastest Napster Search and Download Tool. NFS is a standalone Napster Client. You don't need the offical Napster Client to use it.

Some possible alternatives for the Mac User.
    • Acquisition (SHAREWARE)
    • 2get
      2get is an opennap client supporting basic opennap features such as multiple server connection, WinMX queueing, download resumption, and client-to-client direct browsing. 2get Lite is a light weight version for Mac OS 8/9 users.
    • drumbeat
    • Myster
    • XNap
    • Poisoned

John Keymer

One other thing you may want to check out:

Soulseek.

Soulseek is another P2P program that allows you to do more of the same that KaZaA and friends do, but I find the organizational and community bonuses very worthwhile.

For one, you're able to browse other users files very easily. While browsing, if you want to download an album, all you need to do is right-click on a folder and download it. The music hits your transfer list and at the end of the day the folder and it's contained files are on your hard drive, making downloading albums and sets of items a breeze to do and a breeze to catalog.

The buddy list features are sweet as well, allowing you to reward users who share with you and ban those who try to leech.

The community of people using soulseek spans the entire world, and there are serious, serious music geeks on there to cater to even the most whimsical music tastes. On a good day I can find Noam Chomsky AudioBooks, Entire Seasons of Saved By the Bell, and 50's Doo Wop that never made it past an LP - and all of it at a decent speed and with little or no fuss.

As a footnote, the program began based on an IDM and Downtempo techno newslist, and a large chunk of the user base of soulseek is for Techno lovers. If you're into the beats, don't sleep on Soulseek.

http://www.slsknet.org/

aem4162

soulseek is excellent...it works better than the others imo

gladmans

two words:

bit torrent!!! Do a search for the downloadable app

then go to www.suprnova.org. to download at will.

It is insanely good

Nikkie

Shareaza and kazaa lite

shareaza handles gnutella 1 and 2 , edonkey and bittorent files , with sharelive.com it kicks complete booty ...

kazaa lite is and should always be downloaded instead of plain kazaa which has loads of spyware and junk added ...

jeremy

I use bearshare it is at www.bearshare.com be aware that it comes bundled with another program I use it cause it is easy to use

Ge808

does anyone have a key gen for musicmatch box that works 8.0

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Ge808@Dec 29 2003, 03:26 PM
    does anyone have a key gen for musicmatch box that works 8.0
    Thats offtopic by the way!
    This is a shareware & Freeware site, not a warez site.
    if you like the software, purchase it.
    Else find something in the freeware section if you cant/won't pay for the software.

Wonder why I have not seen IMesh mentioned. It is faster than KazaA, for me, and has a very good selection in music. It also does not burn me up with pop-ups. I started using this about a week ago, when KazaA was causing system glitches for me.