Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: RoboForm

Default RoboForm

I just installed a newer version of roboform but it told me my free trial has expired. Why is this because I never used this version before. Don't you get a free trial everytime you download a new version that you never tried before? I uninstalled my previous version before I installed the new version so why am I not getting a free trail with this newer version? Is the new version detecting something on my computer that is blocking a free trial?

Jim

Although softwares are different many will detect entries from previously installed versions either in the registry or other hidden files which are not removed during a normal uninstall routine, so no you may not get a new trial time even if you didn't use the previous version for the full trial period,sometimes you can find those hidden entries and remove them though it is not normally easy.
    Trials are not there to provide you with softwre that has a life span of "30 days" but to encourage you to by a product if you like it, the product does not generally change fundamentally in nature between versions so if you liked one version the next would be presumbly suitable, not withstanding <oldversion.com>
    A far better approach would be to look for alternative freeware softwares that dont have those problems and may even do a better job with less resources.
    I think there is a free uncrippled version of roboform in the forum though I havn't checked if it installs over later versions.

Administrator

goslow is absolutely right on the money there,it can be done but if you dont know exactly what your doing you really can and most likely would screw up your pc by messing with the registry.
    heres tyhe older thread that goslow was refering to http://www.oldversion.com/talk/showt...light=roboform
    Last edited by the gaffer; 01-14-2008 at 08:27 AM.
    simply me

Default Was Yours A Purchased or Trial Copy

Quote Originally Posted by jimb11 View Post
    I just installed a newer version of roboform but it told me my free trial has expired. Why is this because I never used this version before. Don't you get a free trial every time you download a new version that you never tried before? I uninstalled my previous version before I installed the new version so why am I not getting a free trail with this newer version? Is the new version detecting something on my computer that is blocking a free trial?

Jim
    Are you saying you installed a newer version of a PURCHASED copy?

If so, I too have received that message. Coincidentally just yesterday.

I have been using Roboform for about 18 months [bought both the desktop and "to go" versions]. And I updated the "to go" copy that I use, about a month ago as I recall.

But for some reason on reboot of my PC yesterday, I got the trial expired message.

What I did was click the "activate" icon, or whatever the choices were on the expiration pop up message. That took me to RoboForm where it asks for one's order number and e-mail address, or name, etc. I entered my order number and RoboForm activated the program.

Although I backup RoboForm data almost daily, when I activated the program [re-activated is the better word] I did NOT lose any of my data nor even my "recently used" log in information.

Seems to me that is a bug in the program, which RoboForm will fix.

For the conspiracy theorists, it could be RoboForm's way of checking on people, to be sure they are not using a copy installed by friends, to where when asking for the activation information, one might not have it. I could see where a developer/seller might do this and not tell us about it, so to surprise us with the request.

But if that is what they are doing, it is annoying because I had to fret over what to do. I did not know if I would be losing all my data, I had to check to be sure that my data had not disappeared and otherwise spend about 15 minutes checking on things [I have about 400 log ins and safe notes, so losing that data would be a bad thing, very bad. Especially since starting to use RoboForm I no longer memorize passwords and user names. I also use it as a form of "Favorites" to take me to sites I belong to. So critical I have the info backed up on my server, a thumb drive and two places on my desktop. All encrypted, of course.
    Last edited by MichaelSF; 01-15-2008 at 03:16 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by m1t0s1s View Post
    This doesn't solve your problem, but keepass password safe is free, secure and open source.
    and also archived at oldversion.com http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=keepass
    simply me