Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

any?

if someone has it email me it at sfouad@telus.net

Super Moderator

Sharing MS-DOS is illegal. it is a retail product, if you want it, buy it. If you see any computer shows in town, go to them, you might be able to get it very cheap. else you can try ebay.com

you can use just about any version of DOS with Win 3.1, i usually use MS DOS 5.0 or PC-DOS 5 with Win 3.1.

now, if you must have DOS, there happens to be a FREE DOS, which happens to be called FREEDOS. 100% FREE, you can download it from their website

[list][*]FREEDOS FREE
    http://freedos.org/[*]FreeDOS32 32bit kernel for FREEDOS
    http://freedos-32.sourceforge.net/[*]MOE-DOS
    http://www.moedos.com/download.htm[*]NEO-DOS is the name of free public domain MS-DOS compatible operating system written in pascal and assembler
    http://neons.times.lv/neodos/[*]RMF-DOS(Reduced Memory Footprint DOS) is a project to create a compact, 8086-compatible, free clone of MS-DOS.
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/rmfdos/[*]DR-DOS 7.03 $29.99
    http://www.drdos.com/products.html#01[*]PTS-DOS 32 $19.95
    http://www.phystechsoft.com/en/download.html[*]IBM PC DOS $50.00
    http://www-3.ibm.com/software/os/dos/

CALM

Why do people still use DOS? (I am not trying to be smart) Just wonder what applications it is for. What kind of computers is it used on? (new? old?) Are there any uses on a new machine? I never learned DOS but I know of its beginnings. Just find it interesting that people still use it (although I do have a 1987Mazda that I wont part with ) And come to think of it there is an old TimexT100 around here somewhere!
    Thanks
    Chris B)

Super Moderator

Originally posted by CALM@Nov 23 2003, 09:21 PM
    And come to think of it there is an old TimexT100 around here somewhere!
    very cool. never owned one of those, I do have alot of old machines, such as the TI99-A, AppleIIc.
    I presently use DOS. DOS is stable. DOS does not crash. whenever i need to delete ALOT of files at one time, use a DOS command to do so. Since every time i use Windoiws to delete alot of files (over 1,000+) it will freeze once it finished deleting. So i use DOS to do it, and it deletes it faster than windows. When Windows boots up, the autoexec.bat, a DOS batch file, is executed and i have it set to delete my swap file, index.dat, sets the PATH variable, and removes all the cookies.
    when i run Partition Magic, a commerical software title. and need to change a partition, the program will reboot to DOS, to run the command.
    Whenever i reformat a drive, i use the DOS command format, also to partition the disk, i also use FDISK, another DOS tool.
    I find formatting floppys to be much faster under DOS.

I have built a music jukebox, from a thinclient machine, its a computer the size of a dictionary book, very tiny, it has no fans, no floppys, no hard drives, no cdroms. the Operating System (QNX4) is embedded ontop a chip.
    So i wired in a IDE connector and tapped the board for a power supply. then i mounted a CD-ROM drive onto the box.
    on the CD-ROM, i built a custom system on it. the CD operates as the C: drive, and the d: drive, and also the boot disk.
    So the cd boots up the whole system, with my custom built DOS OS, which servers as a "C:" drive, then once the system boots up, it then switches from the boot disk to the now "D:" drive, scans the system for music (all on the CD ROM), and plays music. the music player is a DOS player, which handles the music formats, AAC, MPC, AC3, OGG, WAV, and mp3.
    all this is handled on the CD-ROm, and the OS i built onto the CD rom happens to be DOS. So DOS has alot of good useable qualities today.

my neighbour had an extremely old laptop, a 286 with a blazing fast ; ) 8mhz proccessor. I took that machine, turned it into a Car Engine Anaylzer for drag racing. and built an interactive menu system, since he did not know how to navigate through DOS. So after setting up the many engine system apps ont it, i had to built a way fro him to use the apps. so i built a whole bunch of menus, which all he had to do was press a number to load that app. i even stuck a few games on it, AND, i stuck an email cleint and web browser on it. i think the system ended up having around 100 applications all on its tiny 20meg Hard drive.
    the OS of choice - PC DOS 5.0, all the applications were for DOS.the interactive menu system, was all DOS scripts written with a text editor.

when i built a machine just for editing, as a very reliable editor, i use a DOS OS, and the Full Screen editor -"EDIT".
    I have had people who used fancy word processors, only to lose the text. when either the app hit a bug, or windows decided to crash.
    So they now just write their books under DOS. and never had a problem.
    you can run the DOS editor also. it should be installed on your system. Just go to the Start/RUN and type edit.

I also have a Networking DOS systems. so i can network with it.
    whenever i do music encoding i use a CLI (Command Line interface), run from a DOS prompt, to do the encoding. since commands are much easier to select.

my *BSD system, has no GUI (Graphic User Interface), which makes it look like the DOS world. but i run the system for a Firewall, router, SSL server, SSH server, email server, NFS.
    i interact with every service (program) from the command line. no mouse clicking on the box. this allows me to log in from any computer anywhere to reset the server, or to make changes to the server. i also have a web browser, [b]Lynx{/b]. I can burn cds also on the box. just write out a few simple commands and the cd gets recorded.

CALM

Originally posted by CALM@Nov 23 2003, 07:21 PM
    ..... Just wonder what applications it is for. .....
    WOW! Lots of uses I see.
    I do know there is DOS on the W98 computer with the DOS prompt and all. But I have used that only a few times. ohwell
    Thanks again for all the info! h34r:
    Chris

Super Moderator

welcome.
    yes, so with Win98, you get the power of DOS, since Windows, first started out as a shell which sat ontop of DOS. and was just a menu system to allow easier access to the commands.
    when you system crashed, you can boot into DOS to help repair things.
    such as making a backup of the registry, which can only be restored via DOS. if you want to compact your registry, you do this via DOS.
    i just posted in another thread, a DOS WWW browser.
    when you need to check on your network, you can use DOS to see what your ip address or the connections established. there is even DOS CD R tools.

defragthis

i downloaded dos 6.22 from microsoft (released for free) , but i'm afraid this info may not help you because i'm not sure it will work with win3x. at the end 6.22 may be incompatable if it's not 16 bit. i had to use search on microsofts site to find it and it's illegal to down it from anywhere else i think!

Super Moderator

Originally posted by defragthis@Nov 27 2003, 03:51 AM
    i downloaded dos 6.22 from microsoft (released for free) , but i'm afraid this info may not help you because i'm not sure it will work with win3x. at the end 6.22 may be incompatable if it's not 16 bit. i had to use search on microsofts site to find it and it's illegal to down it from anywhere else i think!
    was it the bootdisk? or the whole OS? all DOS is 16bit, unless you try the FreeDOS 32bit kernel. or another 32bit Kernel from another developer. not sure of any others.
    It is illegal to obtain MS-DOS from anyone else that is not a resaler, MS themselves. Alot of the times you can get the bootdisk but thats not what this person wants, i believe, i think they want the whole OS. which FREEDOS will do just fine for a replacement, plus it is free and currently one of the only DOS's still be developed

defragthis

complete 4 disk op but i can't get it there now. site indicates microsoft no longer supports this product.
    a shame, and a bigger shame i cannot locate the cd i put it on. but i did find my origanal nonfunctioning 6.22 floppies.
    the reason i downloaded it in the first place. and that gives me right to own a backup copy so i'm going to go redownload it now from anywhere right now.