Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Super Moderator

Originally posted by CALM@Dec 3 2003, 10:38 PM
    yea, i could have saved alot of money if I had had Netscape 7.1, a new hardware modem and a new monitor on the W98 computer. Sure wouldnt have gotten a new computer and I am probably gonna end up buying the modem and monitor anyway. XP home is ok, but nothing special as I dont do DVD, video or fancy games. I seem to prefer old programs like installed Adobe photo deluxe 3 and went BACK to 2.
    then HAD to get new scanner and new software sucks. new is certainly not better, IMO
    (has ANYONE ever gotten their rebate from Hewlett Packard??!!?? BIG RIPOFF unresponsive COMPANY&#33
    Never buy anything based on the savings you "will" get via rebates, as no company must honor the rebates. Rebates get you in the store. you spend the money. they; 50% of the time do honor and 50% never.
    You could always stick win98 on that XP box ya got. ofcourse, you will have to track down the Win-Drivers for all them devices.
    Tip, if ya buy a new modem, get an external modem. you get the lights, can reset the modem if things go wacky, plus it has its own controller chip, so it works more stable then using a HCL, which is host controlled - meaning; controlled via software via MS Windows.
    The external modems do not rely on software, so they can actually perform better. they can cost about the same as a good internal modem, for an external and internal, depending on the price. dont buy dirt-cheap modems. like those $15 special ones. cause they are not special.

CALM

Hi.
    yea, I found about about rebates. Have always received them in the past (my battery backup cost $10) but bought new computer from HP online and got screwed. ohwell. NEVER ANOTHER HP anyway.
    Ive always bougtht cheapo modems (lightning keeps eating them even with surge protector&#33but will get an external one. Any suggestions of any brand to avoid?
    I do have the W98-2 disc but wonder if it would act screwey if I added it to XP?
    :blink:

Super Moderator

Originally posted by CALM@Dec 4 2003, 03:31 PM
    Hi.
    yea, I found about about rebates. Have always received them in the past (my battery backup cost $10) but bought new computer from HP online and got screwed. ohwell. NEVER ANOTHER HP anyway.
    Ive always bougtht cheapo modems (lightning keeps eating them even with surge protector&#33but will get an external one. Any suggestions of any brand to avoid?
    I do have the W98-2 disc but wonder if it would act screwey if I added it to XP?
    :blink:
    make sure the surge protector also permits the protecting of phone lines. Since lightning can also strike through the phone cords, not just via AC lines. Look for a joule rating on the surge protectors as well. Again, those surge protectors should be costing a couple dollars, last one i bought was $70, came with a 40k warranty also.
    Most externals are fine, just look on the make and ty to stay away from anything defined as a Win-modem, but most externals should work with any OS. as my last Zoom External also worked on my Apple Mac.
    You can install win98 inplace of the XP. totally remove the XP. or partition Hard Drive, and dual boot between em. Virtual PC permits the running of different OS's inside a host OS. which means you can have Windows XP hosting Windows98, and be able to run them BOTH at the same exact time.
    Virtual PC is not cheap, but they usually have a shareware version, and there is links for older versions posted in the past posts.

defragthis

ya i got the box the disks the book and even the plastic sheaths the disks came in, and the registration card i never sent in too. i found 6.22 in a church store for three dollars new wrapped in all it's original ms glory. you are right they should look around there are still new copies floating around cheap.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by defragthis@Dec 8 2003, 02:29 AM
    you are right they should look around there are still new copies floating around cheap.
    The only problem i can see with buying older floppy versions of the software might be that the floppys, being so old, may have gone bad.
    The best thing would be to just use the FREEDOS, which is still being developed today, and is FREE.

Myself

Originally posted by defragthis@Nov 27 2003, 04:12 AM
    complete 4 disk op but i can't get it there now. site indicates microsoft no longer supports this product.
    a shame, and a bigger shame i cannot locate the cd i put it on. but i did find my origanal nonfunctioning 6.22 floppies.
    the reason i downloaded it in the first place. and that gives me right to own a backup copy so i'm going to go redownload it now from anywhere right now.
    Well, it's good that you found your original disks. I can't believe that Microsoft put all four disks (three are install, the last is the supplemental) on their site for free download. I've seen them putting out a very basic boot disk for DOS 6.22 on their site (gone now, too). I wonder why they decided to put the complete set on. :blink:

Originally posted by locustfurnace@Dec 4 2003, 01:28 AM
    ofcourse, you will have to track down the Win-Drivers for all them devices.
    If you are seeking the Win Drivers try

www.driverguide.com

They are a great site to find all kinds of drivers and signing up is FREE!

I find about 98% of the drivers I've needed there.

Release Candiate 2

Originally posted by defragthis@Nov 27 2003, 02:51 AM
    i downloaded dos 6.22 from microsoft (released for free) , but i'm afraid this info may not help you because i'm not sure it will work with win3x.
    My first 486 back in 1995 shipped with Dos 6.22 and Win 3.1

Super Moderator

Originally posted by djrich@Feb 8 2004, 12:58 PM
    My first 486 back in 1995 shipped with Dos 6.22 and Win 3.1
    Was that a used system?? in '95 I was running on an Intel Pentium (586) 133Mhz system with Windows95, with a extra 8megs RAM (paid extra $600 for it too), for a grand total of 16megs RAM. Massive 2.1Gig HD. Had a Matrox Millenium Video card with 2megs dual-ported WRAM, still got the card today but uppded it to 8megs WRAM and it works well still, infact i bought a dozen of those cards from a comp show. Too bad the WRAM was too expensive to produce, as Matrox later switched to SGRAM I believe.