Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Originally posted by defragthis@Nov 27 2003, 05:12 AM
    complete 4 disk op but i can't get it there now. site indicates microsoft no longer supports this product.
    a shame, and a bigger shame i cannot locate the cd i put it on. but i did find my origanal nonfunctioning 6.22 floppies.
    the reason i downloaded it in the first place. and that gives me right to own a backup copy so i'm going to go redownload it now from anywhere right now.
    LOL, getting something for free does not give you a right to the product for free again, unless you got a license with the first copy. without a license you don't have a right to a backup copy either.

Muddawg

lol as if i care if MS gets ripped? the Only legitamate copy of dos I own is 4.0 The non legitamate copies are as follows DOS 6.22, Windows 3.11,(floppies) 95, 98, ME, XP!(burned)! yup i love to rip microsoft off!! plus they are useful for getting old computers to work! So give me a break and don't track my IP :P
    And Screw MS Dos! Amiga is where it is at!

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Muddawg@Nov 30 2003, 07:18 AM
    So give me a break and don't track my IP :P
    as with any website you visit, your IP was logged the moment you opened this page.

Muddawg

True, but as with any good hacker, I'm using a proxy server, and a fake IP generator anyway don't get so mad, i got the OEM version of Windows ME when I got my computer anyway, I just got a burned copy in case my friends or i needed it for fixing some computer we find.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Muddawg@Dec 1 2003, 01:23 AM
    True, but as with any good hacker, I'm using a proxy server, and a fake IP generator anyway don't get so mad, i got the OEM version of Windows ME when I got my computer anyway, I just got a burned copy in case my friends or i needed it for fixing some computer we find.
    who's getting mad? not I.
    as for using a proxy server, they also keep logs. which can be traced back to you.
    two words ya dont see often in the same paragraph are hacker and Windows ME LOL.

Muddawg

Ya thats for sure Win ME SUX! They finally got close with Win XP, but I think it is still overloaded. Liniux or UNIX is the way to go, but i don't really want to bother paying for it or installing it. If you ask me, get an AmigaONE and do some serious hacking, but i don't have that kind of money O well what can ya do? :P
    later

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Muddawg@Dec 1 2003, 08:39 PM
    Ya thats for sure Win ME SUX! They finally got close with Win XP, but I think it is still overloaded. Liniux or UNIX is the way to go, but i don't really want to bother paying for it or installing it. If you ask me, get an AmigaONE and do some serious hacking, but i don't have that kind of money O well what can ya do? :P
    later
    you dont have to pay for GUN/Linux distos; presently, unless SCO wins its lawsuit. GNU/Linux distros are ok, you do have to pay for UNIX though. For $20 you can get a copy of Sun Solaris 9.0 for the x86, which is Sun Microsystems licensed UNIX. you can also use *BSD (which there is a few choices in the BSD family now, OpenBSD, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Dragonfly, TrustedBSD, PicoBSD, FreeBSD), which has been around for a long time (30years), some BSD code has been used in UNIX and vice-versa. BSD has a better license than the GPL or LGPL GNU/LINUX uses, since your not required to release your source code, as you are under the GPL.
    You can also try the Apple Darwin, (OpenDarwin, Gnu/Darwin) which makes use of BSD/MACH, which also is used in the OSX Jaguar. Even some code from the MACH kernel was used to build Windows NT.
    QNX Neutrino RTOS can be had for free as well, it is a REALTIME OS. and has been around for 20years also. it is mostly for Embedded devices, I have QNX 4 on a MTX Visara 1763 (thinclient)box. the OS is on a chip.
    BeOS 5 PE can still be downloaded. BeOS is the multimedia OS, which was available for the x86 and PPC platforms. an extremely fast system, a true geek box was the BeBox with 4 CPU's.
    I have IRIX running on my SGI 64bit workstation. Which is SGI's licensed UNIX, not free.
    Atheos is a free OS you can also download.
    Athene OS is is another, but unlike any other operating system, Athene is designed to work both as a VM (virtual machine) or as a full operating system installation. using the Omega environment you can make it looks similar to the Amgia OS3.0 workstation with Amiga style gadgets
    and then there is also THeOS, PetrOS, ReactOS, SkyOS, ReOS...i could go on for days
    if you want to do some real hacking, then go get and install the free Native Oberon OS, written in original Oberon language or try your hand at Bluebottle OS, based on ASO (Active Object System) kernel.
    there is also the AROS(Amiga Research OS) project which boots from 3 floppys.
    AMIGA OS 4.0, have not heard much on it lately.
    If your wanting a GNU software OS, and dont like the current situation with the SCO lawsuit, you can just replace the GNU/Linux kernel with the GNU/HURD kernel, as rem, LINUX is not an OS, it is just a kernel

CALM

Originally posted by locustfurnace@Nov 30 2003, 11:04 PM

two words ya dont see often in the same paragraph are hacker and Windows ME LOL.
    Good one Locustfurnace! HAHA. Th longer I use the new (XP) computer the more I like the W98! Just needs a new monitor. Hey maybe Santa will bring it!

Super Moderator

Originally posted by CALM@Dec 3 2003, 01:24 PM
    Th longer I use the new (XP) computer the more I like the W98! Just needs a new monitor. Hey maybe Santa will bring it!
    WOW, another WIndows XP satisfied customer! This is funny because i just said in a posting the other day, how many people with ME or Xp would really prefer to go back to Win98, http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...t=ST&f=1&t=1579
    I have never taken the Xp Home edition for a spin around the block, just sat in it parked in the driveway. Though i have taken many laps in Xp Pro, and was not thrilled, the first thing i did was removed that hideous interface back to the classic Windows look. the Start Menu's change, good attempt, but they failed. Now if your someone new to computers and thats the first OS you have ever used, then that person may like it, as they dont know any better. thats not saying Windows Start menu in older OS's is great either. I like the category grouping of KDE but prefer overall the look of Enlightenment, waiting for DR17.

CALM

yea, i could have saved alot of money if I had had Netscape 7.1, a new hardware modem and a new monitor on the W98 computer. Sure wouldnt have gotten a new computer and I am probably gonna end up buying the modem and monitor anyway. XP home is ok, but nothing special as I dont do DVD, video or fancy games. I seem to prefer old programs like installed Adobe photo deluxe 3 and went BACK to 2.
    then HAD to get new scanner and new software sucks. new is certainly not better, IMO
    (has ANYONE ever gotten their rebate from Hewlett Packard??!!?? BIG RIPOFF unresponsive COMPANY&#33