Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

defragthis

smashed directories like sledge-a-matic used on a egg. free dos util. i think, it would impress a lot of people if they had it. would appreciate it and the free licence if anyone has it. in the age of adware i miss it. It was called Rock Directory Killer

Super Moderator

Originally posted by defragthis@Nov 27 2003, 03:13 AM
    smashed directories like sledge-a-matic used on a egg. free dos util. i think, it would impress a lot of people if they had it. would appreciate it and the free licence if anyone has it. in the age of adware i miss it. It was called Rock Directory Killer
    Only Shareware and Freeware are offered on this site, not licenses, as that is illegal.
    if your using DOS to delete files, why dont you just use the command deltree, works well.

defragthis

the licence is a gnu public one, and some files i have ran into in adware have to be destroyed in a not so simple matter, if you haven't run into these your not finding all the files. if you are finding them and can't get them out you have to open the file with edit first, delete the contents of the file, save as, over write the file, change the attributes, then del the file. and that is a pain in the....rock will kill them in one swipe and delete relative file and registry paths.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by defragthis@Nov 28 2003, 02:44 AM
    the licence is a gnu public one, and some files i have ran into in adware have to be destroyed in a not so simple matter, if you haven't run into these your not finding all the files. if you are finding them and can't get them out you have to open the file with edit first, delete the contents of the file, save as, over write the file, change the attributes, then del the file. and that is a pain in the....rock will kill them in one swipe and delete relative file and registry paths.
    Microsoft never released anything under the GPL. you might be thinking of FreeDOS then. Microsoft defines the GPL, LGPL as a virus often.

all the steps you define to delete a file is pointless. change attributes does nothing to prevent a file from being recovered for one. Deleting registry only removes things from the Windows database.
    To delete a file and reduce any chance of recovery, you must overwrite individual clusters with multi-pass wiping, a good minimum is about 35 passes according to the Gutmann standards, dont buy the DOD's 7 pass is fine lie. Even once you overrite the cluster, you then need to purge erased file names from directory structure.

simply reformatting a drive to erase data also does not work, as data can be recovered from a re formatted drive easily.

about the only true way to destory data from a hard drive is to take the hard drive out of the computer, degauss it, then grind the platters into fine dust.

defragthis

this is not a microsoft file i said it works well with msdos meaning you can put it in the command folder and use it straight from the dos prompt. this file was written by someone in the late 70s or early 80s. you were allowed to distribute the file freely and required to send any inhancements or changes to the author. the file was supposed to be distributed with it's license. and you were not allowed to charge money for the file. i am not looking for anything illegal here, just something that is obsolete. if you want to make your drive unrecoverable simply write all 0 or 1 to it 6 times and all data is lost. that is not my objective, i want to remove undesirables from my computer simply and quickly. they will not sneak onto my machine and use my bandwidth, drive up my cpu usage, waist my disk space filling it up with temperary garbage files. if i find a need to wipe my drive i will use evidence eliminator and it will be clean when i get up in the morning. there are 250,000 free dos utilities floating around this is one of them. if this was an illegal file it would be easy to get, it would be on p2p somewhere. P.S. writing all 0s to the hard drive 6 times is called imbedding this distroys all info because all info below it cannot be distinguised in any particular order, in other words random samples of any one particular address will return information from any files have been written over with other files ( can no longer distinguish what charactor existed at what time) which is what happens when you format and reload.
    8 times and they cant exen get random bits.

Super Moderator

a problem is that if the file was made in the 70's?? it will not understand FAT32, or even FAT16. So it most likely will not work with the current directory structures, if it was made that long ago, was it for CP/M?
    If it was made in the 70's, then i am sure it was not under the GNU GPL, as the GPL was not written til around 1986 '88. and the GPL i am sure then was not in the same language as it is today. Since you state it could not be sold or charged money for the file, then thats not how the GPL works. So it may not have been under the GPL, as the GPL does permit you to charge.
    If you HAD to send changes to the author, then that too, does not seem to fall under the GPL, as the GPL allows you to make modifications, and release all source files and you must note the changes and give credit to the original authors, but you are not forced to send changes to the creators.

It is possible then, it may have fallen under an older license, such as the BSD license. As BSD was distributed in the 70's, but unlike the GPL, you are not forced to make all changes public, you can make changes and not release them, so that seems then to rule out the BSD license.
    MS-DOS 1.0 did not come out til 1981. Which was just QDOS (a.k.a 86-DOS)(Quick & Dirty Operating System), purchased by Microsoft, so they never created it by the way.
    CP/M (Control Program for Microcomputers) did exist in the 70's was designed later for the 8080, there was also CDOS (Cromemco Disk Operating System), CP/M later became DR-DOS, from Digital Research, and later was bought by Novell - NovellDOS and then sold to Caldera (a.k.a SCO) and turned named into "OpenDOS" and now it seems to have gone to other hands once again and is now again Dr-DOS.
    So it is possible it could be under one of the public domain licenses that Caldera had released OpenDOS under, or who knows.

overwriting it 6 times will not make it unrecoverable, the DOD specifies 7 passes, NSA is 3 passes and Gutmann is 35 passes. It will make it unrecoverable by most means, yes. but not forensic analysis, which use oscillocopes and frequency meters and alls sorts of good gadgets.
    even if you wipe the file, but exclude wiping the file directory structure, as most erasing apps do not handle, the file can be re-constructed based on the header info, such as the shortname, long name, cluster length ....of the file
    Originally posted by defragthis@Nov 28 2003, 01:34 PM
    if this was an illegal file it would be easy to get, it would be on p2p somewhere.
    Wonder why legal files are harder to find then illegal ones? LOL thats funny.

Here is a program called Directory Killer it is a CLI app.
    [*]Directory Killer v0.02(3kb) DK is a small and dirty utility that will kill empty directories per users specs.
    ftp://ftp.sac.sk/pub/sac/utildisk/dk002.zip

defragthis

i tried the file and thank you for trying to help, i set it loose on a folder called anthology. but found the directory does indeed have to be empty. i downloaded a file on faith called chainsaw.com from jumbo/utilities/dos. (saved the webpage), advertised as freeware. it not only smashed anthology but took out ezula in one shot to. haven't been infected with gator or double click yet but suspect this file is up to the job. sorry about the p2p statement but nowdays everyones gone crazy on the net. there are sites offering newly released software ,that's not released. actually released freeware on a site proclaimming the hack and theft of the century. and even a clone of a microsoft update page that has a virus on every update.( idenified by the lack of a search tab on the upper right corner. (suppose they'll fix that boo-boo now that it's been mentioned). so i asked for a file that i was sure of the status of. rock directory killer probably had a artistic license,that was published back in the days when people read the license.
    now everybody is in such a hurry, everybody including me says, ya sure i didn't write it, i won't disassemble it and i wont use any part of the code amen, and click accept. i don't know were we lost it but we did. full were i got it from,,http://www.jumbo.com/utilities/dos/

Super Moderator

as i said before, if you want to delete a directory, you already have all the tools you need with your Windows install. deltree will work fine for removing any files and directorys, it can completey empty your hard drive if not careful as well.
    ~USE DELTREE/y WITH EXTREME CAUTION, ELSE YOU RISK LOSING EVERYTHING IF RUN IN ROOT DIR~
    just open a dos prompt, go to the directory you want to remove, such as c:\anothology, and execute deltree/y *.* /s
    Be certain your in the correct folder before you run this command. "deltree" by itself will prompt you on each file it will remove nomally. but when your certain and dont want to be bothered with the prompting eachg time, especially when you have thousands of files in the dir, you use the command line switch /y, which informs deltree YES to all, which then it will not prompt you.
    the "*.*" tells deltree to delete everything, it is a wildcard. and the /s tells deltree to go into any subfolders within the current directory.
    deltree/y *.* /s
    if you only wanted to delete ALL the files that were bitmaps in a directory you could use it as so
    deltree/y *.bmp /s
    i've written many a DOS batch files which are used to delete files with, this way, all i have to then do is double click that batch file, and it will run and save me the hassle of typing it out every time.
    i have a certain folder i use for mirroring websites, then i will take all the files, usually thousands, and stick on a cd.
    i take that batch file i created, and always leave it in the top directory of the mirrored folders, and when finished picking through what i want to keep. just double click that batch file, and everything is gone.
    withint the batch file, have also set it up to call up another dos file which is a empty disk space cleaner, so once the deltree command is run, it loads the next app, and wipes the free space.
    i dont wipe free space for security, i wipe it to make recovery easier. If system crashes and i need to do a recovery on lost data, i dont have all that garbage i deleted, just what was recently placed on the drive.
    i also run a batch file for scandisk, since i have many HD's and an untold amount of partitions.
    if you want to browse for old DOS apps, you then should also check out Simtel.net.

defragthis

ezula was the first to start protecting there program from deleting by dos, the rest are following their lead. they know the order in wich deltree deletes and the first file deltree encounters in their folder returns the message access denied. if you surf any you have this file folder, try it and see. these people are real nice cpu and bandwidth hogs. i have dsl maybe i can spare the band width for their foolishness but i have an older computer. with 5 adware programs in my machine in one night with it left on i sent out more bytes than you could imagine, 2 gigs, in one week thats more than my hard drive will hold. there is no reason for programs like this to exist and people shouldn't put up with them. as you can tell i'm on a mission against them. as far as security goes i believe there is no security sure you can buy a program to help you feel secure if your daft, but i recommend you never enter your credit card no. into a computer anywere or anytime. i keep a direct withdraw account which i put the amount into the account just before getting internet bucks from yahoo. noone is going to get me for more than the $25 it takes to keep the account open. they don't need your hard drive they can go to your provider with a court order and record every byte you transfer hard wired right to your connection.
    so i'll tell you i don't waste the money on premium apps much i instead buy software alot from softkey.
    on the average they cost around $20 a program and they work well enough for what i do and they don't fill up my hard drive with bloatware, and noone is looking for me. they have a great paint program with one minor problem
    it puts older files into system so you have to load windows over top windows to straighten it out but, i can get results as good as anything i've found posted on the net made with apps costing more than $300.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by defragthis+Nov 30 2003, 09:51 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (defragthis @ Nov 30 2003, 09:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>ezula was the first to start protecting there program from deleting by dos, the rest are following their lead. they know the order in wich deltree deletes and the first file deltree encounters in their folder returns the message access denied. if you surf any you have this file folder, [/b]

I have run across the "hard to delete" apps on clients systems. but once you know how to remove them you can with little trouble. again, with the batch file, amended it to remove all hidden, system, archive and read-only bits. so just add before the deltree command
    attrib -h -r -s -a *.*
    reboot to DOS mode to run the batch file if necessary.
    also, if you disable Active X and javascripting from running on your machine, then you lower your chances of any websites/programs hijacking your system. and if you run a non Microsoft Windows system, you dont suffer these problems.

Originally posted by -defragthis@Nov 30 2003, 09:51 AM
    i have dsl maybe i can spare the band width for their foolishness but i have an older computer. with 5 adware programs in my machine in one night with it left on i sent out more bytes than you could imagine, 2 gigs,
    That is why it is good to maintain a host file, which will deny those spyware programs from "phoning home", you block any site from connecting from your machine to their server by blocking them via the host file, i currently maintain HOST files for UNIX, APPLE, and Windows, that have well over 24,000 sites blocked. and it also blocks pop-ups, ad banners....

Originally posted by -defragthis@Nov 30 2003, 09:51 AM
    as far as security goes i believe there is no security sure you can buy a program to help you feel secure if your daft, b
    Your correct, there is no sure security on the internet, other then unplugging your computer from the network, but thats no reason not to take precautions, such as packet filtering, application level-proxy&#39;s, making use of IPsec or using IPv6, ACL&#39;s, having SSL websites, using SSH protocols inplace of telnet, closing off any and all unused services, enforcing the use good strong passwords, never run more servers than you need. Run good intrusion detection systems, and always read and understand the logs that your emailed nightly.
    But even with your house, houses are broken into all the time, does that mean we should all not lock our doors & windows at night. what about our vehicles, should we not lock the doors when we park them? If someone is determined to gain access to whatever it is you have, they will find a way.
    There is also more than just "software" to protect you, you can also purchase hardware firewalls from such company&#39;s as Cisco Systems. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/

<!--QuoteBegin--defragthis
    @Nov 30 2003, 09:51 AM
    they have a great paint program with one minor problem
    it puts older files into system so you have to load windows over top windows to straighten it out but, i can get results as good as anything i&#39;ve found posted on the net made with apps costing more than &#036;300.
    [/quote]
    I dont think that is a minor problem. thats a hassle. There are many good free paint programs if your looking for FREE Paint suites. So far the most advanced application that is free, and is similar to the &#036;900 Adobe PhotoShop would be The Gimp, http://www.gimp.org/, it is free, no adware either, and you can get the source code if you want to check that there is no spyware coded into the program. there are also a few more links on the forum that i have posted for other freeware titles for graphic editing.

When the programs install older .dll&#39;s, instead of reinstaling windows to solve the problem, maybe you can try running sfc.exe to fix the problem. Most programs should not overwrite newer files, without your permission. I really see that as something that is in need of fixing with whatever programs you use that run this way.