Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How To Speed Up

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Goslow unplugged@Dec 23 2003, 09:44 AM
    Hmmh I wonder if the waybackmachines spyders caught it.
    and now I'm not going to tell you about EndItAll some nice freeware from PC Magazine :P
    If there was a 2nd posting, as i said, i did not delete it, so i dont know what would have happened to it.

• PrcView FREE, is a process viewer utility that displays detailed information about processes running under Windows. For each process it displays memory, threads and module usage. For each DLL it shows full path and version information. PrcView comes with a command line version that allows you to write scripts to check if a process is running, kill it, etc.
      http://www.xmlsp.com/pview/prcview.htm

the observer

simmer down goslow, i hope i didnt offend you, in my neck of the woods, comments like the ones i use are just nothing more than a joke,i just fail to realise sometimes that folk come from all over when your on a website and dont share the same humourous manner as used by locals in your own area.anyway if i offended you at all , please accept my apologies it wasnt meant as an insult just a witty comment, SORRY

patty72018

You might wanna try Cacheman from Outer Technoligies ,this program lets you fool around with alot of different settings!!!

Goslow unplugged

Originally posted by the observer@Dec 24 2003, 05:29 AM
    simmer down goslow
    Nope not "simmer" but I am lovely & warm I'd go for a swim though I fear the christmas pud would make me sink
    and no need to apoligise prolly neighbours (2nd thoughts thats unlikely as they all move away???)
    100% of the posts I make "are just nothing more than a joke" pinned warning need or my disclaimers will be longer than posts and as I have enough problems being <s>misbegotten</s> misunderstood is the least of them.
    However exception is the rule so:
    carry = load
    garbled composition = my own double vision
    "and now I&#39;m not going to tell you about EndItAll some nice freeware from PC Magazine" :rolleyes:

but I&#39;m still not going to tell you about enditall, l.f&#39;s (posted app) is prolly more powerful anyway but who would use an application named prcviewer.

Just remember terminating programs by any method other than ALT+F4 may result in lost data, leaked resources and/or unreleased memory.Allways reboot after a defrag

Posts disfunctional and have not been tested for exact meaning /intention (leftclick on X oar :) use ALT+F4)
    ----------------------------
    BIG
    BLUE
    If you don&#39;t like those kinds of thrills wait until the software is "out of" beta.

the observer

ok gozzy no problem i get the picture.

Drumbo

i think the main problem is that you are using ME. i have never seen a computer run well on ME. :P
    i would say that you should get rid of explorer. change your shell. in my own biased point of view, i would say use aston shell. but being that i find it the most ingenious poece of software ever, i would say that. i wouldnt sugest litestep on your machine, unless you got an old version of it, and that would work great, though you wouldnt be able to download skins probably, and it often hard to get the darn thing installed.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Drumbo@Jan 9 2004, 03:43 AM
    i think the main problem is that you are using ME. i have never seen a computer run well on ME. :P
    Windows ME is definitely not the best, but... I do have it installed on one system, which happens to be a 233mhz 80megs RAM 1.2gig HD, and for the past 5 months it has been doing ok.
    Since the poster states they have a 600Mhz with 240Megs RAM, they have a good machine for running ME.
    I do know of 1 person running ME on a 700Mhz system that does have alot of problems. as well as 1 user on a 1.2Ghz system who when they use the system have nothing but trouble, although i had the box for a week, and i never had a single problem running it.
    Me is not the sole problem, as it also depends on the additional combination of installed apps.

Replacing the shell is fine if your know what your doing and want to learn something on your computer. I find replacing the shell can lead to alot of problems in itself. As you said, it can be a pain to install, alot of the shells require manual installation, which requires one to reboot into DOS to rename the explorer.exe to something else, and rename the shell to explorer.exe, Not to many users are capable of using DOS these days. Even with well written instructions on setting up, many users often find themselves unable to reboot into windows once making these changes. And they don&#39;t understand how to get back to a previous working system. With no system restore system, they end up finding their only remedy is to reinstall windows.
    I do not recommened anyone without the ability to use DOS efficiently to replace their shell.

Drumbo

if the user has problems installing a shell, Aston is the one then. its main pitch to glory is that it is simple to set up, and use. all it requires is a log off, and your in it. then, just use a simple shell swapper app to switch between Aston and explorer. this is seriously easy to use. i know 60 year olds that know jack about computers that have sucessfully installed it.

Super Moderator

[*]Eat Icons FREE, Speed up Windows Explorer by removing icons. Can be set to run at startup. (24k)[*]Windows Startup Inspector FREE, helps users to manage Windows startup applications. Windows Startup Inspector provides information on the programs that are running at your Windows startup process. Whether a program is necessary to the system, or is the program a spyware. Can also remove unnecessary apps which load at start time, slowing your system down, such as the Quicktime & RealPlayer tray launchers.[*]EasyCleaner FREE, is a small program which searches Windows&#39; registry for entries that are pointing nowhere, deleting these entries will speed up your system.

ebmocwen

I use windows 95. When I hit CTRL+ALT+DLT and the close program dialog box comes up, there are way more programs listed than show up in my task bar or under START/PROGRAMS/START UP. I&#39;ve tried disabling them in the programs themselves by finding the option to "load at startup" or whatever, but not every program has that. What can I do about that?