Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Design

This will allow us to grow, and add programs a lot easier and quicker. The emails have changed to reflect that we can actually check and respond to some email.

Post your comments.
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

Super Moderator

New site looks good, is the forum next to get a make-over of similar design?

I don't really see it necessery to change the forum design, it seems to work fine.
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

Goslow unplugged

Hhhmm I didnt get a good look I shift/clicked on the link to open new O.V.com in another I.E. browser window right clicked to show a couple of graphics (that will please the addmen) and that was it old I.E. and new O.V. locked horns and things froze up, one browser window to many I guess.
    I suppose its time I had another look at the alternative browsers in the forum.

It will certainly be appreciated to have an improved flow of old versions to the site I'm sure.
    -------------------------
    BIG
    BLUE If you don't like those kinds of thrills wait until the software is "out of" beta.

Beta

Very nice, and the grouping of the programs makes it easier to find the programs that the user wants.

I find it ironic that a site with principles that "newer is not always better", would change to a newer, less streamlined, less friendly interface.

I don't like it much. I tend to get used to things only to get them ruined in the "upgrades", and that is why I have been a regular at this site for quite awhile. There is no doubt - alphabetical listing on the left, such as the design that was implemented in the old design, is FAR easier to browse than a categorized listing via each program's particular application. Not that I'm asking you to go back to the old design, but that's just my two cents.

Originally posted by Guest@Dec 8 2003, 12:27 AM
    I find it ironic that a site with principles that "newer is not always better", would change to a newer, less streamlined, less friendly interface.

I don't like it much. I tend to get used to things only to get them ruined in the "upgrades", and that is why I have been a regular at this site for quite awhile. There is no doubt - alphabetical listing on the left, such as the design that was implemented in the old design, is FAR easier to browse than a categorized listing via each program's particular application. Not that I'm asking you to go back to the old design, but that's just my two cents.
    We need this new layout because if we want to grow we cannot have a long table of programs on the side.
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

sock

So this is the new site then? No excuses about outdated information now? :P

Because....... you're still saying that 6.03 is the latest version of mIRC, while it's actually 6.12. The versions of mIRC between the last one you have for download (6.02) and the current one are 6.03, 6.1 and 6.11.
    Also, the latest version of QuickTime is 6.4, not 6.0.
    And you may want to put your eyes on Winamp, because version 5 should be released very soon.

If you can't monitor all these new versions (and I can really understand that), you could specify a "last updated" date in every application page. When you upload more old versions for a certain app, you could also check what its latest version is, then update the page with both things.
    It's just that it's kinda hurts the site's image when it states what a latest version of an app is, when that version is in fact a few months old.

Anyway, back to topic - I like the design, it does its job well. The only thing I don't like is how you put the great slogan, "because newer is not always better". I dunno, it's kinda dodgy to read. :P

Super Moderator

"New Design" & "New Layout" doesn&#39;t necessarily imply updated information. I think inplace of the "current version X.XX.X" tag, It could be possible to just say "check the website at <http website html> for current versions" Since keeping track of current versions is near impossible, just take a look at the apps on C|net, even that site doesn&#39;t always link to the posted version number. Since programs can be updated weekly and sometimes even a version number can jump in a day, if a major bug is found once released.

gengar56

If you guys need any help keeping things up-to-date, I can volunteer. Also, I could probably contribute some old versions - I&#39;ve never deleted a download and I&#39;ve tried tons of freeware.