Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help & Manual

Super Moderator

Originally posted by oakley+Dec 10 2003, 07:26 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (oakley @ Dec 10 2003, 07:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>If mp3 is such a "poor quality encoder" why is it so popular? you cant tell me that compressing music a nearly 10 times its original size say 192br and not being able to tell the diff to the original is poor... and what are the compressed file sizes like on the other formats you mentioned? not as good as mp3 i bet.[/b]
    When did POPULAR ever imply QUALITY? Windows is the most popular desktop OS, and its quality is extremely poor. Dial-up internet is very popular too, does this make it BETTER quality? AOL is extremely popular, so you think it must be high quality stuff.
    Who cares how much compression you can apply to a file if the quality in the end is poor, this is why VQF never made much inroad in the compression areana with its format. Maybe you cant tell the difference between a 192BR from its original, but many can. If mp3 were the perfect format, then why would there be better more advanced codecs being developed by companys such as Fgh, Dolby, Sony? As far as who can get the size of the file the smallest and retain as much quality as possible, that would have to go to Ogg-Vorbis, A typical mp3 encoder will compress a 30 megs wav to a 3meg mp3, while Ogg-Vorbis will be even smaller, such as 2.7megs, and if you like you can do a double huffman pass (rehuff) to make it smaller. As a matter of fact, AAC is gaining alot of "popularity", you can now even get a demo codec with the newest NERO. There are many things mp3 can not do either, such as 5.1 encoding, this is where AC3 comes into use. And if you have not paid much attention, there has been much progress in the development of Mp4. even released, are demo software from Fgh.
    <!--QuoteBegin--oakley
    @Dec 10 2003, 07:26 AM
    "Since the help files are simple html pages "
    well no. they are compiled into one file, quite different.
    [/quote]
    No, it is not different. They are simple html files. You can turn any html file collection into a hlp, chm file. get the help SDK kit from Microsoft.

"Windows is the most popular desktop OS, and its quality is extremely poor"
    Look I know its trendy to hate microsoft... and the more you hate Bill the more you know about computers right? but considering windows is free i reackon its pritty good ...lol

so... after all that bs the best audio codec only produces 300k smaller file size than mp3&#39;s from a 30mg original? that hardly makes the mp3 format a "poor quality encoder" does it. If you can tell the difference between a 192BR from its original ill give you &#036;100, have you actually tried it? Also you have to take the speed of compression/decompression into account too, how long is it gona take to do a "rehuff" on a 30mg file?
    Obviously mp3s dont support 5.1 but who cares?

"No, it is not different. They are simple html files. You can turn any html file collection into a hlp, chm file. get the help SDK kit from Microsoft. "
    Obviously if the text, formating and images are compiled into one file it IS VERY DIFFERENT from a standard HTML page and you need a decompiler to do it. Just because you can convert HTML to a .hlp file doesnt mean they are the same.

ok that will do for now

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Guest+Dec 10 2003, 11:44 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Dec 10 2003, 11:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>"Windows is the most popular desktop OS, and its quality is extremely poor" Look I know its trendy to hate microsoft... and the more you hate Bill the more you know about computers right? but considering windows is free i reackon its pritty good ...lol [/b]
    Hating bill has nothing to do with the better quality of other OS&#39;s. Its not as if the more you hate MS the better your other software becomes. Nor would liking your OS make it stop poppin BSOD at ya every so often.
    Originally posted by -Guest@Dec 10 2003, 11:44 AM
    so... after all that bs the best audio codec only produces 300k smaller file size than mp3&#39;s from a 30mg original? that hardly makes the mp3 format a "poor quality encoder" does it. If you can tell the difference between a 192BR from its original ill give you &#036;100, have you actually tried it? Also you have to take the speed of compression/decompression into account too, how long is it gona take to do a "rehuff" on a 30mg file?
    Obviously mp3s dont support 5.1 but who cares?
    300k saving on 1 file is not impressive but once you get into an archive of thousands, then that adds up to some real space savings.
    Yes, I have done ABX testing.
    Your not doing a rehuff on a 30 megs file, your doing a rehuff on the compressed ogg file, so if the first pass produced a 2.7 megs file, then you rehuff that, not the 30 megs file. How long does it take? not long at all, as it&#39;s reading the data, computing optimal codes then re-saving. the time to do this is less than a minute on a batch process. Which then can reduce the filesize an addtional 2-5%. This is a lossless process. Another benefit to Vorbis-Ogg is being able to stuff multiple streams into a single file. So what does this mean? you can have 9 songs in a single file, each tagged and fully searchable. While mp3 can only chanin 1+1+1+, and play them only in a 1+1+1 linear fashion.
    Who cares about AC3? everybody that wants to do DVD authoring. anyone who wants to convert their DVD-A into a compressed format.
    <!--QuoteBegin--Guest
    @Dec 10 2003, 11:44 AM
    "No, it is not different. They are simple html files. You can turn any html file collection into a hlp, chm file. get the help SDK kit from Microsoft. " Obviously if the text, formating and images are compiled into one file it IS VERY DIFFERENT from a standard HTML page and you need a decompiler to do it. Just because you can convert HTML to a .hlp file doesnt mean they are the same. [/quote]
    You can take 300 images + texts + htmls and stuff them into single zip archive, does that make the content any different? no, it remains all the same.

Originally posted by oakley@Dec 8 2003, 02:49 AM
    What do you think most ppl are gona use a site like this for then?
    There are many reasons for using a site like this other then thinking

"I&#39;ll download an older version so I can get a crack"

1) Sheesh, not everyone can afford a brand new computer and if you look at the system requirements for newer programs they increase with each new version. So what&#39;s a person to do that runs a Pentium 200 MMX? Buy the latest version that has a system requirement of a Pentium 2 400?

2) the tread of this post if you read it is very informing once you ignore the insults. You can learn a lot of new things from reading other people&#39;s ideas and opinions.

3) What about the person that pays a licencing fee on a program that suits his purpose, loses the program through a hard drive crash, downloads the newer version and finds: A) My registery code no longer works and B.) The thing I liked most about the program I bought has been altered and I don&#39;t like the way it works now.

4) If you are seeking a program to do a certain thing IE: convert MP3 to WAV (Not a request BTW just an example) you can post a topic and ask for help.

It seems to me a site like this has many uses other then helping promote piracy.

http://www.ec-software.com/download.htm

Help & Manual lets you create and edit your online help project and export it to a many different output formats (HTML Help, Winhelp, plain HTML, Adobe PDF and others). You are immediately used to its clear and intuitive user interface. Download now and create your help file within the next 10 minutes&#33;

Help & Manual 3.4.0 Evaluation Version

This evalution version is fully functional and runs 14 days. It applies an "evaluation" marker to compiled help files which is not applied in the full version. To install Help & Manual, just download and run hmsetup.exe.

hmsetup.exe (file size 14.7 mb)

Supported operating systems:
    Windows 98SE, ME, NT 4, 2000, XP and Windows 2003 Server.

Requirements:
    RAM 64 mb, disk space 30 mb, screen resolution of 800x600 (1024x768 recommended).

So now it looks like the 3.31 version you have IS an old version.

Super Moderator

Since this post got dug up; which I had no intentions of fulfilling, I suppose I will drop off some similar Freeware & Shareware titles.

Freeware Titles
    • Microsoft HTML Help 1.4 SDK (Freeware), HTML Help consists of an online Help Viewer, related help components, and help authoring tools from Microsoft Corporation.
    • Oasis SE (Freeware), Fully supports context-sensitive help projects, Supports export to .hpj, .rtf and .cnt file types
    • (Shareware)[/b].dk/soft/shelpmbeta/index.html]Shalom Help Maker v0.5.2 (Freeware), Shalom Help Maker (SHM) is a Windows help file editor that doesn&#39;t need MS Word. It supports images, popup windows, links to other pages, web pages and E-mail addresses, and has automatic updating of links when pages are rearranged, listing of unused bitmaps and popup pages, listing of links to the present page ... and lots more. SHM makes old-fashioned hlp files, not chm files (HTML based help files).
    • Abee Chm Maker (Freeware), is program for easily making chm-files
    • HtmlToHlp (Freeware), is a conversion tool which translates HTML files to RTF, in order to generate Windows help files from a set of HTML files. It handles the whole conversion, including the help file compilation
    • EclipseHelp (Freeware), is the fast way to create help files for Windows 95, all in one compact, efficient piece of software.
    • AstroHelp (Freeware), A tool for creating Windows Help in an (somewhat antiquated Microsoft Word 6.x/7.x.
    • (Freeware)[/b]ware.com/jfprogramming.htm#cheetah]Cheetah 9 (Freeware), is an editor to create rtf Help Topic Files to be used with Microsoft&#39;s Help Workshop.
    • (Freeware)[/b]ware.com/jfprogramming.htm#helpme]HelpMe 9 is a complete package for creating Windows Help files. No seperate rtf editor required.
    • HelpAid is a program that processes text files coded with keywords to generate the HPJ and RTF files required as input by a Help Compiler.
    • (Freeware)[/b]ware.com/jftools.htm]EasyPDF (Freeware), is a XML to PDF converter supporting: page, text(single line text), section(multi-line text that can auto-flow), font(name, size, leading), stroke(color, width, style), fill(color)...
    • HTMLDOC (Freeware), Converts HTML files to PDF or PostScript, Generates a table-of-contents for books, Generates indexed HTML files
    • Keytools (Freeware), Compiles, Decompiles .chm, .its files recreates .hhp files.

Shareware Titles
    • Visual Help Pro 4.0 (Shareware), It&#39;s the completely integrated help development environment. creates WinHelp 3.0, WinHelp 4.0, HTMLHelp,HTML Documents and RTF Manuals
    • FAR ((Shareware)), FAR is a collection of file and HTML Help utilities for authors. Download the full functional demo
    • HyperText Studio 4.06 (Shareware), WYSIWYG HyperText Authoring tool provides a visual way to create your web sites, help files and other documentation.
    • Help Magician Elite (Shareware), The all-in-one Help and Web Authoring Tool for people who don&#39;t want to learn RTF or HTML. is the all-in-one, stand alone WYSIWYG Winhelp Help Authoring Tool, HTML Help Authoring Tool, and Web Site Builder.
    • RoboHelp Office X4 (Shareware)
    • Visage for Windows Help Designer/HTML Edition is a specialized WYSIWYG environment for quickly and easily creating Microsoft HTML Help systems