Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Just Another Idiot

If you really want to use Kazaa, try using PeerGuardian.

http://www.methlabs.org/methlabs.htm

It blocks the list of known IP's that the RIAA and others use to bust file sharers.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Just Another Idiot@Feb 15 2004, 09:39 PM
    It blocks the list of known IP's that the RIAA and others use to bust file sharers.
    As stated in another thread, blocking only known IP address of the RIAA corporation, does not mean members of the RIAA, BMG, ASCAP will not take their work home - which means they will be using their own home computers, and those IP address are unknown to these applications.
    If those members are on a dial-up service, the IP address they used today to search kazaa, wont be the same one they will be using tomorrow.

That is giving false security, and wrong to say your "safe", as that single variable can change.

Salopette

Hey guys.... You are all out of topic, this topic talks about the "Kazaa Lite Shut Down" (that doesn't exist).
    So if you want to say to people not to use Kazaa, well create a topic and put in there all your information.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Salopette@Feb 16 2004, 10:24 AM
    Hey guys.... You are all out of topic,
    Don't tell me I am off topic and don't inform me how to moderate this board either. Your just posting this; again, so that you can keep this kazaa thread alive. as you don't contribute nothing else to this board, except redundant kazaa information.

roscowhitby2003

I absolutely love kazaa lite. I reinstalled Windows and I was freaking out because I couldn't find it on the internet without paying. I tried to transfer it from my roommates computer and it didn't work, it sucked. THANK GOD FOR THIS SITE. Keep this up as long as you can. I can't thank you enough.

Just Another Idiot

Originally posted by locustfurnace@Feb 15 2004, 10:44 PM
    As stated in another thread, blocking only known IP address of the RIAA corporation, does not mean members of the RIAA, BMG, ASCAP will not take their work home - which means they will be using their own home computers, and those IP address are unknown to these applications.
    If those members are on a dial-up service, the IP address they used today to search kazaa, wont be the same one they will be using tomorrow.

That is giving false security, and wrong to say your "safe", as that single variable can change.
    You're absolutely correct! But it's nice to know that someone is keeping an eye on the people who are watching others. I installed this on my home web server which in on my DSL line. I have a program called andromeda which is like a jukebox for sharing and listening to music. Although I keep the URL as secret as possible, I do feel a little comfort knowing that known IP addresses of companies that use automated tools looking for any mp3 file is being blocked. As you mention, I wouldn't suggest that anyone put their faith in any tool like this. If you're dead set on sharing files, use a secure program like waste.

Something else to add to that reply is this. The RIAA, ASCAP, BMP, etc are to cheap to pay their employees to GO HOME and work! There are laws about that too. Since it is not at the location of the business who's trying to stop it, these employees doing from home are guilty of sharing files.

Everybody has their own opinion. WE ALL need to respect that and stop being little cry babies about it. What is the point of arguing here? Some of us believe in God, some of us don't. Those of us who don't won't go knocking on your door trying to get you to disbelieve in God and those of us who do believe need to STOP knocking on everyones doors trying to get them to believe!

It's the same fight no matter what the subject is. Come on people! Get real here! The internet is for sharing information. Information comes in many forms. It's all about sharing. Whether we have to pay for it or not it's still about sharing. I believe that Kazaa Lite was excellent! I believe they were right in giving users the ability to access what they wanted just as it should be. Instead of sitting here and crying about whether or not it should be legalized, GET UP AND VOTE!

Those of you who believe in it should stand up and tell your state representatives you want the money hungry music industry stopped from suing people.

Those of you who believe it should be stopped, you can do the same. In the end it's still about the same damn thing!

This is a country built on FREEDOM! We have the right to stand up or sit down but those of you who sit down and refuse to fight will help no cause but your enemies.

We all have rights to believe in what we want. This is a forum people... not a damn boxing ring! We can discuss the issues and not cry about them.

I'm just a guy who feels strongly about certain things and I will stand up against the RIAA! What are they going to do to me? Take away my Birthday???

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Guest+Feb 23 2004, 12:46 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guest @ Feb 23 2004, 12:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>The RIAA, ASCAP, BMP, etc are to cheap to pay their employees to GO HOME and work&#33;* There are laws about that too.* Since it is not at the location of the business who&#39;s trying to stop it, these employees doing from home are guilty of sharing files.[/b]

Those corporations do not have to PAY their employees to go home and search, you have to remember that any copyright holder who uses these copyright houses to protect their work, can, from their own home, look for copyright infringement. If i write a song; as a songwriter, i have every right to protect my copyrighted works. And from home, i can look and see if my works are being passed around, and either i can contact these house and inform them of infringement, since this is what i pay them for.
    So it does not have to be the RIAA who searches, it can be any number of copyright holders. Perfect example with Napster was the members of the heavy metal band who did the searching on their own.
    The employees searching from home, are not sharing files, they are searching for files.
    Copyright Law of the United States of America and Related Laws Contained in Title 17 of the United States Code
    Chapter 10
    Subchapter D Prohibition on Certain Infringement Actions, Remedies, and Arbitration.
    § 1009. Civil remedies
    a) Civil Actions.* Any interested copyright party injured by a violation of section 1002 or 1003 may bring a civil action in an appropriate United States district court against any person for such violation
    Originally posted by -Guest@Feb 23 2004, 12:46 AM
    Those of you who believe in it should stand up and tell your state representatives you want the money hungry music industry stopped from suing people.
    The RIAA is doing nothing other than what the laws states, watch any movie and you will see a warning, that copying and reproducing these works can result in a &#036;250,000 fine or imprisonment, This is not the RIAA just suing people for no reason, the law is being enforced. Whether anyone likes it or not.

Originally posted by -Guest@Feb 23 2004, 12:46 AM
    Information comes in many forms.* It&#39;s all about sharing.* Whether we have to pay for it or not it&#39;s still about sharing.* I believe that Kazaa Lite was excellent&#33;* I believe they were right in giving users the ability to access what they wanted just as it should be.* Instead of sitting here and crying about whether or not it should be legalized, GET UP AND VOTE&#33;
    Voting really is not going to change the fact that the copyright holders/songwriters want to be paid. Sharing information does not give one the right to take possesion of something they do not legally have a right to. "Freedom of information Act" does not apply to novels, and musical compositions. As there does not exist a "Right to Know" what the latest song sounds like.

<!--QuoteBegin--Guest
    @Feb 23 2004, 12:46 AM
    This is a country built on FREEDOM&#33;* We have the right to stand up or sit down but those of you who sit down and refuse to fight will help no cause but your enemies.[/quote] Right, just as the copyright holders have a right to protect their works and to make money on their product. Sitting down, and not figting does not mean your helping an enemy, if you yourself have works you wish to have protected, such as software, music, or novels, or any published works protected by a copyright. The person your helping by sitting and not arguing about the RIAA is yourself, your insuring that your works you spent time creating will remain a source of revenue for you.
    Also note that not all members on this forum are from the USA. Freedom also gives people the options, or the Freedom to argue and to disagree.

http://www.copyright.gov/foia/
    The Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) which can be found in Title 5 of the United States Code, section 552, was enacted in 1966 and provides that any person has the right to request access to federal agency records or information. The federal FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) does not provide a right of access to records held by Congress, the courts, state or local government agencies, or by private businesses or individuals.

Personally i think the music should be made Freely available, as this can and would be a great way to generate revenue, As the music can be free on the net, and there will always be people who wish to buy the media; for the artwork, or to just have a copy in their collection. The Pressed CD&#39;s are much more durable than CD-r&#39;s too.
    The more people are exposed to unknown acts, the more chances of them spending money to go to concerts, a big problem with concerts is that only the well known acts ever pull in the big crowds, due to the FREE coverage & promotion they receive over the air-waves, while the lesser known acts do not get this benefit. All radio stations receive their music for FREE.
    The lesser known acts have to rely on word of mouth, so they draw less crowds to their shows.
    If all music was free to pick through, more people might go to the concerts, since they know the artist&#39;s works now, otherwise they might see a band is playing at a house and not go, missing out as they are unaware of the bands style.
    Concerts are a great souce of constant revenue as well. as each night, acts perform, drawing in bigger and bigger crowds and the ticket prices are skyrocketing.
    While at concerts, people will have more money to spend on memorabilia; t-shirts, posters and what have you.

The music distribution face has to change, or will die. If no one buys music, the Record Companys will stop hiring newer acts, as they will not lessen their take home pay.
    Songwriters/copyright holders do not make much money on pressed media either, it amounts to &#036;0.02 per work. So if a CD contains 16 songs. The copyright holder is paid &#036;0.32 per CD sold. For every 10,000 CD&#39;s sold, a songwriter/copyright holder earns &#036;3,200. Sometimes even the songwriter, artist has to repay back the studio and record company from their paychecks usually from an advance. If the artist is not the copyright holder, then their pay is different.

The best way to see a change in the way the Record House&#39;s do business is to STOP any an all forms of interaction with them, whch would require no buying/renting movies, watching tv, buying from the movies, tv, artist sponsors. Just giving up entertainment for a couple months, then the Record Houses would take notice. If people stop giving them money period. Then they will have to adapt. Which is usually how most industrys react. If people dont buy cars, they lower the prices, change the designs, give the people what they want.

roscowhitby2003

if all the artist&#39;s did what they say they do which is sing for the love of singing, then they wouldnt feel obligated to receive 5 million dollars for f**king singing. by the way, how exactly does the RIAA get your individual IP address??? i you use k lite, they get your user name and track it??? i dont get it.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by roscowhitby2003@Feb 25 2004, 11:29 PM
    if all the artist&#39;s did what they say they do which is sing for the love of singing, then they wouldnt feel obligated to receive 5 million dollars for f**king singing. by the way, how exactly does the RIAA get your individual IP address??? i you use k lite, they get your user name and track it??? i dont get it.
    Pop artist&#39;s don&#39;t account for the majority of musicians. When was the last time you went to see a concert in a club with less than 1,000 people. Or have you only been to the pop artists concerts with tens of thousands of people.
    Some pop artists do receive millions, last time i heard of a female pop act had grossed &#036;90 million in sales, and their take home pay was &#036;2 million, the rest (&#036;80+ million dollars) went to the record labels, engineers, promo dept, press house, video production dept....etc.

A small minority of artist&#39;s earn millions of dollars, it is not the norm.
    Also rem that songwriters and artist do always mean the same person, most of the pop acts do not write their songs; they are the performers, not the songwriters.

You leave a trail with your IP address anywhere you surf. Every single action you do on the net is traceable by your IP address.