Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Missing Files

jobe

If you ever get a missing file error, chances are that I have it at www.requiredfiles.com.

jobe

Super Moderator

Did you just start this site? I got a 404 when accessing the FAQ section

do you have any classic windows sound schemes like the windows 3.1 sounds.

tuffyx

Got it bookmarked, thank you

Super Moderator

Another way to restore missing system files is via the sfc.exe program, included with Windows.
    Example, when I went to change my display properties, and I accessed the menu by right clicking on the desktop and selecting Property's, I got this error message stating that rundll32.exe was missing.
    Clicked the start menu, went to RUN, typed sfc.exe, which is the System File Checker.
    The program can be run in search mode to check for altered files, or you can specify a missing file to replace.

I selected the options to Extract one from the installtion disk. I typed the name of the file I was missing, which was rundll32.exe, then i pressed start on the program. It asked me where I wanted to Restore from, so I browsed to the CD-rom drive, which happens to be drive letter R for me. I selected the R: drive, then clicked on the win98 folder, then clicked OK, It would have asked if wanted to backup the older file, except I was missing the file. After that it restored the file and I was now once againa able to change the display propertys via right clicking on the dektop.

You can use this program to restore system files which may have been altered due to Viruses, trojans, corrupt file allocation tables, what ever can cause a file to become corrupted or lost. Windows makes backups of these files, so you might want to take advantage of the disk space these backups are occupying. Since you most likely have the cd-rom with the installation files, what better way to get lost files then from your own CD's, this way you can be sure there has been no tampering with the original files, which can be the case on some sites.

You can also use the SFC to make a system verification data file of the installed system files on your computer.