Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Winamp Trivia

Release Candiate 1

This was something I got in an email a while ago. I am not sure how true this is, but it seems like a good piece on Winamp trivia.

Early versions used the AMP decoding engine
    until 1.92, Where the new "Nitrane" was used.
    The Fraunhoffer* codec was only used
    in v2.2 due to a disagreement with the author of Nitrane which was resolved in time for the next version

* misspelt with 2 "F"'s as nullsoft did ;P)
    Igor
    Co-Webmaster

FireFox31

Winamp 1.55 is one of the last versions to use the playlist where each function has a seperate button, allowing for easy keyboard-only use (like us TRUE oldversion oldskoolers do it&#33.

1.55 also only uses ID3V1 tags and is not bloated with minibrowsers and plugins for ULT, S3M, and other formats which (though they totally rock) are hardly ever used for anything.

WinAmp 1.55 forever!!!!

eLySiuM

Do the older versions effect the quality of the sound?..
    If not, everybody should use older versions as they use less memory.

graue

Hey, I use S3M files. I was just making one the other day.

Sheamus

I personally think the newest version of Winamp has the best sound yet, and also that nice DJ club-style 'mix' built into your playlists. Although, as you say, while the bells and whistles rock, I never use 'em.

Justin

My biggest prob with winamp 3 is that it takes ages to load (including a splashscreen), and doesn't have some of the vitals, like the 'old school' menu buttons etc. And I miss my 'fire' mode equilizer.

I'm glad I found this site anyway, quite a few progs there that are handy to have.

JammasterB

This thread looks pretty dead, but I'll post here in case someone is searching this site for winamp stuff. There's even more old versions of winamp available at

http://www.winampheaven.net/

Winamp5 has just been released (as of this post) I just tried it and I'm not impressed. Winamp has yet to get video right, at least on my system. There's a plug called vid4wa that works great, I'm using it with v2.81. After reading this thread I'm thinking I'll retrograde to an even older version. Another trick is to steal the stock plugins from a newer Winamp and overwrite the older ones, thus upgrading your sound quality without getting all the other junk they've added. Keep backups of everything, of course.

Albon

Winamp 2.91 Rocks
    my winamp diroctory is 64 megabytes
    I backup before I install any new pluging.
    skin: aqua x
    best plugins: cd reader - imput, resumer - general, monkey - vis, chung yui's - output, enhancer - dsp

Winamp 3 sucks too many commercial plugins
    the video buffer is by default way off

I won't even install w5

Winamp Media Group