Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Squashman

I installed AOL Instant Messenger 5.0.2829 because the latest version from AOL keeps crashing on my Windows XP computer. When I go to login with the old version, it looks like it authenticates and then I get a pop up box stating that I am running an older version of AIM and that I need to upgrade to use the service. I only have the choice of upgrading or exiting the client. Is there any work around for this. I can seem to run an old version on my Windwos 95 laptop with no problems.

I'm taking a wild guess, and this option may only be available in only Windows Professional.

However, perhaps if you try to right click on the short cut, or the executable itself, and then go to the Compatability tab, and check "Run this program in compatability mode for Windows 95," it might work.

Haven't tried it, but just a guess.
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

I use AIM 5.2.3277,i hate the NEW version!!

I tried 5.5,it sucks!!!!!! It hogs resources,it slows the compuiter down (Well,mine..) its terrible....I think 5.2.3277 is the best one they ever released...

I see some peeps saying they get ADS with AIM and thats why DEAD AIM is needed,I DONT GET ANY ADS!!!!! I think the people getting ads with AIM are on XP and they are getting the ads thru windows messenger....

The Dude

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Squashman@Dec 16 2003, 06:25 PM
    I installed AOL Instant Messenger 5.0.2829 because the latest version from AOL keeps crashing on my Windows XP computer. When I go to login with the old version, it looks like it authenticates and then I get a pop up box stating that I am running an older version of AIM and that I need to upgrade to use the service. I only have the choice of upgrading or exiting the client. Is there any work around for this. I can seem to run an old version on my Windwos 95 laptop with no problems.
    These sort of apps dont like to be downgraded, Since you had a newer version installed, then uninstalled, and installed an older version, it will most likely be that which is causing the problems.
    if you have a backup of your registry prior to installing the latest version, then revert to that snapshot of your older registry.
    Else, you may wish to do some basic registry traversing to remove leftover AIM entries. Since removing an app generally does not remove the registy entries, and one AIM entry would have been a version number.
    Since the entry for the previous version is higher then the version you wish to install & run, it does not want to run due to version conflicts.

If you dont want to edit the registry to see if that solves the problem, then you might want to run an alternative client or use the AOL AIM web-based version, both options are in a pinned topic on the forum.

Thank god that didnt happen with me,

I upped to thge laetst 5.5 saw it was crap and luckily found 5.2.3277 againa nd re-installed it!!!!!! (Im not moving from 5.2.3277)

The Dude

CALM

I had 4.1 (think it had ads) and went BACK to 2.1 with no problems and I dont edit my registry (cuz I am too lazy to do backups :blink: )
    so you might try uninstalling and doing a download/install and see if that works for you
    ( I dont use AIM for files or even voice, just chat. But when we did do the voice thing it was REALLY COOL )
    Chris

Super Moderator

Originally posted by CALM@Dec 20 2003, 11:09 AM
    I had 4.1 (think it had ads) and went BACK to 2.1 with no problems and I dont edit my registry (cuz I am too lazy to do backups :blink: )
    so you might try uninstalling and doing a download/install and see if that works for you
    ( I dont use AIM for files or even voice, just chat. But when we did do the voice thing it was REALLY COOL )
    Chris
    I have this old voice chat program called Qtalk, no longer developed ofcourse, but i find it to be simple to use and of higher quality for any voice-voice chat app. It makes use of the yakengine which can also be found in Speakfreely, though Speakfreely is not one of the easiest apps for most to use with so many adjustments and settings and encryption.

It is simple to connect to users if you use ICQ, since the users automatically appear in the qtalk contact list if ICQ is running. then you can just double click that user you wish to chat with.

But it is just a voice chat utility which compliments ICQ, as it has no other options, but does have a little text chat mode. which really is most likely only meant for sending those "can you hear me?" texts when other users does not say anything.

I've had alot of success using it on dial-up back in the day too.

Beta

Originally posted by ABlix@Dec 16 2003, 05:06 PM
    I'm taking a wild guess, and this option may only be available in only Windows Professional.
    This option is also available in Windows XP Home Edition.
    Since AIM version 5.0 or higher isn't supported for Windows 95, this may not work. If you try to install AIM version 4.8, this will work.

And one time I had a Windows 95 computer with AIM 4.8 on it and it even wanted me to upgrade to 5.0 even though it's not supported with Windows 95.