Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

It might be useful if the listings for old versions of programs included a description that included system requirements. For instance, are any of the older versions of IE compatable with Win 3.1?

Last edited by Pete at Oct 6 2002, 12:12 PM

We've thought about it, but our question is whether you would like us to post only a few old versions once in a while while reviewing them or do what we wanted this new system to do for us which is expand our collection quickly and painlessly. We could possibly do that, but it would be harder for us to update as quickly as we plan to from now on.
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

Timeless516

I think it would be helpful if before a Download begins the MINIMUM System requrements are displayed.
    Users are sometimes looking to upgrade but not to the NEWEST version and knowing the MINIMUM requirements prior to download can be critical...

Batty

I can completely understand that.

I do, however, like to know the system requirements of an application before I download it, so that I don't have to find out the hard way (having an application failure or computer crash :blink: )

I suggest making a standard template table for the layout of system requirements so that you can just copy&paste, and then "fill-in-the-blanks" as you need to.

Example:

MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Application Version: 1.0
    Processor: 166MHz or higher
    RAM: 32 MB RAM or higher
    Hard Disk Space: 5 MB Space, 8 for install
    Video/Monitor: 640X480 resolution at 256 Colours
    Sound: Optional
    Internet Connection: 28.8 K or faster

Those are generally the system requirements I look for when downloading or purchasing a piece of softare.

Yeah, but then we would still have to find out the information for each seperate old version which can take hours. It takes us long enough to find the programs, rather the system requirements - and we do not the resources to test it.

We try to provide as much information as we can, but our main purpose is to archive the software - we add the software in batches of many to keep our archive growing as much as we can accomplish as that is our ultimate goal.

Any other tips on how we can implement that would be considered.

Thanks.
    Alex Levine
    OldVersion.com
    Helper

Beta

Pete, i think that Internet Explorer 2.0 and 1.0 would be compatible with Windows 3.1.

Beta

The minimum requirements should be at the page that you are downloading a program from.

BlueKnight

He is right i tried to downgrade to msn 4.7
    but it says i cant run it cause im not running windows xp

:/

Steve 195527

Its just as easy for us after downloading a program to find out system requirements for that one app as it is for the guys running old version.com.If anybody who downloads an application they want and cannot be bothered to researching the system requirements of one or two programs they download why should they expect the people running this FREE site to spen considerable time researching every download posted and after all a crash isn't the end of the world if your trying a program you really need/want

Release Candiate 1

I think we can all agree that posting system requirements would be a great idea. However, at this point, it is not something that we can do. This is a very time-consuming task. More importantly, it is usually impossible to find system requirements for old versions. When you find a file, you can always check the version of the program by installing it, but perhaps the only reliable way to find system requirements is by finding them in the readme file. Sometimes they can be found there.

Another point to remember is that system requirements are not a great way to evaluate the program's complexity. Each software maker has its own rules on how it calculates the minimum system requirements. Just because your system exceeds them does not mean the program will run flawlessly.

All hope is not lost. We listen to your suggestions. This feature may be added on at a later time.

- Igor