Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Beta

Here's one topic I found that discusses about this very same thing:

http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...em+requirements

Here's what ABlix said:
    Yeah, but then we would still have to find out the information for each seperate old version which can take hours. It takes us long enough to find the programs, rather the system requirements - and we do not the resources to test it.

helper

I think many people want to use older software on newer PCs.

This contrasts with those who may want to use older versions on older hardware. Often, newer software will not work on those PCs.

Consequently, it would be most helpful to have your web site indicate the minimum requirements. This should include (a) CPU speed, (B) CPU type, such as Pentium I, II, III, IV or Celeron, © Windows version, if applicable.

For instance, Windows 95 lacks certain abilities compared to Windows 98. In some instances this is important, other times it is not. Sometimes the ".NET" component is required.

Since the manufacturer's web site may no longer or may SOON no longer have this information, it would be best to have it available on your web site. As the software gets older, the manufacturer may choose to delete it's information from their web site.

System Requirments works in all forums

Please tell me the minimum and recommended system requirements for each of these DirectX versions.

Let me know operating system (Windows 95a, 95b, 95c, 98, 98se, Me, Xp, Xp SP1, Xp Sp2), processor type and speed, memory, hard drive, and all other requirements. I tried doing a search on Microsoft and Google, but a lot of this information is no longer online. If it is, it's not easy to find.

The operating system version distinction is very important because some things that claim to work on Win95 really only work on 95b and higher, and some things that claim to work on Win98 really only work on Win98se. I do not use NT or 2000 but do use XP.

What I know has been provided below.

DX 6.0
    Win95, 98. Need to know 95a/b/c and 98/98se and other requirements.

DX 6.1

DX 7.0a

DX 8.0
    Win95, 98, Me. Need to know 95a/b/c and 98/98se and other requirements.

DX 8.0a

DX 8.0b

DX 8.1b Redistributable
    Win98, 98se, Me. 2000. Need to know XP and other requirements.

DX 8.1b Runtime
    Win98, 98se, Me. Need to know other requirements.

DX 8.0a is the highest for Win95. Is that 95a, 95b, 95c, or all of 95?

DX 8.1 comes on WinXP, but I do not know whether that is 8.1, 8.1a or 8.1b and how they correspond to Win XP RTM, SP1 and SP2 as well as Home/Pro.

Lost In Time

Maybe a "compromise."

Start a discussion by members to state what it works on or do not work on.

But rather than a generic topic on the forum, have the link with the product listing so people can find it as they look at the software of interest. This way the sys req thread for products will not be lost in time but always accessible to people who are interested.

Originally posted by Lost In Time@Jun 13 2005, 01:50 PM
    Maybe a "compromise."

Start a discussion by members to state what it works on or do not work on.

But rather than a generic topic on the forum, have the link with the product listing so people can find it as they look at the software of interest. This way the sys req thread for products will not be lost in time but always accessible to people who are interested.
    it wouldnt get lost in time as people can always find it by doing a search which unfortunately they seem to not want to do,also as stated already in this thread it depends on what other software you are running i have 2 machines with identical spec but due to conflicts some software runs on one but due to other installed programs will not run on the other,so having system requirements for software wouldnt necessary help people. developers state what minimum system requirements you need to run a program but that doesnt mean it will run on your machine,as it may well conflict with other programs