Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    helpful

IE2 and IE3 will work with win3.1, but there is also a 16bit version of IE5 that will work and offers some java compatability although best to disable it if running on a pre pentium computer.

Beta

Originally posted by helpful@Apr 1 2003, 08:46 AM
    IE2 and IE3 will work with win3.1, but there is also a 16bit version of IE5 that will work and offers some java compatability although best to disable it if running on a pre pentium computer.
    If anyone wants them, you'll find them here.

patrick

hey, nice website you guys have here. i just have one suggestion. Maybe someone knowledgeable could write descriptions in the program section to describe the strengths of each version or at least to highlight the "editor's pick" version. As it is, i encounter a long list with no information when each version came out, whether the versions are compatible with my OS, and whether certain versions have the functionality i'm looking for. to determine these i have to install them for trial-and-error, and we all know that heavy un/installing is not friendly to MS Windows.

just a friendly suggestion.

Alan

Yeah, but then we would still have to find out the information for each seperate old version which can take hours...

Any other tips on how we can implement that would be considered.
    I suggest let the users contribute that info. Many software sites have links to so people can add comments. At the moment on each app's download page you have a link to "Discuss xxx", but they all lead to the same "http://www.oldversion.com/talk" top level. If you created a specific forum for each app and linked it from there, people could quickly go there. If you felt up to it, you could review these comments and summarise on the download page.

cRaZy DuTcHmAn

Hi there,

Great initiative you have. I was looking for an old version of Zonealarm and found it here. Perfect.

One question comes to mind though.

Wouldn't it be handy to show at each version you have which OS it will function correctly on?

Some people might not know which version to pick for for instance win95.

Thanks in advance.
    And I will see if I have some old software which you might find usefull

Ciao for now

mail2.the.crazydutchman@spamgourmet.com

Super Moderator

Your message has been discussed before on this board.
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...?act=ST&f=5&t=7
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...ct=ST&f=5&t=734
    The problem with figuring out which program works with which OS, is that since they are older software titles, it will be harder to locate the requirements for each version, and there really is not that much variance in the smaller updates to note those requirements.

Figuring out 400 title requirements would be a task in itself. PLUS, it would require testing them on each version of windows. ( Since it is not always noted what the requirements are.)

Figuring out what works on your PC will mostly be left to the downloader, they are not coming to this site to discover new titles, as much as to go back to a version they had once used, and prefer. So they know it worked on their computer and want to use it again.

cRaZy DuTcHmAn

Originally posted by locustfurnace@Aug 17 2003, 08:44 PM
    "Your message has been discussed before on this board.
    The problem with figuring out which program works with which OS, is that since they are older software titles, it will be harder to locate the requirements for each version, and there really is not that much variance in the smaller updates to note those requirements."
    Point Taken. True indeed. It's a hell of a job and I therefor can understand why you don't do it.

Still IF you know it works on a specific OS for shure because you used it yourself or someone else knows, it would be handy (if that is not too much work) to put it there. So no research needed. Just commen knowledge.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by cRaZy DuTcHmAn@Aug 19 2003, 11:38 AM
    Still IF you know it works on a specific OS for shure because you used it yourself or someone else knows, it would be handy (if that is not too much work) to put it there. So no research needed. Just commen knowledge.
    Yes, the problem lies here. I install ABC program, and it works fine on my system. So i say, this works well on Win 9x, 256RAM....etc.
    Then Someone else downloads it and it doesnt work on their system. Becasue they either have a conflicting app which doesnt work well with ABC program. They say the program does not work under the same requirements which i just stated it does work on.
    So it would give alittle, alittle help for someone, but in the end, it really still depends on your system.

It might be good if everyone who downloaded apps and ran them and had success to submit a ticket on working apps and on non working apps success, with system info.

But I still believe those who are looking for apps, have either a need for an older app due to previous useage of app. I don't think people come to OldVersion to find "new" apps to try on their system, This is not Cnet, or Tucows. The purpose is to get back apps people preferred using, have used, and want once again since the newest app does not fit their bill.

Requirements would be a good idea, but most likely very unwarranted for the average person who lands on this site looking for an old app.

Red

First off, congrats on a great and very usefull site. As your "mission statement" implies, many of us do not have 'state of the art' computers that can run the latest versions of software. It would therefor be useful if basic system requirments could be listed against the software versions available on this site, ie "requires Pentium 100 + 16M RAM....." etc. This would assist in choosing the right version of software compatable to your computer.

Super Moderator

please search the forum for past posting that are of the same topic, this topic has been discussed several times. By searching the past postings you will find many explainations to this question.