Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help

TheBulbasaurfreak

Is it? I don't want to use network cards yet. Can u connect 2 pcs with one modem? Or 2? Thanks for the help.

Drumbo

if you dont want to use natwork yet, then probably not. unless you have an external modem with 2 in/puts. you couldnt use a special adapter thing because it wouldnt know where to send each bit of data.

sorry mate, your gonna have to get network. dont worry, its pretty easy man

Super Moderator

Yes, you can do this without network cards, but you will still need to buy a special cable called a null modem cable, which is a special printer cable.
    then you will need something to do address translation, which can be a simple proxy, such as proxy+

you will hook the null modem cable betwen each system. and one computer must be connected to the internet, and the other can share the modem.
    Windows98 and up has this feature called ICS, Internet Connection Sharing. You can use this also instead of the proxy+, but i find the proxy+ easier to set up.
    There are instruction on the site for hooking the proxy up.
    you can read this site HERE for alot more info on DCC, Direct Cable Connections which will help you set this up.
    But it will be much slower than using a network, but it is much cheaper to start out with, and still faster then what your modem is connecting at anyway.

Minor correction to locustfurnace's post.
    Windows 98 SE has ICS, the original "98" version requires additional software.

Use the link he provided for DCC.

The same website also has instructions for ICS:
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/icsw98se.htm

If your computers already have network cards and you limit it to two computers, you don't need a hub, an ethernet crossover cable may be easier and less costly than DCC.
    See bottom of page at: http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/thisted.htm
    or (depending on your cards)...
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/j_helmig/thistedx.htm

Alternative:
    If you want to avoid networking altogether...Like Drumbo mentioned, there are special modems made for this purpose.
    Here's one:
    http://www.actiontec.com/products/modems/d...m_overview.html

TheBulbasaurfreak

Any stores in the UK that sell serial cables?

Super Moderator

Originally posted by TheBulbasaurfreak@Jan 12 2004, 01:27 PM
    Any stores in the UK that sell serial cables?
    Is there a Radio Shack there? if so you can find one there.

Make sure you tell the store what you're trying to do. This cable has a different pin-out than a printer cable.

Radio shack probably carries them, but if you're not sure about the termonology, you may be better off at a store that specializes in computers.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by Pete@Jan 12 2004, 10:02 AM
    Minor correction to locustfurnace's post.
    Windows 98 SE has ICS, the original "98" version requires additional software.
    Right, and this is where you find Proxy+ to fill the void of the missing ICS,
    The original Windows 98 does offer DCC though, just not ICS.
    Radio Shack did specialize in computers for a very long time, with their Tandy lines and later they carried Aptiva's, and i think now they handle Compaq's. But they do offer adapters and the necessary hardware if you chose to wire up your own DCC cables.

Radio Shacks Null-Modem adpaters

Staples Null Modem Cables about $5.00

Pc to PC Connections Product page

you can also do this netorwking via a USB cable, read about it here
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/usbmain.htm

Windows 9X Networking, Internet Connection Sharing

TheBulbasaurfreak

Thanks, people for your help. About USB: I thought that if u connect 2 pcs with USB, it blows them up. I live in the UK and they say that it is illegal to connect 2 pcs with USB.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by TheBulbasaurfreak@Jan 14 2004, 01:58 PM
    Thanks, people for your help. About USB: I thought that if u connect 2 pcs with USB, it blows them up. I live in the UK and they say that it is illegal to connect 2 pcs with USB.
    Who says it is illegal? People or the law? and what reason would it be illegal to hook them up via USB? is there any websites that show evidence to this claim?