Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help

TheBulbasaurfreak

In this Computer Book it says its illegal, Haynes Computer Manual.

Super Moderator

Thats interesting. Can't find anything related to that on the internet though.

This could explain the confusion (boldface added by me):
    Originally posted by http://www.usb.org/faq/ans5
    Q5: How can I connect two PCs to each other with USB?
    A5: You need a specialized USB peripheral known as a USB bridge (sometimes called a USB to USB adapter) to do this. Anchor Chips and e-Tek labs, among others, make USB bridges.

Q6: You mean I can't make a direct cable connection like a null modem?
    A6: Correct. In fact, if you try this with an illegal A to A USB cable, you'll short the two PCs' power supplies together, possibly destroying one or both machines or causing a fire hazard. Even there were no danger to the machines from the problem with two power supplies, there still wouldn't be any way to get the two PCs talking to each other, since USB doesn't support that particular kind of communication. A reasonably priced solution to handle this need is the USB bridge.

Q7: So why do people make A to A cables, anyway? What kinds of cables do I need to connect USB devices together?
    A7: A number of cable vendors seem to have reached the conclusion that USB is like a PC's serial port, only faster, so you need all sorts of special hardware to create the USB connection you need to make. This is completely incorrect. The only kind of cables you'll ever need to connect normal USB products are A to B cables, A to mini B cables or mini A to mini B cables of various lengths. Some special kinds of devices use nonstandard connectors and so come with their own special cable.

Super Moderator

[*]USB2 TO USB2 Network Cable £17.50ex VAT. This is a USB2 to USB2 NETWORK Bridge Cable. Single cable solution for network communication , construct USB network up to 17 PCs. This cable can connect 2 computers without the need of any other hardwar, providing both of your computers have USB Ports.[*]Belkin USB Direct Connect £32.89

TheBulbasaurfreak

Thanks for the advice.