Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GNU/Linux

jordanspringer

You guys at www.oldversion.com should distrubute the operating syster linux!! this is different than microsoft products because you do not have to pay a licence! this operating system is free, and you cannot find it in stores, it is only online!!!!! just an idea!

Super Moderator

Which distribution should Oldversion carry? since there exists hundreds, and many come on SEVERAL CD's, thats ALOT of space and bandwidth. and not all Linux distros can be downloaded for FREE.
    SuSE does not permit downloads of their CURRENT versions. since they use an installer which does not fall under the GPL. or LGPL. ( the GNU Public License )
    when i Purchased my last version of SuSE, it came on 8 CD's! Thats alot of data to download if one even could!
    and Mandrake 8.1 came on 9 CD's.

You can purchase Linux from some stores, such as Best Buy, Staples, Barns and Noble Bookstore, CompUSA.
    and there are many places to purchase Linux online.
    and if Oldversion would carry Linux distro's, what about *BSD's?
    well you cant download ISO's of OPENBSD do to the ISO layout being copyrighted,
    But all is not lost, if you wish to download lots of distros, there exists PLENTY of places to download em from
    almost every distro offers several mirrored sites for downloading, then there also exists.

http://www.LinuxISO.org. which hosts about 20 dozen distros.
    http://www.distrowatch.com/ has links to about about 130 different Distros.

The_Muffin_Man

Yes, if you want to download Linux, you will have to go somewhere else. I downloaded DragonLinux and it works great for me. DragonLinux was really easy to install, but the hardest part was configuring XWindows, which was a pain in the ass with my crappy NeoMagic video card.

lzw

looking for old linux iso's from last century.... redhat v1.x - 4.x or any others from that time period in iso format or any other cd image type!

thanks!!!

Super Moderator

check here

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/
    ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/

http://www.linuxhq.com/dist.html
    http://public.www.planetmirror.com/

I dont know if you will find an iso of redhat 1.0. most likely they were just passed around in tarballs. I do have Linux 0.99. its not a iso either, just a tbz. good luck

Release Candiate 1

The best best at finding old versions of RedHat Linux is to go through all their mirrors:
    http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html

They all have different amount of data, so there may be one that has versions 1-4. I had a similar problem myself and I remember the oldest I found was 5, but I did not look everywhere, so it is very possible I missed it.

I don't know if you are interested, but Slackware archives versions all the way back to 3.3:
    ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/

-igor

Super Moderator

Another thing to consider, If you only have used Red Hat 6 and up, there is a world of difference. Red Hat Linux and most Distros today are simple, piece of cake, to set up. BUT that was not always the case.

They did not come with installers, mostly you have to untar the files into place. and configure it all by hand. Even today OpenBSD, although probably one of the most easiest OS's to install. is mostly a hand edited process.

I do have Red Hat 5.0 on a commerical CD. But will have to guess anything below that was not made readily available on ISO. back then burning CD's was not as common-place as it it now. alot of the installation was via ftp. or possibly even floppy's and maybe even tape. Rem also that Windows 95 was available on CD and Floppy's as well. a friend of mine had the upgrade for windows 95 and it was on i think 15 - 17 floppys.

So with that, unless they had made iso's of the distros you wanted in the past current years, you wont probably find an original version of Red Hat 2.0 as an iso, since that probably was not the way it was distrubuted at the time.

If you do find them on iso, lets us here know. I as well would like to have an archive of versions 1.0

lzw

Thanks for the replies and links everyone... I see some pretty interesting distro's in a couple of those links to grab so will be spending some time with that but nothing very old yet.

I'm no linux guru by far but know redhat enough to get around pretty well. (currently configuring a redhat 9 server at work) I first tried it back in 98, downloading it file-by-file on my 33.6k modem and it took me a very long time just to learn to get it installed at first!

redhat's FTP so far is the very best place to get old versions from all the searching I have done.... They only go back so far for ISO's and other folders are empty, and all the way back to the first redhat version, they do have files there but they seem to be kernal patches, boot disk only, or other updates!

I'm not certain about other types of linux but I have studied readme/text files for many old verions of redhat and they all seem to refer a CD you could have ordered cheaply then, or spent a couple weeks downloading the directory tree!

At first when I started searching for old versions, my paranoia kicked in a little and I thought they must have removed them because they did not want anyone to know they ever made them! Then I realized that although a few people might have had CD burners back in the mid 90's, there was probably no good programs available for creating ISO files, and the CDR software may not have even supported ISO files!!

My hope is that someday, someone may find some of those old redhat cd's (and maybe other types to) collecting dust on a shelf somewhere and make an ISO, and maybe upload it with their broadband internet!

igor: thanks for the slackware ftp link... did not know about that!

locustfurnace: I have that .99 version to, found on some ftp a long time ago but had not tried installing it.

NOTE: there are tools that allow a person to put a bunch of old files like from linux and the image from a boot disk (used for installing) and make all of that into a self-booting/installing linux CD! I tried it before but never got the setup program to read from the CD even after the cd booted and loaded the setup program!!! Which means I don't know what I'm doing or that old of a version just did not support my modern cdr media or something...

it is possible to use old versions, just the way they were intended... Setup all the files on a DOS partition, make the boot disk and mount your DOS partition from the setup program! An iso/cd version is just so much easier!

Super Moderator

Originally posted by lzw@Jul 28 2003, 08:48 PM
    NOTE: there are tools that allow a person to put a bunch of old files like from linux and the image from a boot disk (used for installing) and make all of that into a self-booting/installing linux CD! I tried it before but never got the setup program to read from the CD even after the cd booted and loaded the setup program!!! Which means I don't know what I'm doing or that old of a version just did not support my modern cdr media or something...
    Yes, that would makeisofs, available for Unix® and even WIndows systems. I have used it to create OpenBSD ISO files, Sicne OpenBSD does not permit download of their ISO, since it is copyrighted.
    You just have to make a iso with a boot.catalog and a boot.image.

I think the folders on ftp sites that claim there was an ISO for Red Hat is just a standard folder they make - possibly, by default.

I really don't think there were iso images back when RedHat released its Mother's Day 1.0 version, Since that was in 1996. I did have a cd burner in 1997/8. it was a 2x burner, brand new. So i guess 1x came out in 1996/1997. So it was not really in wide use, to burn cd's.
    With Red Hat coming out in 1996, and being based on Slackware Linux, which would have been 1994/5 possiby. Now Linus released his Linux kernel v0.01 in August 1991 and then later Linux v0.11 in Dec 1991. and that was before there were cd burners. Mostly the linux kernel was made available on BBS or News Servers.
    It probably wasn't til 1997/8 that anyone packaged a distro for release on CD. but thats something i can't say for certain. thats something someone needs to find out.
    I just think finding any 1.0 version on a commerical CD, or an Offical version might be like looking for a unicorn.

And also as far as sticking very old versions of linux and booting it and it works, that prolly wont happen for a few reasons. such as the system was never designed for that, there is no cramfs, or compressed kernel on the cd - was never necessary back then, no iso9660 support(?) was it HIGH SIERRA back then?, there were no bootable cd's or "El Torrito" filesystems back then. ramdisk's were small back then, since there was not alot of memory - unlike today. There was no Fat32 file support back in 1991, the kernel prolly will panic when faced with modern 32bit systems. (rem win 3.1 was a 16bit system). Processors were not 686.586. back then. and many more reason while an old old version of linux most likley wont work on a modern system.

da.phreak

Hi !

I just came over this site searching for Acrobat Reader 5.5 (for Windows , nice site !

I've seen that the programs are only offered for Windows, not for Linux. It would be very nice to see old Linux versions. For example, both real.com and Acrobat offer Linux-versions of their programs.

I could provide RealPlayer8 for Linux (.rpm), if anyone is interested.