Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: What Is This

boglin

hello you wise people,and of course locustfurnace the great. every now and then whilst on the internet i can hear my hard drive working away as if its doing something and when i press ctrl alt delete something appears in the box that is not usually there, it shows as wuauboot i always end task on it and it doesnt appear to make any difference to the pc do you think it could be adware or spyware or something, any ideas?

Are you running "Windows ME"?

If so, that may be the Automatic Update. See:
    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pa.../tasklist_w.htm
    for a definition.

If you want to disable it and do updates manually see:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;EN-US;268331

Super Moderator

• Windows Startup Inspector FREE, helps users to manage Windows startup applications. Windows Startup Inspector provides information on the programs that are running at your Windows startup process. Whether a program is necessary to the system, or is the program a spyware.

You can also use msconfig to disable apps from loading at start up. Click the start / run, type msconfig, go to the startup tab.

If you are running Windows ME, it can also be the system restore application backing up your system, which should only take a few seconds.

If it is happening while your surfing the net, It could be your temporary internet cache being full and it is making space for new pages, so you might want to empty the Temp Internet folder. If it happens while running applications then that can be an indication that your swapping RAM to virtual memory (hard drive), and thats sometimes a good idication you may need more physical RAM installed. How much RAM do you have? Are you using a permanent swap space? Windows will constantly resize the swap size as the needs grow and shrink, if your disk is heavily fragmented, then you will hear the hard drive thrashing about as it reads and writes wildly across the disk. So it is a good thing if you set aside a permanent swap space, This will eliminate the constant resizing of the virtual memory.

You can read how to set up your swap space on this post.
    http://www.oldversion.com/talk/index.php?a...&st=0#entry5485

Administrator

wuauboot is the auto update facility kicking in, my windows me does exactly the same, that is presuming you are running me, if you let it run and updates are available they will download automatically and you will see an icon in the system tray,
    simply me

TheBulbasaurfreak

StartUpList is good as well.