Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

guest_guest

please advise a good cd copying program for doing 1 to1 copies i tried clone cd but want to go direct from cd to recorder without making an image file as i dont have a very big hard drive. also can i copy autorun cds so they work the same as the original, i want to back up all my discs so that i can preserve the originals, thanks

Super Moderator

If you copy an autorun cd, it will autorun, as this is usually an ini file which causes the autorun feature.
    If you computer is older, you might not be able to copy a CD at the top speed of the burner. This is why making an image file is a good thing, as you wont have to worry about buffer underruns, which can occur during coping. If your burner has "Burnproof" or some sort of underrun protection this should help prevent ruining CD's. If you experience buffer underruns, you might want to try lowering the speed at which your burning the CD.
    Make sure you have both CD-Reader, and CD-Recorder set up to use DMA, if supported by the devices. This can give you alittle extra performance boost.

• X-Copy Shareware, easy tool able to clone about any cd in market today. It is a professional product and it's especially designed to make 1:1 copy

More Shareware & Freeware CD/DVD recording titles, previous thread

TheBulbasaurfreak

burn at once is good.

Administrator

perhaps an upgrade is over due, direct copying of discs is not as reliable as making an image of it and then burning the image to disc, with the current price of parts at the moment adding another drive may well be worthwhile and a job you wont have later on.i have wasted so many discs in the past by making frizbys, i could of upgraded cheaper
    simply me

Super Moderator

Originally posted by the gaffer+Jan 16 2004, 07:51 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (the gaffer @ Jan 16 2004, 07:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>perhaps an upgrade is over due,[/b]

Remember also that the maximum recording speed, is only reachable if the system supports it, Using an older system with an old chipset that does not support UDMA33/66 wont permit the highest possible speeds while recording.

And the same goes for Hard drives, if the MOBO is older, then it wont support the higher speeds or even support higher capacity disks, without using cylinder limitation overlay software.

Recording too fast will create a coaster, while lowering the speed will better your chances of not creating coasters.
    Creating a CD image will definitely improve your chances of not ruining CD&#39;s, but does take longer than on-the-fly recording. and not very fun if your making dozens of backup CD&#39;s.

<!--QuoteBegin--the gaffer
    @Jan 16 2004, 07:51 AM
    i have wasted so many discs in the past by making frizbys, i could of upgraded cheaper[/quote]
    You would have had to ruin alot, hundreds of disks, to make the claim that the cost of a hard drive would have been cheaper. If you have problems making CD-R&#39;s, then using a CD-RW would be a good way to practice the best combination to get the job done right, as they *supposedly* can be re-written up to 1,000 times.

Administrator

the quote i made was based on the price cdr were and not what they currently cost, when i first started burning cds i had a 1 in five success rate so yes i did in fact waste hundreds of discs and at the time had no assistence like is available now as in the forums all over the internet and indeed here on oldversion.in fact until recently i had no internet access so i had a long road of trial and error, although some good has come of it as my father has a stack of these coasters and still pegs them out on strings every year to keep the birds off his garden seed and they also deter cats as they dont like the sun flashing off of them.
    simply me

Super Moderator

Understand that, but if your basing the cost of CD-rs back years ago, when they were several dollars a piece, you have to also then realize that hard drives where much more costly as well. I have a sale&#39;s receipt still for an older 8gig hard drive i purchased, i paid &#036;300USD for 8 gigs. When i purchased a new machine with Windows95, it came with a then *large capcaity* hard drive of 2.1gigs, which was not common, as a friend purchased his computer months later and it came with a 850megs hard drive.

I still have my 1x burner, and 1 CD-r left from the box i picked up with the burners purchase. Though i dont use it, cant stand waiting for an hour & 20 minutes to burn a single CD.

There were lots of places many years ago where you could have gotten computer help also, not as wide spread as todays Internet, but it was useful for getting files, you used terminal programs (windows has Hyper-terminal) and dialed into BBS systems. If you were lucky to have a local BBS it did not cost you, but for the most part i had to call across the US accessing different BBS systems to get schematics and reading materials and files. Was alot more expensive then when the internet was starting out too, as the price for calling BBS varied due to the cost of LD calls. In the back of many trade magazines you could find BBS systems numbers.

Hopefully your no longer toasting coasters.

Administrator

i no longer make coasters infact i havent made one in the last 12 months or so, but doesnt it seem strange actually thinking about the old computer days when we all started out with no knowledge at all,no system restore no back up devices, i guess the things we take for granted now are really a luxury.as far as magazines are concerned they were also a luxury for some of us, and just imagine we didnt even consider a phone line until the early 90s, i guess you were way in front of me.
    simply me

Super Moderator

Had a backup devices years ago, still have it, course cant find the medium for it any longer, but it is a SCSI tape drive. I ended up using a fan from it into a thin-client jukebox project i built.
    I have boxes and boxes of old parts, plus stacks of hard drives which back then where BIG capacity too, still have an 80megs hard drive. and i have even used it in another jukebox project, just to run the OS off of.
    Had a nice cassette tape backup system for my TI99/A also, stil have all the parts, boxes and manuals for the TI99/A. and still in the box, a tape drive for a commodore.
    I have video card drivers still on 5 1/4" floppies as well. and about 10 5 1/4" floppy drives.
    Talk about SLOW, try hooking 2 computer up across the phone lines to send files via terminal sesssions back in the 80&#39;s. Could even chit chat too.
    Nostalgia is great, but lacks the horsepower of today. Can keep those nostalgic times where they are, in memory.