Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the OldVersion.com Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Icqpro2003b

Super Moderator

the link you posted is not properly formatted, please check your link and make the corrections.
    The main or Menu box is on the contact list as shown on the link i posted.

Super Moderator

Originally posted by cynthia@Jan 25 2004, 05:06 AM
    I want to minimize the main box screen (the one that contains your contact list, main etc) to the system tray, (just like minimizing a message received from someone to the system tray), however, when I do minimize ( _ ) the main screen box, it disappears into the green flower located in the system tray and I dont want to have to click the green flower each time I wish to open the main box. How can I program it to do this?
    as i said, I can not recall in the 6 years i have used all differnt versions of ICQ, of it have ever been able to minimize to the taskbar, it has always, as far as i can recall, gone to the system tray.
    You might be trying to do something that is the program was not designed to do.

When you minimize a message from a user, it goes to the Taskbar, not the system tray.
    The contact list will go to the system tray as a flower icon.

You have to realize that the taskbar, and system tray are seperate docks. When you minimize a chat message, it goes to the taskbar, which also has the Start icon.
    The System tray is another dock, it houses icons such as the clock, volume icon, your network connection lights, and the ICQ flower.
    if you dont want to keep clicking on the flower, you can do many things, such as make those users you are talking with as floating contacts or stop the Contact List from minimizing all together.
    these are options you can adjust in the preferences.

cynthia

why does the main box have a minimize button on it if you are unable to minimize it?

Super Moderator

Originally posted by cynthia+Jan 25 2004, 07:51 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cynthia @ Jan 25 2004, 07:51 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>why does the main box have a minimize button on it if you are unable to minimize it?[/b]

I explained this already.
    <!--QuoteBegin--locustfurnace
    @Jan 21 2004, 01:34 AM
    The minimze button minimizes the app to the systray, the x will close ICQ down.......while the contact list can minimize to the systray (where the clock is and flower icon) This is why there is a minimize button, so you can send the contact list to the systray.
    [/quote]
    When you say main box, you are referring to the Contact List?
    You are able to minimize the contact list, to the system tray. If you enabled the sticky bit on the program or disabled the auto-hide feature, it would be locked on the desktop at all times. Which many people do in fact does this, but there are certain times when they wish to minimize the contact list, as it may get in the way, so they need that option to be able to minimize it to the system tray when the situation calls for it, otherwise they would have to contantly keep changing the behaviour of the program, which would be too much of a hassle.

cynthia

what i am trying to do is how/why the menu box (the box that opens when you click the flower icon that contains your contact list), will not sit in the system or task tray when I minimize it (i do not know what that tool bar at the bottom of the screen is called that contains the clock/icq flower, task scheduler etc), when i click the minimize button on the menu box of icq that contains your contact list, it appears to disappear into the green icq flower, what I want the menu box to do is;

minimize to either the task bar or system tray, just the same as you minimize a message received from someone on your contact list. What part of icq do I go to, to enable this 2 be done?

PS: what is the sticky bit you are reffering to in your last post?

Super Moderator

Originally posted by cynthia+Jan 25 2004, 11:14 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (cynthia @ Jan 25 2004, 11:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>(i do not know what that tool bar at the bottom of the screen is called that contains the clock/icq flower, task scheduler etc)...[/b]

Originally posted by -locustfurnace@Jan 25 2004, 05:15 AM
    The System tray is another dock, it houses icons such as the clock, volume icon, your network connection lights, and the ICQ flower.
    Originally posted by -cynthia@Jan 25 2004, 11:14 PM
    what I want the menu box to do is; minimize to either the task bar or system tray, just the same as you minimize a message received from someone on your contact list. What part of icq do I go to, to enable this 2 be done?
    Originally posted by -locustfurnace@Jan 25 2004, 05:15 AM
    When you minimize a message from a user, it goes to the Taskbar, NOT the system tray.
    The contact list will go to the system tray as a flower icon.
    Originally posted by -cynthia@Jan 25 2004, 11:14 PM
    when i click the minimize button on the menu box of icq that contains your contact list, it appears to disappear into the green icq flower,
    The menu box you are referring to is infact the contact list.
    The contact list (menu box) only has ever gone to the system tray dock as a flower icon. As i said, i can not recall it ever having docked on the taskbar, it has always disappeared as a flower icon to the system tray dock.

You want the contact list (menu box) to sit on the taskbar, I have never seen this happen in any version I&#39;ve used.
    I went through all the icq2003a preferrences tonight, enabling each and every single one, using the default settings also, and it never docked on the taskbar, each time i clicked the minimize widget, it always disappeared as a flower icon in the system tray dock. Which has been the way icq has always worked, and whenever i want to re open the contact list (menu box) i had to always double click, or right click on the flower icon.
    If what you want is even possible, then it has to be documented in the icq help files, or on the web site. Which i checked I did not see any referrences to this being mentioned.

<!--QuoteBegin--cynthia
    @Jan 25 2004, 11:14 PM
    what i am trying to do is how/why the menu box (the box that opens when you click the flower icon that contains your contact list), will not sit in the system or task tray when I minimize it [/quote]
    Because it was not designed to do this. What you are trying to do is something that can&#39;t happen. It will only ever disappear, and to make it reappear, you have to click on the flower icon.

Thankyou for your reply which is very much appreciated, however, below is a copy of advice I received from icq to overcome this problem, however, I&#39;m not sure if they understood what my problem was and they have given me instructions on what to do, which does not pertain to my problem.

1. Backup your message history. To do so please shut down ICQ (&#39;Main&#39; menu
    button ->Shut Down), now copy all files inside the directory &#092;ICQ&#092;2003b&#092;
    into a different location on your hard disk. (The 2003b folder is by default
    under: C:&#092;Program Files&#092;ICQ&#092;2003b)

2. Run the ICQ Database Administrator feature - Aimed to fix problems in
    your local database which contains your message history and contact list
    information. While ICQ is shut down, click the START button -> Programs ->
    ICQ -> ICQ DB Administrator.
    Choose the ICQ user and click &#39;Next&#39;. Click the &#39;Fix - Fix your databse if
    errors interrupt your use of ICQ&#39; radio button and click &#39;Next&#39;.
    After the procedure is completed, click the "Done" button.

I do not know how/what to do in respect to their number 1 instruction as above?

Super Moderator

They sent you instructions on rebuilding your contact list. I do not see running through these steps as achieving what you want.

Step 1, says to backup. You backup your contact list as instructed. The part that says
    now copy all files inside the directory &#092;ICQ&#092;2003b&#092; into a different location on your hard disk. (The 2003b folder is by default under: C:&#092;Program Files&#092;ICQ&#092;2003b).
    Requires you to enter the icq folder, which you can do by going through the My Computer desktop icon. Double licking on the C: drive icon. then navigating to the Program Files folder.
    Then you will look for the icq folder. Or you can copy n paste this line into the Start, Run comand
    "c:&#092;program files&#092;icq"
    this should open the Windows Explorer file manager, and stick you right into the icq folder, so that you can then procede to follow out the instructions given to you.
    once you are in the proper ICQ folder, you will backup the folder 2003b, which is as simple as right clicking on the folder, selecting COPY, then click anywhere and right click and select paste, this will create a folder called Copy of 2003b, which will be your backup copy. All the files should be identical to the 2003b folder.

This should take care of your #1 step. follow instrcutions for the rest of the steps. As far as these procedures permitting the Contact list to dock on the taskbar, I do not see how.